Why become a member? ×

How do i power a Le Bass Two Notes with a Cioks DC5

dave_bass5

Im thinking about getting the above pedal to replace my BDDI and VMT on my pedal board. Im powering my board with a Cioks DC5. I know ill need a splitter lead but can anyone point me in the right direction as to what one, and the easiest way to get it.

I dont have the Le Bass yet, as i want to see how easy it will be to get the power side sorted first.

Cheers.

@dannybuoy is right, you won’t get any problems with less current draw, but it may not be as effective in how it works.

As a rule a pedal will only draw what it can/needs to a max, so even if you connected it to something with a 5000mA capacity it will still only draw what it needs which if I remember correctly is 500mA.

Voltage as I said is different, you have to get it right or it’s a cooked pedal.

Not always the case. Depends on the power supply design I suppose, but some will shutdown when your pedals are drawing too much power. It’s likely that the Le Bass needs less than quoted in the manual, and the DC5 puts out more than quoted in the manual since both vendors factor in a safety margin, and somewhere in the middle the pedal is getting all the juice it needs whilst the power supply just starts to sweat a little bit!

7 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

...Two Notes is worth every penny

Particularly if you can get one in decent condition second hand ... 

5 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

....BTW I’ll be having a Le Bass up for sale very soon if you’re after one! 

:) 

If it's replacing your BDDI and your VMT it sounds ideal, as you'll be making full use of both channel A and channel B on the 2 Notes.

Edited by Al Krow

The Le Bass will also work off 9v as I found out when I bought mine (used) and it came with an 18v supply...

I suspect it's not sounding its best at 9v, but it still sounds killer. Alas GAS for a helix has me in its grip so mine may also be going up for sale soon... 

@dave_bass5 your thread clearly seems to have sparked an exodus of Two Notes owners (which is putting you in a buyers market all of a sudden) a bit like Rat Tail Fuzzes leaving the ship? :) 

Cuzzie will have his on his board until his final bass playing days (or certainly for another 6 months at least) for sure.

I've actually gone in the opposite direction from you in finding that the VMT / B3K + EQ on my DG M900 actually provides me everything I was getting out of my Two Notes, which meant I moved mine on a short while back.

I'd also say it's maybe worth waiting until the new Origin dirt pedal that @krispn has spotted comes out at NAMM 2018 in a week's time to see what capability that has. A few of us are getting pretty excited about this Origin dirt, in anticipation. If it has a HPF / LPF I'm going to find it hard to resist...

@Al Krow 2 -3 people may move it on, it’s an absolute tidal wave tsunami of dissenters and nay sayers.

If you bought shares in Two Notes i’d Sell right now......

Remeber on the DC5 you have a voltage select switch on the ports as well how much mA it puts out so it’s very useable either with a current summing cable I sent a link to or a stack flex.

I Power Cali compressors and Two Notes and all sorts from the DC5. You will have no worries with it.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry im a bit late responding. Didn’t get notification emails. 

I had read that the box will just take as much as it needs, so in theory I don’t have to buy a new cable, but at the end of the day i guess i will to get the most out of it. 

The only concern i have now is that it will be too big for my Pedaltrain Nano+ board. I hadn’t looked in to this aspect when i started this thread. I put the board together to skip all my boxes neatly together, so I’m not going to go back to multiple boxes on the floor. Saying that, maybe It would fit well enough, even thoug hit will jut out.

At the moment i have my Line 6 receiver, Cali 76 CB, BDDI, VMT (or sometimes Joyo OJ) and Zoom 60B ( running as a tuner and chorus). The BDDI and Cali are on all the time and i just need a dirtier tone without sounding like a OD for some songs, without tuning the BDDI off. I find the VMT is a bit dark sounding (although works in general), and the OJ a bit bright sounding. Both good, but not what I’m really looking for.

I might get rid of the Cali as i dont find i need it as much as i hoped (still got a Spectracomp) and my thinking is to get rid of the BDDI as well. The Le Bass could cover the BDDI and VMT duties in one box....in theory. I just like the idea of the two tones in one box and fancy giving the Le Bass a try. Not really interested in the other boxes like the MXR etc, nor the DG stuff. I want dirt all the time, then a bit more of it as and when needed. 

Al. The Origin will be too expensive to consider just now, and i know i wont really need all those knobs. I could happily live with what i have now, but the Le Bass is just something i have GAS for. I also have a VTBass DI that i dont on the board, use and of course all the OD’s etc in the Zoom to try.  

Ill keep an eye on the classifieds for one of these. I’m in no hurry. Worst case scenario i can use it for headphone practice at home instead of my B3n. 

The Two Notes is big for a nano+ butbit May work if you place it sideways. It will fit in a 3 rail metro pedal board snug as a bug in a rug.

If I were you I absolutely would not get rid of the Cali76 CB, you will probably regret it and realise what it did, only after losing it.

You May find the Two Notes usurps the BDDI, but that will be your ears buddy, there is no right or wrong here. Certainly between the B channel stacked with the BDDI or hot or cold fusion etc. There are a bunch of sounds at your finger tips.

Yes I am biased, towards the Cali and the Two Notes. I don’t know anyone that does not like them, or boasts about their quality, you may love it like I do.

No rights or wrongs here, just right and righter

The issue i have with the Cali is that i dont need it. I don’t need a compressor at all, but every now and then i buy one only to sell it soon after. I really, really want to keep it and i probably will, at least for now. I know i can get by with the Spectracomp, but the Cali is really nice. I’m just not sure i need to keep that sort of money tired up when i could easily sell it and still have a good comp. 

I love the BDDI but i only use it with the blend hardly on. I use it to ad a bit more depth, weight/warmth  to my tone, so I’m not depending on this box to colour the tone in a certain way,  as long as i have some sort of pre amp on the board. I think Channel A of the Le Bass will easily replace the cleaner tone of the BDDI, and having the same tone with a bit more dirt is preferable to adding in another new tone from a second pedal. 

I’m not adverse to getting a larger board, although it would be getting a larger board for less pedals lol. 

I did like the idea of using the Le bass at home for silent practice  as well though. 

Edited by dave_bass5

I think you are spot on with what the A channel will give you. See how you get on with the LeBass and Cali, you can set it up to push the signal to eeek even more out of it.

Like I said I am very biased, but if I compare any of my Cali’s vs the MXR and DG compressors I had, there is no comparison, it’s not just the compression, it’s the extra bit of juice it gives. 

You are right about having money tied up, but the Cali76 is not a massive depreciating asset like other pedals, so as long as it is on good nick you are sorted, plus it should sell pretty quick whenever you do decide to mive it on.

Keep it as a legacy fornyout descendants!

Yeah your’re right, i dont need to get shot of it, only if i do stop using it. It’s stasying put for now anyway. I find it more useful with my Jazz bass than my P bass, and  I’m hoping to start using my Sire 5 Sting next week so maybe it will make a difference. Either way, it looks cool and i cant imagine me finding anything better. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Guys, ive had a rethink and am going to try and get a Darkglass Vintage Ultra instead. As much as i love the look and sound of the Le Bass two things dont quite appeal to me. 

I feel that channel A just doesnt have enough EQ to warrant me using it as an always on. My amp has more EQ. Now, if i could use Channel B as always on, and switch in Chanel A to boost and drive channel B harder that would work, but unless I’m missing something you have to hit both switches at the same time. This seems a bit fiddly to me, and not something i want to think about. 

The other issue is size, although i could live worth that if it wasnt for the above.

Looking at the DG it seems to do what i want, in a box that will fit my board without issues. For clean or slightly warm the EQ options seem better, and the ability to  just add a bot of drive over the top is ideal. It a lot more money but from all the demos ive seen of both pedals the DG ones seem to be closer to what I’m looking for. This can definitely replace the BDDI and VMT, and leave me with space for something else. 

Cheers for all the advice though.

5 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

The issue i have with the Cali is that i dont need it. I don’t need a compressor at all, but every now and then i buy one only to sell it soon after. I really, really want to keep it and i probably will, at least for now.

Love it! My exact ambivalent feelings towards compressors! Various of my BC mates regularly tell me how wonderful compression is and that it will transform my playing 'in the mix' to something more akin to James Jamerson, and that the Cali and Spectracomps in particular will deliver this magic,  but only by adjusting the dials in the perfect way that folk with years of experience with compression know how...

34 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Guys, ive had a rethink and am going to try and get a Darkglass Vintage Ultra instead. As much as i love the look and sound of the Le Bass two things dont quite appeal to me. 

I feel that channel A just doesnt have enough EQ to warrant me using it as an always on. My amp has more EQ. Now, if i could use Channel B as always on, and switch in Chanel A to boost and drive channel B harder that would work, but unless I’m missing something you have to hit both switches at the same time. This seems a bit fiddly to me, and not something i want to think about. 

The other issue is size, although i could live worth that if it wasnt for the above.

Looking at the DG it seems to do what i want, in a box that will fit my board without issues. For clean or slightly warm the EQ options seem better, and the ability to  just add a bot of drive over the top is ideal. It a lot more money but from all the demos ive seen of both pedals the DG ones seem to be closer to what I’m looking for. This can definitely replace the BDDI and VMT, and leave me with space for something else. 

Cheers for all the advice though.

Makes good sense sense. IMHO the DG dirt and Two Notes Channel B can get pretty darned close to each other and in that sense are valid substitutes. I also totally get what you're saying about size and Channel A. 

Engaging both switches together to get cold or warm fusion was also something I was initially concerned might be fiddly. But actually it's VERY straightforward - and I have 'normal' sized feet and not Cuzzies size 12s; so that shouldn't be a deciding factor for you.

If you're thinking about the DG Vintage Ultra maybe worth also checking out the DG AO? I think Wunjos on Tottenham Court Road have a fair selection of DG pedals you could A/B (and you can try out an Ibby SR or a Warwick while you're there too :)

Cheers Al.

I think engaging the two together would have gotten easier but it looks liek I mighty have had to mount the Le Bass sideways on the board. Mighty have been a bit tricky hitting both together that way round. I have size 11.5 feet, and if I’m not wearing trainers it can get a bit cramped when using switches on my tightly packed board.

Ive gone ahead and ordered the Ulta, it will be here Monday. Ive got a rehearsal on Thursday so i can test it out. If i dont like it ill send it back and start again. I have a feeling i will like it a lot. I’m looking to just warm up the amp, and with the same tone but a bit hotter for when the guitarist is soloing (so probably  used on all the time lol), plus a bit more dirt for punk/new wave songs. 

There are a few pedals that can do all this, but the DG seems to have the best control over how the two parts work together for me. I love the DG level/blend implementation, i find it very versatile. 

I had considered the AO or Ao but i wanted one pedal with two switches on it, rather than something got run along side the BDDI. As much as ive always loved the BDDI i feel its not a tone that is working for me at the moment. 

It’s funny but when i got my latest BDDI a couple of months ago it felt like an old friend had returned and we would never again part. Funny how things change so quickly.

If the Vintage Ultra turns out to be exactly what you are after, I'm going to suggest something a little left field that may be even better.

Don't know what amp you are currently using?

But if you want the capability of an amp that has everything that the VMT Ultra has to offer (and more with a B3K option) AND perhaps the finest clean EQs of any amp in the market today, all of which can be accessed by a small footprint 'intelligent footswitch' and provides headroom in spades, then have a think about and returning the VMT Ultra and moving your amp on (or keep it as a back up, if that makes more sense) and get this instead (if it hasn't already sold) :

Just a thought!

@dave_bass5 and @Al Krow just checking you both know that the vintage ultra is different from the vintage deluxe.

If you wanted the sound of the vintage microtubes pedal with an EQ, then you wanted the deluxe. The Ultra will do you a fine EQ and sound, there is no doubt about that, but it will be different and will in no way be comparable to what the Two Notes May or may not offer you. Nothing wrong it, but it is something to make note of.

Again the AO is a completely different beast. I would not compare any of those pedals actually together as they all do a different job albeit with a modicum of crossover, but it is still a good pedal.

@dave_bass5 don’t be swayed by the nay sayers like @Al Krow about compression. We have this discussion ad nauseum as whatever you do, looking at your chain you have already added compression to your chain, so you are doing it! Cali76 is more than a compressor.

I am sure you have made the right decision for you and hope you get the sound you want. Let us know 

Cheers guys. 

Al. I use a Markbass F1 head, and also have a GK MB800. I like to alternate these but I think as far as heads go I’m going to stick with them. Ill never sell the F1, as i like it too much (plus is a red version), but i do find the Eq lacking. It’s actualy the VMT tone i dont like, at least, not without being able to EQ it better. 

I’m with you on the Compressor comments. Ive had about 5-6 over the years, always based on me reading comments on here and TB about the magic they will add. Always struggled to find this and quickly sell them off. 

The spectracomp came about because i was using my Jazz bass and found the two strings a bit lacking. Plus the band kept telling me to turn down at rehearsals, so i figured a comp will keep me in the mix at a lower freq. It worked fine, and i have no really issues with that comp, other than its lack of tweak ability in a live situation. Although i know what the main knobs do on a comp the Spectracomp seems to go way beyond that, and I found i needed to set all that before heading out. Quite tricky as i dont use a cab or rig at home. The preset stuff worked fine but there were times i really wanted to tweak aspects of the comp, and couldn’t. The Cali came about after reading another thread on here and thinking this must be the one for me. Faily simple to use in a live situation, well regarded and with a bit of ‘cool’ attached to it (pre Xmas GAS after getting my bonus).

But then i read if I’m using distortion i may not need a comp. This i find to be true. I tend to turn it off if using the BDDI and VMT at the same time. Thing is i dont use that much distortion and not all the time. I find when the BDDI is off the Cali works better for me. When the BDDI is on the Cali seems to make everything a bit ‘less good’ tone wise, although it does allow me to turn up without jumping out of the mix. Thing with the Cali is i can keep tweaking it at rehearsals until i do get it working better, plus now the BDDI is going i might stand a better chance with it as an always on. I do find it a lot more transparent than the Spectracomp, which is a good thing i guess. It also helps getting closer to an old recorded bass tone. Gimmie some lovin for instance. I turn the comp level up and i get a really nice compressed bass tone, just like the recording. As i play mostly with a pick it also helps even the atatck  out and i can get closer to finger style with it, so it has its uses. 

Bottom line is i dont need compression, never have,  but I’d like to get the benefits from using one, now i have a good one. I do get why they are used and how they can be an asset, its just so far ive not hit the sweat spot with it. I definitely feel it works more with my Jazz bass than P bass. If i was to sell it I’d put the Spectracomp back on the board. This is my first ever board and what I find is I’m now keen  to use the pedals i have. Before i was too lazy yo use more than one or two. 

Cuzzie. Good point about the different DG boxes. I started with the VMTD and loved it, but got rid of it after about a year when i was lent a VTBass. I switched to using a VTBass deluxe for a while, and loved that as well, but i was forever fiddling with it. I sort of missed the simplicity of the  DG so got the VMDT II. Big mistake. I hated it and quickly sent it back. I felt the lack of the Vintage knob was a step back. I ended up getting a VMT. Used it for a while but sold it to get a VTBass DI. Loved the DI (still got it) but then realised i needed a bit more dirt from another pedal, so brought my VMT back. Started using the two together but went off the idea of using the VMT as I still didn’t like the  tone much. I also found the VTBass wasnt quite what i wanted, and that the BDDI was.  Now i i brought a BDDI to use with it and while its an ok combo i still dont like the VMT much, although it works for what i need. 

So here i am getting another VMT. I realise this one also doesnt have the Vintage knob, but I’m now at a stage where I don’t feel ill need it. i like to set and forget my pedals as much as possible. Ill get a nice clean tone from it, set the right amount off dirt from the top row and bobs your uncle....in theory. Ill have the ability to get a bit dirtier without changing the character of the tone with one foot switch. If i need more dirt i can turn up the drive without the overal level chaninging, more or less, so it makes tweaking this part of the tone less hassle than doing it with my BDDI, which would increase the volume quite a bit if i turn the drive up, which then means turning the level down, then back up etc. 

I spent a good few hours last night listening to a lot of You tube videos. I know, not the best thing to do but other than the over the top distortion ones i found a few where the drive was used ina very subtle way, and this appealed to me. I tend to use my VMT with the Vintage knob right up and the drive almost off. This is the sort of tone I’m looking for but with a much greater EQ range. All this in a box that will fit my board and take the place of two other boxes. 

Yeah, GAS struck hard this weekend lol. 

Mate, I think you are spot on for you and you have it in a nutshell, from what I can read you have written.

My suspicion about the BDDI and compression is that the Sansamp compresses the signal anyway and adding further compression squashes it more than Big daddy in a wrestling fight.

You will have loads of fun with the DG box, and then you can sit and play with all things in the chain, different orders (compression beginning/end/mid chain) get the sound you want and then either lay aside the box you don’t need in case you change your mind later, or move something out.

Experimentation is the key and a whole heap of fun.

Cant wait to hear how it goes

The Ultra versions are great for the adjustable mid EQ points, but the dual footswitch thing isn't that useful IMHO. Without the Ultra's drive engaged, you just have a (very good) clean EQ, however you're stuck with those same EQ settings with the drive on and off. If your amp had a decent EQ already and you don't really need another clean EQ, it'd be better to use the pedal's EQ just to sculpt the drive tone, making the clean/dirty switching redundant.

E.g. I find that when using the Vintage with the blend towards the wet side I like to dial in a dollop of bass and treble boost, which I might not necessarily want when I switch back to a clean sound. Therefore I'd just turn the whole pedal on or off, so could have just stuck with the regular VMTD!

Cuzzie. Maybe its the slight compression in the BDDI that does make it appealing to me. My one is the current verisobn with the mids so its quite versatile, but still has quite a heft to it that just doesn’t seem to need compression as well. 

I will have fun with it, and i cant wait to try it out with the band. I know ill sell it on at some point, and i do still have an old BDI21 that i can use rather than buy another BDDI if it ever comes to that. Hopefully it wont for a long time though. Ill report back on Friday to finish the thread.

Danny. Yep, i had thought that through. The plan is to use the much better EQ on the Ultra to shape my clean tone, than just add a very small amount of dirt with the other button as and when i need it. With the DG pedals ive had before i dont think ive ever run the blend higher than 10 o’clock. Obviously ill need to put this in to practice, and i might even find the Ultra is used always one with both buttons engaged and I use my Joyo OJ or VTBass DI for the extra stuff. I still have the toggle switched to play with that I assume are only used for the drive section. 

It’s going to be interesting and i cant wait to try it all out. 

Funny how my simple threads turn out to cost me loads of money lol

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Funny how my simple threads turn out to cost me loads of money lol

Haha - you're on a thread with @dannyboy and @Cuzzie, of course it's going to cost you loads of money. I can lay the blame for getting both a Two Notes and DG M900 amp squarely at their door.

Any thread that involves them both simultaneously should come with major GAS expenditure health warning (especially when they are singing off the same hymn sheet)! You need someone like @Osiris to step in and bring back some sanity after prolonged exposure to either of them! :D