Why become a member? ×

Hello from The Black Country UK

geoff90guitar

I’ve been a member on Basschat for quite a few years now and since I discovered the site I’ve been chopping and changing continuously, at times I’d wished I hadn’t found it! - but it’s a great site.
Unfortunately at the age of 69 it’s getting closer to packing it in. I’m still out once every week. I feel I missed some time watching my kids growing up with so many gigs and private functions with 3pm to bed, I don’t want it to happen so much with my grandkids.

Anyway, experience has concluded MY ultimate gear:
1971 Precision
1998-9 Fender USA deluxe Precision.
Eden 400 and Trace SMX300 heads.
I’ve owned the AH250 many times but it’s just the blxxdy weight.

Cabs: 
For many years Trace compact 1x15 and 2x10, easy to drive with various Trace heads BUT, they did catch the paintwork on the wheel arch of the car when loading, so I later went for a pair of Bergantino 12’s with horn/without, which easily plonked onto the back seat.
Disadvantage is that the Bergs need a lot of power to drive. The Trace SMX300 wasn’t quite enough hence a trial of class D amps, 500W and above. I went through most class D stuff persuaded by the hype and tripe - never again unless I’m in church.

I’ve tried neo’s Markbass cabs, Celestion neo loaded cabs etc etc but na, ideal for bloating double bass but electric bass na, can’t get em to rock.

The Bergs use 350W Eminence speakers (80oz magnets), very nice solid full sound but too creamy for my liking, I like raunchy Celestion. IMO I think the USA stuff is fat, sort of pretty sounding but the Celestions seem more aggressive and give me a better feel with  drive. (I maybe mistaken but I recall Hammond organs were made in America and a few made in the UK and that the American Hammonds had a creamier Sound than the UK ones which were more aggressive sounding. Whether it was the EL34’s in the revolving Leslie speaker amp or Marshall 4x12s I can’t remember).

Bit late in the day now but I’ve ended up with the best of both worlds and it works great. The creamy Berg HT112ER on top of a small Trace combo with the head cut off with a raunchy Celestion 300w 15 inside. Either of my two amps can drive this now. The cabs are roughly the same size. Very powerful and shoves onto the back seat without touching the car doorway.

picture of my setup to follow

Edited by geoff90guitar

Good evening, Geoff, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share (but you knew that anyway, didn't you..?).
What kept you all these years..?We've been waiting for a long while now to, at last, tip the balance between the 'old fogeys' and the whippersnapping upstarts, and now is maybe the time to declare that 'Oldies Rule..!' B|

(Now, where did I put my glasses..? I had them on a minute ago, before making a ... What did I make..? Tea..? Coffee..? Dunno, now; anyway, it's time for cocoa, isn't it. Isn't it..? No..? Well, what time is it, then, and have you seen my glasses anywhere..? :$ )

• 3 months later...

Well, all change again. The Bergs did need a lot of power and after going through the class d heads and losing money with the so called power above 500W needed, I concluded this crap is not for me. Having tried many neo speakers and been disappointed with them, I thought I’d buy a Barefaced compact cab after reading the great reviews and plenty of push from the designer (why not?). It’s true, the drummer will tell you to turn down because he can hear you BUT I found the sound , loud clear, and irritating with no balls.

Hence back full circle after 3 years of trials, a Trace Elliot style set up, 1x15 cab and 2x10 cab. A stage further, recently I bought Ashdown compacts since the handles are in the horizontal plain and easier to slide onto the back seat as opposed to the Trace handles. I can put up with the Blues but may change for Celestions when they come up.

Edited by geoff90guitar

On 1/19/2018 at 18:37, geoff90guitar said:

Unfortunately at the age of 69 it’s getting closer to packing it in. I’m still out once every week. I feel I missed some time watching my kids growing up with so many gigs and private functions with 3pm to bed, I don’t want it to happen so much with my grandkids.

I've just started gigging at 63. My local grand-sprogs' (4yo & 2yo) first gig will be my band this Sunday. The joy and fun of live music is a gift you can share with them.

Nice basses :-)

Welcome!

• Like 1