Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea jazz basses. Weights.

fretmeister

What are the chances of me finding a Flea sig jazz with a weight under 8.5 lb?

Very good. Mine clocks in around that weight. (Same as my Matt Freeman P-bass which is good.) One of the reasons I love the Flea Jazz and the Road Worn series is their lighter weight. Don't want to go any heavier. Now if I wanted a Music Man...are they all really heavy?

Edited by Mister RLP

43 minutes ago, Mister RLP said:

Most seem to be between 9 -10 lbs ish. But there are some that buck this trend! The new Subs I have picked up seem to be fairly light. 

The Classic EBMM ones are about 9.5 lbs but can vary either way a bit. Of course, they have slab bodies so the standard ones, with contours, should be a bit lighter. However they all balance superbly on a strap and that is perhaps more important. SR5s tend to be a bit heavier - around 10 lbs though there are exceptions.

I have a US Sub 5 which is about 8 lbs - great on a strap but neck dives without as the body is so light!! 

I have found the heavier ones tend to have more thunderous tone and resonance - my main bass is an SR5 in natural ash - about 10.5 lbs - the body resonates so much you can feel it whilst playing - fabulous deep tone though. That's not to say the lighter one are lacking tone though. 

If you go for an SR4 of some type you should find one in the low 9 lb area - even the two pick up ones seem to be. 

Edited by drTStingray