Why become a member? ×

Gigging without a car

Twanger

I think based on the responses here, there's largely two groups: those in a big city and the rest. Those in a big city mostly play in their city, where driving and parking is probably not very convenient and the venues they play are venues that either have their own PA, lights etc, or do not require any of that. So these people mostly use public transport, and travel light anyway. Then, the rest, don't live anywhere where public transport is a viable alternative because of the amount of gear they need to take and the lack of coverage. 

I did dozens of gigs all over the UK and in Europe via Eurostar as a solo bassist last year.

You just need to plan exactly what you need to take on a gig, then sit and plan on how to take it. 

The photo below show my rig en-route to s show in Bristol.

My bass in a Mono gig bag which also holds my MacBook Pro. I bought a brilliant padded container from Amazon, a little like one of those things Deliveroo cyclists use, but smaller. In there goes my combo and boxes containing my interface, and other bits and pieces. My pedalboard is in it's case. All covered by a large waterproof cover from Amazon.  

IMG_3023.jpg

• Like 1

After buying and storing all the PA plus all accessories, maintaining it, transporing it to and fro from gigs. Setting it up and looking after it while other members go for a wander until 15 mins before the gig. I wouldn't entertain a band member who would begrudge me a lift anywhere!

2 hours ago, ambient said:

I did dozens of gigs all over the UK and in Europe via Eurostar as a solo bassist last year.

You just need to plan exactly what you need to take on a gig, then sit and plan on how to take it. 

The photo below show my rig en-route to s show in Bristol.

My bass in a Mono gig bag which also holds my MacBook Pro. I bought a brilliant padded container from Amazon, a little like one of those things Deliveroo cyclists use, but smaller. In there goes my combo and boxes containing my interface, and other bits and pieces. My pedalboard is in it's case. All covered by a large waterproof cover from Amazon.  

IMG_3023.jpg

That's really useful. Thank you very much. What trolley are you using?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Twanger said:

I don't think it's an issue of selfishness. It's not selfish to choose to live in a village and it's not selfish to choose not to have a car. The reasons I don't have a car are that they're too expensive, too much hassle, nowhere to park, traffic jams, unnecessary for daily life, and I have never really liked driving - I am not confident behind a wheel and feel much safer and more aware of what's going on on two wheels. I also don't have a UK driving licence. I learned to drive while living abroad, and got my licence in a non EU country. My licence is not recognised here.

The selfishness does not come in those decisions. The selfishness lies in what you expect other people to do about those decisions. I will not be playing in a band where I will be exploiting motorised musicians, so the issue doesn't arise. 

just out of curiosity... can't licenses be exchanged pretty much automatically? (after paying a fee, I suspect, of course).

I love driving... but driving in town is not fun, I don't love that. I do it because the alternative either does not exist, or it involves a lot of time or hassle or both. For example, where I used to live before, it was barely 15 minutes by car to get to the rehearsal place. By bus? Around an hour. It involved changing buses too, which is a looot of fun in bad weather. Too many situations like that in my city... so I bought a car and never looked back. If I lived in London, I think I'd use the car a lot less and would be using public transport more.

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

just out of curiosity... can't licenses be exchanged pretty much automatically? (after paying a fee, I suspect, of course).

I lived in Turkey for over 20 years (Mrs Twanger is Turkish). UK Government does not consider the Turkish driving licence equivalent to UK one - and to be honest they're not wrong. So after 2 years back home it was invalid and I needed to do a test. Which I still haven't got around to. 

1 hour ago, Twanger said:

I lived in Turkey for over 20 years (Mrs Twanger is Turkish). UK Government does not consider the Turkish driving licence equivalent to UK one - and to be honest they're not wrong. So after 2 years back home it was invalid and I needed to do a test. Which I still haven't got around to. 

urgh... That's a shame. I hoped you wouldn't need to do a test again. I *think* I would pass a test now, but I would hate the process immensely. 

I gig in London via public transport… I've done it for about four years. I use a good gigbag, a lightweight amp (10lbs, I could get one lighter) which I keep in a plastic toolbox with all the cables, and a Barefaced Midget. I'm none too strong and though the cab's only 20lbs, it's an awkward one-hand carry. With a trolley I can cheerfully walk a mile or more fully loaded, and often have done.

Try one of those folding ones… about £25 and much easier to stash at the gig. MIne looks like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLDING-TROLLEY-WAREHOUSE-FOLDABLE-ALUMINIUM/dp/B00WIK10SQ . Get one with decent-sized wheels. The micro-wheel ones are no good for anything. Don't use bungees: get a pair of hefty, 25mm-wide woven tie-down straps with metal cam buckles and lash your cab down hard by weaving them through the footplate, over the cab and around the handles.  

I use buses a lot, and tactics come into play. The ideal spot for a trolley is in the pram/wheelchair zone, parked firmly against the forward bulkhead in case the bus brakes. If two prams get on, then the only place left to move it to is the exit doorway. That can get like human Tetris.  You learn to scan buses for prams before you get on, and for some reason certain services often seem to be less prammy than others!  I'll always set off in good time and will often let a crowded bus go by to try to pick up a nice empty one behind it. 

Being able to cross town for a few quid, play, have a couple of pints of ale without worry, and make it home all without causing extra trips for bandmates is a good feeling. 

How do drummers manage in London? Do the venues mostly have house kits, so they just need socks sticks & breakables? I play a lot in Oxfordshire & Wiltshire pubs, and some are surprised we need electricity! We have to take everything, including lengthy mains extensions, as the only available socket maybe some distance from where we are expected to set up and play.

Edited by FinnDave
dumb thums

10 hours ago, KK Jale said:

I gig in London via public transport… I've done it for about four years. I use a good gigbag, a lightweight amp (10lbs, I could get one lighter) which I keep in a plastic toolbox with all the cables, and a Barefaced Midget. I'm none too strong and though the cab's only 20lbs, it's an awkward one-hand carry. With a trolley I can cheerfully walk a mile or more fully loaded, and often have done.

Try one of those folding ones… about £25 and much easier to stash at the gig. MIne looks like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLDING-TROLLEY-WAREHOUSE-FOLDABLE-ALUMINIUM/dp/B00WIK10SQ . Get one with decent-sized wheels. The micro-wheel ones are no good for anything. Don't use bungees: get a pair of hefty, 25mm-wide woven tie-down straps with metal cam buckles and lash your cab down hard by weaving them through the footplate, over the cab and around the handles.  

I use buses a lot, and tactics come into play. The ideal spot for a trolley is in the pram/wheelchair zone, parked firmly against the forward bulkhead in case the bus brakes. If two prams get on, then the only place left to move it to is the exit doorway. That can get like human Tetris.  You learn to scan buses for prams before you get on, and for some reason certain services often seem to be less prammy than others!  I'll always set off in good time and will often let a crowded bus go by to try to pick up a nice empty one behind it. 

Being able to cross town for a few quid, play, have a couple of pints of ale without worry, and make it home all without causing extra trips for bandmates is a good feeling. 

I like your style.

If I still lived near that there London, I'm sure I'd be doing the same.  Twickenham was one mainline stop removed from the tube and my parents' flat had a spare room.  I stayed with them for a few months when I came home from Ireland and got my feet on the ground here again.  The nature of my day job then meant I was in and out of the home counties.  It would depend on the contracts I worked until I settled on a long term one in Derby and bought my first house.

I regret not using the public transport system to a greater extent but then I was a motorcyclist at the time.  I'd only use the bus or train if I was out for drinks with friends.

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

How do drummers manage in London? Do the venues mostly have house kits, so they just need socks & breakables?

A lot do. I've played venues that have kit and guitar amps, but no bass amp, which can be infuriating when you are dragging a heavy amp in whilst the drummer waltzes in with a cymbal bag and pedal.

I was unfortunate that the majority of the gigs I did were in London, but I live in Crawley, out in the sticks.  Venues would often want you to play beyond the last tubes (hence the reduced crowd for the last set) and trying to plan around night buses or one train an hour was a nightmare, so would have to take the car. I had a few sweet spots to park across town, but I'm not giving away my secrets! 

This all ended around June last year when I had to quit my band due to surgery, so it's all probably a lot different now (I think they've finally got tubes running overnight?)

Hopefully be back playing soon, so will have to relearn it all again!

On 19/01/2018 at 20:00, Sibob said:

Mono M80 gig bag, Markbass Nano Mark (will fit in the front pocket with your cables), Barefaced OneTen or Super Midget. Single trip rig with a spare hand, underground friendly.

+1 Yes, this. For a while I rocked a G-K MB200 (goes in bass gig bag pocket) and a Barefaced One10 (goes in cajon bag). Very easy. I have a car, but just wanted to experiment with the smallest, most portable, yet usable rig. :) This was before the advent of the Trace Elliot Elf, which as far as I know is the smallest usable amp head, currently.

Edited by discreet

I've managed being in bands for over 40 years now without owning a car. 

However I've spend most of my musical career living in a big city and playing in originals bands who, because they have had aspirations above being just a hobby, have had a dedicated band transport vehicle usually with a roadie/driver, so not owning a car has never been a problem for me.

Also originals bands tend to be a lot more flexible about non-driving band members provided that they have other useful skills, such as designing and printing all the band's promotional material, providing a place to rehearse, record and store equipment for free and writing the bulk of the band's music.

Conversely IME the members of most covers bands tend to be very insular outside of gigs and the occasional rehearsal, so someone who can't drive or doesn't own a vehicle big enough to take a portion of the PA and lighting rig, isn't really very suitable.