Why become a member? ×

Power Brick

tobiewharton

I'm in the process of expanding my pedal board.  Was previously running off a 1 Spot, but considering a brick now for 8+ pedals.  I have a DHA VT1 incoming and happy to use the dedicated supply for that.  To the best of my (almost non-existent) knowledge, everything else currently in the stable (tuner, comp, octaver, filter, fuzz, chorus, preamp) shouldn't be troublesome without isolation, but I may add reverb and tremolo in the near future, which I understand may be.  Is isolation essential for reverb/trem/delay? 

Now I don't find the prospect of an all-singing-all-dancing power supply particularly exciting and would begrudge an outlay of any more than £120 at the absolute most.  The Palmer MI PWT 08 seems like a fairly sensibly priced contender, though it seems to come with a European power pack and I don't want to faff about with adapters.  I am no technician and generally find these things boring at best and incredibly frustrating at worst.  I just want something reasonable that will do the job and last.  Pie in the sky?! 

As always, any insight and advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tobie

Loads of options these days. On my various boards I've got the True Tone C6 (thinline - gets under a Nanoboard), a Voodoo Labs PP2, and on the massive board a Gigrig Power Generator modular set up.

Power supplies are never exciting, but don't begrudge them. Nice quiet stable power is great. And considering the cost of 9V batteries they pay for themselves pretty quick.

A lot of the cheaper / smaller isolated ones don't have 8 outputs though. But you can still daisy chain a couple of outputs for pedals that won't be a problem leaving the difficult ones on their own output.

Also be aware that some of the posh reverb and trem pedals have high current draws that some power units can't supply. So if you are aiming for an Eventide or Strymon then you'll need to check the current draw specs.

• Thanks 1

A bunch of us tried the Fame or Vitoos DC8 a while back. I have had no issues with it after a few gigs and practices, nor have I heard any complaints. Very well specced, and the housing itself is rather small (indeed, the cables coming out seem to take up as much room!). Mine was £50 posted for the Vitoos version.

• Thanks 1

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:56, ben4343 said:

A bunch of us tried the Fame or Vitoos DC8 a while back. I have had no issues with it after a few gigs and practices, nor have I heard any complaints. Very well specced, and the housing itself is rather small (indeed, the cables coming out seem to take up as much room!). Mine was £50 posted for the Vitoos version.

Thanks for this.  It looks absolutely perfect for what I need - can even run the VT1 off it.  Have ordered a Vitoos - £42 including postage!

Cheers,

Tobie