Why become a member? ×

Just Discovered A 'New' Bassist

stewblack

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Hi, I'd listen to some of that before you buy. I love this music but the singles don't always represent the album tracks.

At £2 per CD it’s not such a loss if there’s a few duff tracks. Some of these sets are amazing value (Bootsy, Meters, Dr John, Donny Hathaway, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane to name a few) for someone who doesn’t already own the albums. 

Fab track, enjoy....i bought a 5 cd box set of Areatha it's chock full of great Basslines...including Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill ect....also bought 5 cd box set of Wilson Picket aswell also chock full of great Basslines....the 60's RnB scene along with James Jamerson is the reason i picked up a Bass 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Fab track, enjoy....i bought a 5 cd box set of Areatha it's chock full of great Basslines...including Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill ect....also bought 5 cd box set of Wilson Picket aswell also chock full of great Basslines....the 60's RnB scene along with James Jamerson is the reason i picked up a Bass 

I came late to the Jamerson party, first picked up the bass in the 80s, but all those who's style I love were influenced by the great 60's basses so it filtered through. Nothing like discovering the mother-lode though!

42 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

There are 2 volumes of the Aretha Atlantic stuff, both are worth getting, as is the Curtis Mayfield one. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

There are 2 volumes of the Aretha Atlantic stuff, both are worth getting, as is the Curtis Mayfield one. 

5 albums for a tenner - oh my!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Pack-Aretha-Franklin/dp/B003097AAG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_15_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C15AJH2E3XDPEDE9BYK8

Try to catch the documentary on the making of Steely Dan's album Aja. There's some good stuff on there from Chuck Rainey, particularly when he told Walter Becker he wanted to put a slap riff in Peg. Becker told him not to but he did it anyway and they loved it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I have both and they’re both well worth the money.

Get The Meters one too, thank me later. 

I got the Meters collection after someone, probably Bubinga 5, posted some stuff of their on here.

I'd never heard of them before. They became one of my all time favourite bands after my first listen to the set.

Criminally underrated band.

On 18/01/2018 at 08:54, thebigyin said:

Thanks for this. I have received my CDs and have already been blown away by the bass playing on just the first side of Spirit In The Dark. This set will live in my car for a few weeks then I'm going to start learning lines from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Thanks for this. I have received my CDs and have already been blown away by the bass playing on just the first side of Spirit In The Dark. This set will live in my car for a few weeks then I'm going to start learning lines from it.

Great to hear.....if you get chance to purchase Donny Hathaway live....it's got what I personally think to be some of the best Bass playing i have ever heard and to think it's live aswell....the Bassist is Willie Weeks and his playing on the track little ghetto boy is outstanding....i advice headphones because you can hear the Bass much clearer 

• Like 1

If you had checked out "standing in the shadows of Motown" you will know just how good Chuck Rainey is. His take on Jamerson is stupendous.

I have loved his playing literally for decades & he has always been at the top of my list of great bassists. Wish I could get his tone and feel.

Everyone should watch some of his teaching videos.

Edited by ivansc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ivansc said:

If you had checked out "standing in the shadows of Motown" you will know just how good Chuck Rainey is. His take on Jamerson is stupendous.

I have loved his playing literally for decades & he has always been at the top of my list of great bassists. Wish I could get his tone and feel.

Everyone should watch some of his teaching videos.

I love the film but am so clueless and unobservant I hadn't recalled his name. Thanks for giving me the excuse I (didn't) need to watch it again.

On 17/01/2018 at 16:21, chris_b said:

Another player to listen to is Nathan East, in Clapton's band for most of the last 30 years.

Any idea if that's him playing on After Midnight Chris? Fantastic, bubbling line; learning it at the moment! 

And thanks for the Chuck Rainey links everyone, I now have some very pleasant homework to catch up on..

• Like 1

The original Clapton version of After Midnight had Carl Radle on bass.

Clapton nicked Carl and the rest of the Delaney and Bonnie band when he formed Derek and the Dominos.

PS

Carl Radle was also in the Mad Dogs and Englishmen band with Joe Cocker and Leon Russell.

Edited by chris_b
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Getting right into Donny Hathaway at the moment (clever Amazon algorithm to thank for that) and as a result I've discovered Louis Satterfield and what I consider to be some rather excellent bass work. His cv is pretty impressive too.

Check this out