Why become a member? ×

Back to BASSics - the 5 string search

modular

Hey everyone!

I’m thinking about playing the bass again. Last time I’ve picked up a bass guitar was 10 years ago or so. I’ve played during high-school and most of my college years, but after graduation, first jobs, first kid... my bass guitar days were over.

Over the last few years I haven’t heard anyone in the bass world that would really lift my spirits, until I’ve heard Thundercat (Stephen Bruner). Holy canoly, man! This guy - with my freakin’ age! - is the coolest bassist I’ve heard in a long, long time. Even his work as a sideman with Kendrick Lamar or Kamasi Washington is fantastic. So, here I am. Again.

I don’t want to go into the GAS bandwagon all over again. I’ve had my fair share of bass guitars during my “heyday”, from Fender Jazz Basses (a MIM and an original 1976 USA), to a couple of Warwick Streamer Stage 1s and a couple of MusicMan Stingrays. Right now I don’t have any bass guitars or amps. I will need to buy everything from zero. Thing is, I want something different and unfortunately all music stores in my town are absolute crap. I will need some feedback regarding some stuff.

I used to play 4 string basses but now I’m thinking about a 5 string. I’m not sure what type of music I want to play since all my chops are gone, yet I know I want a bass with a clean sound. I won’t be playing metal or heavy stuff for sure. But I’d say a bit of jazz to alternative to r&b. I also want a comfortable neck: the experience I had with a 5-string Warwick Streamer Stage 1 is that is was quite uncomfortable; also, my last bass - a Fender ’51 Precision Bass (reissue) - was the most uncomfortable neck ever. It just killed my hands and took away the joy I had to play the bass.

I have absolutely zero knowledge about the following basses, so any feedback would be great. Oh, it is completely impossible for me to try any of them - terrible shops here. I will likely buy them through Thomann. What do you think of these 5-stringers? How would you compare them? Which would offer a better clean sound but at the same time most sonic possibilites?

- Lakland 55-02
- Lakland 55-01
- Sandberg Classic
- Sandberg Panther
- Yamaha TRB1005
- Ibanez SR (one of the higher end models?)
- Ibanez Bass Workshop Series!?
- Warwick Corvette (ash)

I know there are a few brands like Sandberg or Sadowsky that create “better than original” Jazz and Precision basses, but I must say I’m not a big fan of that. I’d just prefer to go the Fender route.

Besides those basses the Fender Precision Bass (USA) is still - and always - an option. Also, whats the deal with Warwick these days? The German ones are crazy expensive (almost reaching Fodera prices!) and now they got GPS and RB!? Their lineup is quite weird…

Any other alternatives will be great! Unfortunately, I cannot buy a Fodera Monarch or Emperor, haha! I really dig basses with crazy wood textures on the surface.

_

Regarding amps, this will only be played in my home studio. So, no gigging ideas for now and I’ll just probably use some kind of hardware DAW to create all my music (thinking about the MPC Live). In here I prefer smaller combos, but I’m afraid to over simplify. So what about these two options:

Option 1
- Markbass Micromark

Option 2
- Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 + SL112 cabinet (or something even smaller!)

Sorry for the long, long text and some confusion.

Thank you for your help!

See you!

Edited by modular
  • Like 1

I have a Lakland 55-01 and it’s excellent for the money, definitely punches above it’s price-point. The 55-02 will be much the same but with different pickup config and some other (costed) finish options available.

Amp wise, i’ve also had a Micromark and they’re very good! It can handle a B, but nothing more than quiet rehearsals really.....maybe a gig with an acoustic guitarist. If you have the budget, i’d personally look at the Aguilar rig you mentioned, or the middle ground (for price, size, power) between your two options would be something like:

Markbass Nano Mark 300

Markbass New York 121

Si

What's your budget @modular? I'm sure you're well aware from your Warwick experiences that the basses you mentioned will be superb for somebody, just not necessarily for you! Personally I don't think you can go wrong with ANY Lakland if you're sticking to that list...

My recommendation would be to try as many out in person as you can... and keep an eye out for a used ACG...

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

What's your budget @modular? I'm sure you're well aware from your Warwick experiences that the basses you mentioned will be superb for somebody, just not necessarily for you! Personally I don't think you can go wrong with ANY Lakland if you're sticking to that list...

My recommendation would be to try as many out in person as you can... and keep an eye out for a used ACG...

Hey there! I'd say max budget for the bass to be around 2000-2200 euros. Unfortunately there isn't any music store around with nice instruments... not even Fenders! Auch!

Yeah, I really dig the Warwick Streamer Stage 1 sound, yet I had two big issues: the neck was extremely uncomfortable and the string tension was too high. I really prefer my basses to have a "loser string".

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

Another option to consider would be to look at Maruszczyk basses - a bewildering assortment off the peg or dip into the configurator and you can get whatever you want.  They are surprisingly affordable.

https://public-peace.de/maruszczyk-instruments/mi-bass

+1 to this. If you didn't want a non Fender P or J, try the Frog configurator.

https://public-peace.de/configurator/frog/frog-type

(The only thing not quite right about Maruszczyk basses are the slightly rubbish model names! 😆)

5 hours ago, modular said:

Hey there! I'd say max budget for the bass to be around 2000-2200 euros. Unfortunately there isn't any music store around with nice instruments... not even Fenders! Auch!

Yeah, I really dig the Warwick Streamer Stage 1 sound, yet I had two big issues: the neck was extremely uncomfortable and the string tension was too high. I really prefer my basses to have a "loser string".

You have a LOT of options! Although if you haven't any shops near you with decent basses, then you might need to have a browse of somewhere like Bass Direct (UK) or Bass Matters (Netherlands), do some research online, then order from them.

Or get a 55-01, and if you really like bass again, get a US Lakland used at a later date :)

Si

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You need a Stingray5 on that list :D

Yes you are correct - a 5 string list without a Stingray 5 (the original mass produced 5) or a Warwick 5 of some sort is incomplete. 

The SR5 single H version, especially 1992-2008 with ceramic pick up remains an extremely versatile and capable performer with a superb B string. 

Dont listen to all of us - go and play some and see what you like best. 

On 17/01/2018 at 21:30, stingrayPete1977 said:

You need a Stingray5 on that list :D

I have to agree with this and have had many of the others you mention as i'm a bit of a gear slut!

I prefer a 34" scale to play live, which rules out some

Sandbergs always seem great to play, high end ibanez's are great also. I have to say that the Stingrays, (include Sterling Ray35's) and Ibanez's are my favourites to play live. SR Note: Ibanez have a tight string spacing

Edited by Pinball

As @bubinga5 says, Lakland all the way.  I have a 55-02 and a DJ5 with a J-retro preamp, and without spending considerably more have the best B string of anything by far, and huge tonal options.

I'm also with @Sibob on the Nanomark 300/NY121, but for a small combo, Markbass Micromark 801 or Minimark 802, and if you can wait a month or two, there is a spanky new Marcus Miller CMD 101 Micro 60 on its way, which has similar output but more tone options.  All have DI out, so ideal as a preamp if you do end up gigging.  I'm definitely having one of these!

5a61d68712e0b_ScreenShot2018-01-19at11_28_18.thumb.png.167d61bb06985af7338c32203009babf.png

Hello everyone! Thank you all for the replies... lots of Lakland love here. They are definitely on my top list, even though - and I must say this - aesthetically they don't please me. I was looking for something a bit more "woody looking", but yeah... Foderas are out of the question, ahah.

Anyway, there is no Yamaha TRB love here, or these days they are not as good as the older versions?

Also, how would you compare top-of-the-line Ibanez basses to Laklands and Fenders? I mean, basses like the SR5005, SR30TH5P, SR1805, SR1305 or their Bass Workshop range looks pretty wicked. I must admit that I've never even looked at Ibanez before, but if they are good enough for Thundercat they are good enough for 99% of us, right!?