Why become a member? ×

Video Audio device

tonyclaret

Hi,

What are the best non pro options for capturing live audio and video. 

Im presuming nobody gets anything of any real quality via a mobile device?

What’s best bang for buck? Anything out there under £200 smackers? Cheaper the better.

i was thinking good options for capturing the odd rehearsal or some of my bass playing bad habits !!

cheers

Tony

Zoom Q2n has excellent audio and ok video.  A similar alternative would be GoPro HERO5 Session - I believe bassist Janek Gwizdala is a fan.

To go up a level of video quality, something like a second-hand Nikon D3200 (or any SLR/similar camera with a mic input) combined with an external mic like a Zoom H1.  I think you could just about do this for £200.

10 minutes ago, ivansc said:

Blimey! An EIGHT PIECE BAND!  Bet you dont play many pub gigs... Fun stuff though - love me some Paulo

Ha... yeah. We’re just a bunch of pals who all. play with other people, and sometimes each other. 

The fiddle player is in Sting’s band, so we don’t see him much :-D

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 21:53, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

+1 for the Zoom Q2N. This video was shot using it. The audio suffers slightly from being the wrong side of the front of house, but it's still usable. 

Do you think that girl realises that you can see her knickers?

Should have worn a slip ...

You might also consider saving some money to get some lighting. Most gig videos (of smaller gigs to least) tend to suffer due to lack of light make no footage grainy, and what light there is is coloured LEDs which don’t really complement humans. I reckon some cheap DIY shop floods with dispersion gel out the front would probably improve video quality more than several hundred quid of video technology. 

• Like 1