Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Relay G30

Jimryan

Mornin all,

Recently I've been toying with the idea of going wireless and quite like the look of this system, especially mounting the receiver on my board.  

Does anyone have any experience with these?  Tried them? Own them? Love them? Hate them? What are they like?

Cheers,

James 

I use one of these regularly. I've never had an issue with the battery door, however . . . . for a while, i kept getting dropouts. In order to overcome this i did the following:

1. I stopped leaving the receiver on top of my amp and placed it on the floor. Apparently, they don't like metal underneath them as it affects reception

2. When setting it up, i choose the channel that has the least interference, indicated by the reception lights on the receiver.

3. The transmitter has two modes - RF-1 and RF-2. The newer ones ship with RF-2 programmed, This is designed to minimise interference with wifi devices. I've changed mine back to RF-1. Do an online search to find out how as i can't remember and it's not obvious.

It now works faultlessly. I use rechargeable batteries in it and charge before each gig.

I had a G30 for a while - I had a few months of trouble free gigging, then it started to drop out - only momentarily, but I couldn't stop it. I tried all the fixes I could find, but I couldn't stop it glitching. I sent it back to Thomann and they tested it, pronounced it perfect and sent it back. It started glitching shortly after. Apparently, this is not a unique occurrence. I bought a Smooth Hound wireless system shortly after and I'm absolutely delighted with it - brilliant customer service and perfect performance.

http://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/

On 1/17/2018 at 07:51, Jimryan said:

Mornin all,

Recently I've been toying with the idea of going wireless and quite like the look of this system, especially mounting the receiver on my board.  

Does anyone have any experience with these?  Tried them? Own them? Love them? Hate them? What are they like?

Cheers,

James 

Been using one for years. I love it. Two things, 'though:

1) the belt clip.

the belt clip is a metal clip held onto the transmitter by a flimsy plastic tab. It doesn't look durable to me. From the moment I saw it, I decided to buy a separate leather pouch to attach it to my strap, and I've used the transmitter either using the pouch, or having the receiver in my pocket (yes :D) That works.

2) the battery door... I think what people complain about is actually by design. To close it properly, you need to press hard the latch. It's hard. So if you're not paying attention it's relatively easy to not latch it properly, and then it can work itself open which is not something you want in the middle of a song. The solution is easy: pay attention when mounting the batteries and make sure it latches. I think it's by design, because you want a battery door that stays shut no matter what. That's my take on it based on a sample of n=2... so there may well be really an issue with some units, but what I saw was that: you need to press that door down and ensure you latch it properly. Once that is clicked in place, it doesn't come off by itself.

Range, delay etc... not an issue to me. Range is probably better than the blurb says... not that I need that range, but we have sometimes wandered into the crowd and I had one guitarist climbing onto the roof at a beer garden gig and play his solo there... hair in the wind hero style :D

I’ve had one for years and been very happy with it. True, the battery door is hard to latch, but  I’ve always managed it. I saw somewhere that somebody put a cable tie around the transmitter and slid it on and off to open and close the door, but I’ve never felt the need for that. It seems easier now I’ve had it a while. I made my own leather pocket for mine so have never really used the clip. I bought a longer, better quality cable for mine off Ebay. It doesn’t like cheap batteries, but Duracells from the pound shop have significantly greater longevity. All this being said, everyone seems very happy with their Smoothhounds, and I would probably replace mine with one of those if mine died.

I run four of them, 2 on my big rig board and 2 on my doubling board (I mount the receivers underneath, connected to power Voodoo labs psu and run them to an ABY switch)

Never had any dropouts or anything. Once of them has a dicky battery door so I just use a rubber band to hold it in place.

They all are in the Neotech strap pouches designed for them and the one with the dodgy battery latch and rubber band go on my upright's tailpiece so no worries about it moving about or anything - so the metal belt clips aren't a concern for me (they are flimsy).

I run mine with Eneloop rechargeable batteries (the black ones) and never had a moments grief. I have run them continuously to test capacity and have got just over 7.5 hrs from the black ones and 5.5 from the white ones.

• Like 1

I use the Line6 XD-V35 for bass, and so far I'm very happy with it. It's very similar to the G30, but designed for use with a microphone (mine is the model with the same beltback as the G30, but with a clip-on mic supplied). The receiver is almost identical, with the addition of an XLR out (that I never use, though). I found it cheap, otherwise I would have gone for a G30 too. Works equally well.

On 21/01/2018 at 09:31, mcnach said:

1) the belt clip

2) the battery door

I've had a G30 for a few years...it works fine but the above elements are a bit hokey.  The belt clip is frankly awful and I live in fear the battery door will just spring open (but it never has).

About ten days ago I bought a Levys MM4 pouch.  Have a quick look on You Tube and you'll find videos.  I favour Levys long polypropylene straps...the narrow ones; the pouch wraps around the strap beautifully (via Velcro flaps) and the pouch itself is elasticated so the transmitter (less the belt clip) goes in nice and snug. 

Fantastic bit of kit.

• Like 1

I have mine zip tied to my strap at the bottom just below where you select the channel. I also have velcro going around it further up to both hold it on and to make doubly sure that the battery door is closed and stays closed.

I buy Duracell Industrial batteries in bulk (usually about 100 at a time) and they work out at about 26p per gig and I change them every gig. The old ones go home and are kept for remote controls for the TV etc

I have just saved up and bought the Shure GLXD16, it's the pedalboard version.

Used it for the first time in practice and loved it. It is solid and I could my find any issues on forums. I get to try it out in anger next weekend.

Rechargeable battery and built-in tuner are a great benefit. Tuner tracks very well in both strobe and needle mode.

On 19/01/2018 at 20:47, King Tut said:

I use one of these regularly. I've never had an issue with the battery door, however . . . . for a while, i kept getting dropouts. In order to overcome this i did the following:

1. I stopped leaving the receiver on top of my amp and placed it on the floor. Apparently, they don't like metal underneath them as it affects reception

I have been using the G55 for about 3 years now and always have the receiver sat on top of my amp and I've never had any drop outs. However, the receiver is housed in a different casing so maybe there's some additional insulation or whatnot to help shield it from interference from the amp? 

No idea if the transmitter is the same as the one that comes with the G30, but mine is metal cased and like most of the guys above, I've had issues with the belt clip, mine is metal and very sturdy but virtually impossible to prize apart to slip over my strap. The battery door hasn't caused me any problems but it is a bit fiddly so I can see how it is problematic for some users.

To get around both of these issues, I use a mobile phone pouch that came with a Targus laptop bag, it fits the transmitter perfectly and covers the battery door to prevent any issues there. Plus it Velcros onto my strap. It also offers a thin layer of protection to the transmitter when the bass is on the stand as the transmitter tends to be on the floor due to where I've positioned it. And the little corner cut out for the aerial is perfect for the stubby little Line 6 aerial too. I've been trying to find a link to something similar but can't seem to find the pouch on its own. If I find something I'll update this post with a link.