Why become a member? ×

new bass on the way day (almost)

Highfox

9 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

Mr Highfox!,

Do you know if the nut width / neck dimensions are fixed on all Wal Basses?  Or do you select when you order?

Cheers!

Hi Lewis.

As far as I am aware it's normally a fixed dimension.

As an extra customization, it might be possible to get those altered, you'd have to inquire I think.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Hi Lewis.

As far as I am aware it's normally a fixed dimension.

As an extra customization, it might be possible to get those altered, you'd have to inquire I think.

Great, thanks, and do you know what the nut dimension is?  Is it 42mm?

On 20/01/2018 at 12:02, drTStingray said:

Fabulous bass - congratulations. You guys are doing nothing for my Wal GAS. Love the paduak facing.

i was talking to a friend who has one on order last night - he buys a lot of basses having just received a Jaydee Supernatural after a couple of years on order, we were talking about CITIES certificates and whether manufacturers provide them these days? He's had an issue with selling/buying some basses from abroad. He seems to be on a quest to buy one of everything!! 

Do you know if Wal provide them for a new bass or would it be an add on cost - none of us would ever plan to sell a bass like this but I guess with a Wal it does open further possibilities if the unthinkable does happen. 

Just paid the deposit for a Mk II five string this week.  Paul confirmed that they will provide a CITIES cert if you have any rosewood and are having the bass sent overseas (or if you ask for one I guess), but at a cost of £120.  I've avoided this by having an ebony fretboard...which wasn't done to avoid future CITIES difficulties and it's costing me an extra £195...perhaps if I tell myself that I'm saving £120 so it's only costing me an extra £75...

On 1/18/2018 at 12:34, TheGreek said:

Not a fan of the neck profile on Wals but....

Well tough stinky poo, more of them for those of us that don't really care about neck profile :-) ;-). 

seriously, tho, you get used to it pretty quick. After all, it didn't hold back Percy Jones or Mick Kahn too badly.

As ever, each to his own

7 hours ago, discreet said:

I suspect I'd find a Wal a bit too heavy for me, but if I had one I'd damn well play it, even if it crippled me!

I asked Paul to try save weight on mine, I haven't weighed it yet but it's definitely no boat anchor :)

He did say there was a limit on the MK1's before the balance and sound are effected, but said he would use the lightest core mahogany  to help a bit. I'd take a guess it's now around the 4kg mark.

55 minutes ago, Highfox said:

I'd take a guess it's now around the 4kg mark.

That's acceptable and just about on the limit for me. Trouble is my 7.5lb Jazz is spoiling me a bit... but I'm sure the advantages would be worth it and a well-balanced bass goes a long way to offsetting mass.

2 hours ago, Highfox said:

I asked Paul to try save weight on mine, I haven't weighed it yet but it's definitely no boat anchor :)

He did say there was a limit on the MK1's before the balance and sound are effected, but said he would use the lightest core mahogany  to help a bit. I'd take a guess it's now around the 4kg mark.

I once had a chat with Pete Stevens about it, with him very worked up because he'd just had a magazine review that criticised the weight of the basses.  In his opinion "it sounds like it sounds because it's got a mahogany core and mahogany is not light,  If you want a Wal, that's what it weighs, if you want a lighter bass then there are plenty of others they can buy, but they won't sound like mine"

That said, I've got a couple of Les Paul standards and one is massively heavier than the other, not because of any chambering in the lighter one but because of the much higher density of the mahogany that's been used in the heavy one.  

Personally I quite like a heavier bass

58 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I once had a chat with Pete Stevens about it, with him very worked up because he'd just had a magazine review that criticised the weight of the basses.  In his opinion "it sounds like it sounds because it's got a mahogany core and mahogany is not light,  If you want a Wal, that's what it weighs, if you want a lighter bass then there are plenty of others they can buy, but they won't sound like mine"

That said, I've got a couple of Les Paul standards and one is massively heavier than the other, not because of any chambering in the lighter one but because of the much higher density of the mahogany that's been used in the heavy one.  

Personally I quite like a heavier bass

Me too.  It's interesting isn't it.  The weight of my Wal was never a consideration for me.  I knew it would be and that was that.  I do get a sore and stiff back in a while, but the bass does balance very nicely and on a wide strap it's not an issue.  Interestingly enough I used to own a couple of Bongo 4HH basses, one was the Stealth and the other a "standard". The standard was noticeably heavier and although the Sealth played and  sounded great, the standard had something extra...more punch, depth...just more "heft"... Was that because it was heavier?  Does heft begat heft? Off topic I know.  

Back on topic I love the neck profile on my  Wals, I've got smallish hands and they very comfortable for me.