Why become a member? ×

Running 2 cabs out of here

pburrows

Dudes, how would I run 2 8ohm cabs off my Trace 350SMX head? Do I need to daisy chain the cabs or have 2 outputs from the amp direct to cab? I'd like to get it running at 4ohm. Attached a pic showing the output. I normally use 1 cab from Jack > Speakon, but there is only one Jack connection as shown in the pic.

trace-elliot-gp-12-smx-39599.jpg

I'd assume that the XLR is wired in parallel with the jack. So you could take one lead from the jack to one speaker and another lead from the XLR to the other speaker. You might also consider replacing the XLR with a Speakon socket. The Speakkon fits the same size hole.  It's easy if the XLR is hard wired inside the amp but more difficult if it's mounted on a PCB. That's probably more information than you wanted.....

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

You can run 1 or 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm cab. I'd run the 1st cab from the jack plug socket and daisy chain the 2nd cab from the 1st cab.

Does daisy chaining the 2nd to 1st cab mean they both run @ 4ohm or the amp still pushes 8ohm through the chain which isn’t as efficient in terms of power?

14 minutes ago, pburrows said:

Barefaced super compact with 2 speakon connectors. I’m getting another BF cab so will have 2 8 ohm cabs

Bloody expensive way of putting two cabs in parallel.

Oh - I see. If you already have a BF and it has two speaker sockets in parallel, just plug the next can into that to get your 4 Ohms.

Edited by EBS_freak

On 17/01/2018 at 19:57, pburrows said:

Does daisy chaining the 2nd to 1st cab mean they both run @ 4ohm or the amp still pushes 8ohm through the chain which isn’t as efficient in terms of power?

Two 8 ohm cabs in parallel presents a 4 Ohm load to the amp. Ohms aren't pushed anywhere, Watts are (if you want to use that "push" terminology). If you want to maximise the amount of Watts that you safely put out of the amp, then you present the load that the amp is designed to work with, in this case 4 Ohms.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

If I test a speaker using a continuity tester I get a result of "resistance measured in ohms". 

It's a continuity test performed with DC voltage from a test instrument. Continuity is measured as resistance not impedance.

Testing the terminals of a cab is not Testing impedance, that requires much more technical kit. 

So you either know the impedance as its given on the cab, or you have a lab to check or you know the 'resistance' measured in ohms, "the ohmage".

You can then take "a guess at the impedance based on the resistance".

Edited by stingrayPete1977

12 hours ago, dood said:

Exactly. ‘Ohmage’ suggests DC by the Collins definition.

Correct dc provided by the batteries in the continuity tester,  it does not give a reading of impedance. If the sticker on the back of a cab is missing or you have a selection of cabs you want to use like the OP you can take a continuity test across the proposed load to find the resistance, you'll need a lab to find it's impedance.