Why become a member? ×

Just Discovered A 'New' Bassist

stewblack

Okay, okay so plenty of head shaking from the experts and the knowledgeable, but I just discovered Chuck Rainey. I'm learning Rock Steady by Aretha for an audition and have steadily fallen in love with the extraordinarily splendid bass line. So I do a little research and discover that I probably haven't just discovered him as he has played on so much. I have actually been listening to him for quite some time, notably with King Curtis. I just didn't know who he was.

The riff to the song is a joyous thing, rhythmically perfect, and perfectly repetitive with some little unexpected flashes. He then breaks into a few bars of pure inspiration before settling back onto the groove. Yum. It's beautiful.

A little more research and I find he played with Steely Dan who were of course one of Bruce Thomas favourite bands and Bruce has always been my biggest influence. So there we go.

Anyone familiar with Chuck's work who'd care to point me at other of his gems would render me eternally grateful.

• Like 3

He’s an incredible player. Deep, rich and with a tone to die for. And an absolute monster when he needs to be too, but it’s all about the groove.

Anyone who was booked by Steely Dan must have been a fantastic technician and a superlative sightreader.

Oh, and he’s the author of one of the best instructional books for bass.

• Like 1

This guy has a load of 'Chuck Rainey' transcriptions on his site that are up for grabs (free & well worth checking out).

http://www.lowdownbass.net/transcriptions/

There are so many tracks from Chuck, not to mention all those film and top TV dates, it's hard to know where to start.

Talking of 'Rock Steady', Chuck is on some other tracks ( 2/3/5/7/9/10/11/12) from that great album , 'Young, Gifted and Black' by Aretha Franklin.

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

This guy has a load of 'Chuck Rainey' transcriptions on his site that are up for grabs (free & well worth checking out).

http://www.lowdownbass.net/transcriptions/

There are so many tracks from Chuck, not to mention all those film and top TV dates, it's hard to know where to start.

Talking of 'Rock Steady', Chuck is on some other tracks ( 2/3/5/7/9/10/11/12) from that great album , 'Young, Gifted and Black' by Aretha Franklin.

What a resource that site is. Thank you so much for sharing.

1 minute ago, petebassist said:

@stewblack Thanks for sharing mate, loved RockSteady & hadn't heard of Chuck before. He's a bass master ....

He's right up there isn't he? I'm struggling to keep up with the speed of some of his runs but it's his feel and timing which elevates the song.

Learned my lesson. Laziness and time saving led me to copy a guy off youtube who plays it really well - certainly better that I can - but it's not entirely true to the original, and I want to get 'under Chuck's skin' so I'm starting again learning from the man himself.

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Learned my lesson. Laziness and time saving led me to copy a guy off youtube who plays it really well - certainly better that I can - but it's not entirely true to the original, and I want to get 'under Chuck's skin' so I'm starting again learning from the man himself.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I seem to recall reading or hearing an interview with Rainey where he says about 'Kid Charlemagne' that he himself couldn't play it entirely true to the original.

Or something to that sort of effect.

Edited by EssentialTension
Must learn to spell.

50 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Learned my lesson.

Another player to listen to is Nathan East, in Clapton's band for most of the last 30 years.

Also Keb Mo always has the cream of the bass playing world on his records, like Reggie McBride, Stan Sargeant, Freddy Washington and Hutch Huntchinson.  

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Another player to listen to is Nathan East, in Clapton's band for most of the last 30 years.

Also Keb Mo always has the cream of the bass playing world on his records, like Reggie McBride, Stan Sargeant, Freddy Washington and Hutch Huntchinson.  

Thanks for that. Had to learn Footloose for a covers band recently and was blown away by the bassline. Incredible. I think that was my introduction to Mr East

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

I bought this as a 45 in the early 70's and only recently found out that Chuck is the bassist. . . one of the funkiest bass lines I've heard.

Wow,

I know a lot of Chuck Rainey stuff, including the amazing Rocksteady as posted by the OP.

I didn't know of this track though.  Thank you Chris!

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

I bought this as a 45 in the early 70's and only recently found out that Chuck is the bassist. . . one of the funkiest bass lines I've heard.

Thanks for this, I’d never heard this and will be checking out more by this lady. Just spotted that there’s one of those “Original Album Classics” 5CD sets of her work for not too much. 

Edited by Quatschmacher