Why become a member? ×

New bass day!

Quatschmacher

I’m probably going to try the new Sonuus G2M V3 and see if it’s any better than the previous versions (until I can afford an Industrial Radio MIDI bass). This version has an audio through port so I’m going to try routing the bass’s audio signal through the Minitaur too and use the G2M to trigger the envelopes. That way, in theory, I should be able to use the Minitaur on my bass’s audio signal with a fixed envelope pattern or as an envelope-controlled filter (by dialling in the sensitivity to MIDI velocity). Oh, and of course, use my bass to trigger the oscillators. Or a mixture of both.

Just thinking if there’s a way to use my LS-2 so that I can choose whether my bass’s audio goes either through the filter or is blended (cleanly) with the synth oscillators. 

6 hours ago, Bo0tsy said:

Very cool, let us know how you get on with the Minitaur. I love my Moog LPF and have just ordered an expression pedal for it, but the Minitaur should take you to a whole other level in synthy Moog goodness!

It’s pretty cool. I’ve just ordered the Sonuus G2M V3 so will try it with my bass hopefully tomorrow.

I had loads of fun last night figuring stuff out. Took a while to get my head around one of the more in-depth modulation sources. It’s a really good way to get acquainted with synthesis. What I’m finding especially instructive is being able to shape the envelopes precisely; that’s always a bit fiddly when using envelope-controlled filters on bass guitar.  

The only downside for me is that some features are currently only accessible via the editor software, though I have an idea of how to squeeze a few more into the shift mode and so will suggest them to Moog. It’s made me realise that I need to learn more about MIDI. If anyone has any pointers on how I can send specific MIDI CCs from my keyboard (with specified values between 0 and 127) then I’m all ears.

I should probably get some kind of MIDI foot controller so I can jump to presets I’ve  created.

@Bo0tsy, look into getting the CP251 too so you can manipulate the envelope out signal on the MF-101 and then feed it back into the cutoff jack. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boohoo, I had to take the Minitaur back today as the pitch CV input wasn’t working properly. I’d installed the latest firmware (2.2.1) and plugging an expression pedal into the pitch CV input resulted in it spitting out the highest C the unit produces but nothing in between.

The assistant and I spent ages messing about with various settings. We installed a previous version of the firmware and ran the calibration routine and got it working. So we installed the latest firmware and ran the routine again only it didn’t work. So we rolled back to the previous firmware again and ran the routine; this also now didn’t work.

I ended up getting a refund and planned to come back when they get another in. Later on in the day as they were closing I asked when they’d likely get another in. He looked on the system and found that they’d actually got another in stock! So we tried that one and it had the same problem! I’ve asked him to contact Moog to report it as I think it’ll carry more weight coming from them and their distributor.

So, back to square one.

@tonyxtiger, does your pitch CV input work OK? @andybassdoyle, did yours?

23 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

On another note, I sent the Sonuus back as it just wasn’t cutting it. Probably ok on guitar or for slow pad sounds but for syncopated basslines it was sadly unusable.

It's true that I'm not a 'speed freak', on bass nor anything else, but my Sonuus copes with anything I ask of it. One of the benefits of being old and doddery, maybe..? (That's me, by the way, not the Sonuus..! :$ )

42 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's true that I'm not a 'speed freak', on bass nor anything else, but my Sonuus copes with anything I ask of it. One of the benefits of being old and doddery, maybe..? (That's me, by the way, not the Sonuus..! :$ )

Yes, it was ok for slower tempo stuff and/or longer note lengths but it struggled with sixteenth notes. What bass are you using? I tried it with my jazz basses and it was better on the neck pickup. It sucked on my Sterling. Sadly my P Bass is with the luthier at present so I didn’t get to try that and I suspect that might have been the best option.  

53 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

...What bass are you using?...

A bit atypical, I'm afraid; it's a Hofner Verithin bass (glimpsed in my avatar pic...). Bass or treble p/up both work fine. I use the Sonuus for adding string bass, bass clarinet or French horns; stuff like that, in an orchestral vein. Not very 'rock', really, but I have no tracking issues. Works for guitar too, of course.

Edited by Dad3353

9 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

So, back to square one.

@tonyxtiger, does your pitch CV input work OK? @andybassdoyle, did yours?

That’s a bummer. I’ve not tried it on mine yet as I’ve just been running a BeatStep through it. I’ll let you know what I find. 

I did find in a search that others have had the same problem. Most day the moog tech support is very good. 

2 hours ago, tonyxtiger said:

That’s a bummer. I’ve not tried it on mine yet as I’ve just been running a BeatStep through it. I’ll let you know what I find. 

I did find in a search that others have had the same problem. Most day the moog tech support is very good. 

I sent them a message but they’re probably very busy at NAMM. I did read in the forum that a couple of people have had this issue. One guy ended up just getting a new unit, which solved the problem. Both the ones I tried have the same problem so I’ll wait for word back from Moog as to whether it’s a hardware or a firmware problem before deciding to repurchase it. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

3 hours ago, tonyxtiger said:

But by hooking you in with a great sounding Minotaur you then want more possibilities so then it’s off to get a mother 32, then a DAFM, then.....

Indeed. I’m now looking at the Phatty range for the extended pitch range, waveforms and modulation capabilities.

Btw, if you’d like me to share the sysex files of the ten or so Minitaur patches I created then let me know and I can upload them.