Why become a member? ×

Sire Jazz Bass Problem

alembic1989

I have a Sire Marcus Miller jazz.

Recently, the blend control decided it didn't want to work anymore. There is no crackling with the pot, just silence when panned to the front pick up. Everything else works perfectly..I'm stumped. 

Its not as if I've been tinkering with it or anything..it just doesn't work anymore.

Any suggestions....??

or could someone recommend a tech who could fix it, preferably in my area..I live in Slough Berks.

Many thanks.

Have you looked at the wiring on the blend pot to see if anything has come adrift? Might be a bad solder joint that has just come away which is an easy fix. If the wiring looks good then the next thing to check is the front pickup to make sure it's working.

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, ikay said:

Agree it seems unlikely the pickup has packed in but it does happen. Are you getting any output from the front pickup when the blend is in the centre position (just tap the pole pieces)?

Nope.

Ive just removed the front pick up, and stuck a multi meter across the 2 wires. It appears it is open circuit.

How the hell did that happen ( shrugs his shoulders).?????. so I'm guessing I need a replacement front pick up..now comes the headache of finding one with the same dimensions.

52 minutes ago, ikay said:

Ugh, are the Sire pickup sizes non-standard in some way? May be worth emailing Sire customer service about a replacement - [email protected]. They promise to reply within one working day! At least then it would be a matched set.

The dimensions are slightly different to affordable replacements..nordstrand and bartolini are very close...but around £100!!

I have emailed Sire, so fingers crossed.

thanks.

Edited by alembic1989

If it's a 4 string and you need a neck pickup I have an old Kent Armstrong JVB-1F you can have for nowt if you need something to get it up and running, not the full blown KA but a "designed by" licensed jobbie. Sounds great although a bit scruffy.

92mm x 18mm, screw holes approx 38mm apart.

11 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

If it were me I i would email Sire. They have fantastic customer service. I asked when they would be selling their gig bags in the UK when they first came out and they ended up sending me two free of charge. 

Hi Dave,

I did email Sire, they told me to contact Thomann, who in turn told me that they have a suitable Di Marzio.....that would set me back 85 euros (inc postage)..... not the answer I was seeking.

I was willing to pay but would have preferred a Sire pick up, that sound nice, and I suspect would be considerably cheaper.

🤔🤔

it seems it isn't possible to get a replacement from Sire.....not the service I was expecting.

That sounds like a standard initial stock answer from any manufacturer - send you to the "local" distributor to get it sorted.

I presume Sire would then expect Thomann to offer you a replacement Sire part through the correct procedures/channels.

Might be worth sending Sire the response you got from Thomann and say you're not happy with it - they should surely then get involved, if they have anything about them?

Give somebody like House of Tone a call... they may be willing to take the broken pickup and repair/rewind it for you. Certainly should be a lot cheaper than replacing it... and if it is rewound, it will likely sound better than most of the off the shelf stuff anyway.

http://www.houseoftonepickups.com/

3 hours ago, alembic1989 said:

Hi Dave,

I did email Sire, they told me to contact Thomann, who in turn told me that they have a suitable Di Marzio.....that would set me back 85 euros (inc postage)..... not the answer I was seeking.

I was willing to pay but would have preferred a Sire pick up, that sound nice, and I suspect would be considerably cheaper.

🤔🤔

it seems it isn't possible to get a replacement from Sire.....not the service I was expecting.

No, not the service i have had or seen through others. I guess they may be getting large enough to not need to bend over backwards for customers now. When i dealt with them it was direct with Mickey Cho on this email [email protected]

2 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

That sounds like a standard initial stock answer from any manufacturer - send you to the "local" distributor to get it sorted.

I presume Sire would then expect Thomann to offer you a replacement Sire part through the correct procedures/channels.

Might be worth sending Sire the response you got from Thomann and say you're not happy with it - they should surely then get involved, if they have anything about them?

I think it is down to Thomanns to sort this out, if that's where the bass came from, but in the past Sire have been amazing so yeah, worth continuing down that avenue.

I got another email from Sire this morning, after I emailed them telling them what Thomann said. They said " they would be willing to assist me" getting the replacement, that they'd send it to me via Thomann, and would I please forward the Thomann email to them.

Ive done all this..now just waiting to see what happens...I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to be charged..so I did ask.

Im expecting a response from Sire or Thomann soon..will let you all know what happens.

Well, Sire emailed me today, and told me that they were very sorry about my problem, and that they would supply me a pick up SET for $59 , but I'd have to pay for the shipping ( there would also be a customs charge). The price is of course very reasonable,

however I only wanted the neck pick up, and they won't supply it by itself....also I'm probably looking at around £80-90 in the end.

I have a buyer for my bass, and was gutted when I found out the pick up wasn't working, so having to spend another load of money on it..all of a sudden I'm taking a big hit.

I managed to find the fault on the pick up this morning, and fixed it myself, it now works perfectly, so I won't be taking them up on their offer.

So there you have it....the stories of being sent free replacement parts from Sire was certainly not true in my case, but they were trying to be helpful...and if I actually needed a set..the price was very reasonable..as they're actually very nice pick ups.

CHAPTER.

Edited by alembic1989