Why become a member? ×

SOLD. Extremely rare 1990 USA Fender Jazz Plus bass.
£995

vinorange

Price £750. Open to offers or trades. Feedback is that this is extremely rare - most people have never seen this model before and definitely never seen one up for sale.

Back up for grabs as a trade fell through is my extremely rare 1990 / 91 USA Jazz bass plus finished in reverse metallic blue burst with rosewood fretboard, Lace sensor pickups and I think it's an early Kubicki preamp.

This a really unusual bass and was Fender's early deluxe active electronics bass. At the time it was apparently one notch down from a custom shop.

The body is a reverse blue burst metallic and, with the exception of a minor ding on the lower side, is in really good condition for 27 years. The electronics are volume / pan stacked pot in 1, treble & bass controls stacked pot in 2 and a 4 way rotary selector for passive (position 1), active with mid boost (pos 2), active normal (pos 3) and a kill control in position 4. The mid boost is adjustable on the preamp via a trim pot.

It has a high mass bridge and light gotoh deluxe tuners. The neck has some surface lacquer cracks which you can't feel whilst playing, as has the headstock. It could be sanded back and re-lacquered I guess but I wouldn't dare.............it's got a good vintage colouring. It has a good wide variety of jazz tones and has a good raspy thump to it. The chrome hardware is in good condition. The knobs are new.

It's just been set up with Ernie ball slinky's and had a going over by Ged Green (top luthier) in Cheadle. It had hardly any fret wear but did have a stiff truss rod due to a bit of corrosion. the micro tilt is also corroded and doesn't micro tilt any more. The truss is stiff but does turn and the neck plays superbly well with low action.

It wouldn't be for sale but I just got a USA deluxe FMT - a bass I've wanted for years - so something has to give.

The case is original and is knackered. It has a chunk missing from the ABS and is badly worn. It has ridges in it which look like they may be from it being in a loft...maybe.. So although it is original it is also rather horrid......

I'll post it anywhere but it will need to be insured so will be £45 or so for UK and £60 elsewhere. I can meet up within a reasonable distance of Chester or it can be tried out in Kelsall, Cheshire.

Edited by vinorange
Sold

Lovely bass, Great colour.

Yes it is the early 9v Kubicki preamp, I've  got the same bass in a natural Ash body with rosewood neck. Very versatile bass, wide range of tones and with the advantage of an active/passive switch if the battery ever dies on you.

GLWTS

I bought it from evil bay.

The balance / volume pot had been pulled apart. I expected it to need replacing but - believe it or not - I put the pot back together, popped in a new battery and it worked perfectly! It looks like someone thought it was a push / pull pot and tried too hard. Really hard.....

The body was filthy as was the fret board. The neck had a forward bow so it went in to Ged Green - top luthier in Manchester - and had a full set up. The truss was adjusted, frets levelled and polished and fret board lemon oiled. The body was polished with cut and polish and came up remarkably well. 

It was a keeper, as it turned out so well, until a USA Jazz deluxe FMT turned up (in tobacco burst with gold hardware, bound neck / block inlays and flame maple top). I’d been looking for one for ages and it just popped up on Facebook so it had to be done meaning the jazz plus and my MM sterling have to go.

Edited by vinorange

• 3 weeks later...