Why become a member? ×

Amp and Speakers

Stuart Ronson

I have just acquired a Trace Elliot AH300 head with 1 x15 cab, 4 x 10 cab, 2x12 cab and a horn cab and yes I do realise that it may be a bit over the top but that's how I like it!!  My question is this and relates to OHMS so I have no idea whatsoever! The head is 8 ohms, as are all the cabs.  Is it ok to connect them all or would this damage the amp? 

Er, wouldn't 4 x 8 ohms in parallel knock the overall impedance down to 2 ohms?

8 ohms+8 ohms in series would be 16 ohms, so  (2 x 8 ohm cabs in series =16 ohms) in parallel with (2 x 8 ohm cabs in series =16 ohms ) gives you 8 ohms.

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'd be surprised if the head could only do 8 ohms.

I think that amp will do the normal thing and go down to 4 ohms or 2 8 ohm cabs.

+1 ................. although be careful of dropping below 4 ohms

3 hours ago, Agwin said:

Er, wouldn't 4 x 8 ohms in parallel knock the overall impedance down to 2 ohms?

8 ohms+8 ohms in series would be 16 ohms, so  (2 x 8 ohm cabs in series =16 ohms) in parallel with (2 x 8 ohm cabs in series =16 ohms ) gives you 8 ohms.

Yes, you're correct.  Forgot my physics for a moment

The horn cab probably has a crossover in it so won't matter as far as calculating impedance is concerned (unless you buy a second horn)

If the other three cabs are all 8 ohms then you probably shouldn't use them all in parallel as this will present a 2.6 ohm load to the amp. combine any two of the three and you should be fine. Turned right down you can get away with a lot but at gig volumes you will be demanding too much current from your amp if you just keep adding cabs.