Why become a member? ×

Hi from Berkhamsted

lozkerr

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on here for a wee while, so I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I finally picked up the bass a couple of years ago after having tried and given up on several different instruments in the past. I just went into the shop for a look, honest, but this lovely black Ibanez wouldn't leave me alone. It just felt right, even though I felt like a complete numpty trying it, because I couldn't play for toffee. But I bought it and started learning from books. Two changes of address, a change of job and a spell in hospital put me back a wee bit, but I've stuck with it and I'm really enjoying it. Should have taken it up years ago, but there we are. I've finally started having lessons, and been pleased to find that I've managed pretty well through self-teaching, but inevitably there are some bad habits I'm having to work on breaking. But I'm hoping to be good enough to gig (easy stuff!) by the end of this year.

My kit's pretty bass-ic - Ibanez GSR200, Eden EC8 practice amp and a mechanical metronome. I find that easier to follow than a bleeping box. Oh, and a Boss ME-50B multi-effects pedal to satisfy my gadget girl tendencies.

Well, that's me. Hope to chat to a few of you soon.

Laura x

Thanks! I've been trying to avoid the For Sale section though, as I keep looking at Eden stacks and wondering where I could find space for one, even though I'd probably get evicted for practising my Metallica and Motorhead riffs in a flat :D I'm keeping the GAS at bay by promising myself a stack when I've got a gig lined up. So far, it seems to be working.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Thanks! I've been trying to avoid the For Sale section though, as I keep looking at Eden stacks and wondering where I could find space for one, even though I'd probably get evicted for practising my Metallica and Motorhead riffs in a flat :D I'm keeping the GAS at bay by promising myself a stack when I've got a gig lined up. So far, it seems to be working.

I've done something along those lines myself.  I wanted to move on to a five but until I was able to play through some tunes with no stalls and a minimum of errors I wouldn't look at them.  I promised myself one if I could string some of those tunes together on random play, as it were, with no hesitation.  Once achieved I relished the search for an affordable new bass.  The only other bass that I have bought brand new was a kit.

I had about 40 or so songs in my repertoire before I went on to a five.  That was a Steinberger paddle bass.  I was starting to find some of its limitations after a couple of years of happy ownership but then I bought a kit resembling one of the guitars that I was curious about.  I enjoyed building it.  It even sounded good.  It helped me make the decision to buy my latest one, an Ibanez as it happens.  The kit built instrument is now a test bed for modifications down the line.

• Like 1

Welcome from another Herts-person...

You do realise that you'll causing no end of confusion  with Lozz196 who's from Hemel? :D

Not sure if you're interested but we'll be travelling up to the London Bass Guitar Show from Hemel on the Saturday - you're welcome to join us.

19 hours ago, TheGreek said:

You do realise that you'll causing no end of confusion  with Lozz196 who's from Hemel? :D

Not sure if you're interested but we'll be travelling up to the London Bass Guitar Show from Hemel on the Saturday - you're welcome to join us.

Cause confusion? My work is done :D

I'm supposed to be seeing my kids that weekend, but I'm going to see if I can swap things around, as I'd love to tag along. It sounds like a lot of fun! 

20 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I've done something along those lines myself.  I wanted to move on to a five but until I was able to play through some tunes with no stalls and a minimum of errors I wouldn't look at them.

I mustard mitt that I've been tempted by a five a few times, but it seems a bit daft to get one before I've mastered the four. I think that once I'm ready for a new axe, I'll try a few fives and see how it feels. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 16:38, TheGreek said:

On 20/01/2018 at 12:00, lozkerr said:

Cause confusion? My work is done :D

I'm supposed to be seeing my kids that weekend, but I'm going to see if I can swap things around, as I'd love to tag along. It sounds like a lot of fun! 

Yep, welcome Loz, from Lozz :crigon_04:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1