Why become a member? ×

*WITHDRAWN* USA Peavey TNT160 Combo
£45

discreet

*WITHDRAWN* USA Peavey TNT160 Bass Combo

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301192.pdf

These were real workhorses back in the day. This one weighs 77lbs (35kg) and runs a 150W RMS amp into a 200W RMS 15" Scorpion driver. As you can see from the pics, I have fitted large castors and side handles which go a long way to offsetting its bulk. It's in pretty good nick for a 27-year-old combo. The only negative is a slight buzz when idling (hence the price), but as soon as you turn it up to any reasonable playing level, the buzz becomes inaudible. Everything works - chorus, compressor, graphic eq, etc. I have gigged the amp, and it really chucks it out to the back of the room - but it may be put to better use in a rehearsal situation, or as a home practice amp, due to its weight.

This is a genuine 'Handcrafted in the USA' example and has plenty of... (whisper it)... Heft. So if you want to live the legacy dream and own a true piece of USA bass playing history, get in! Price is £45 cash on collection from SE London close to the A205 South Circular. I'm not posting it for obvious reasons. Feedback is in my sig.

TNTFull.jpg&key=3cacd19d4bb0b3b6653319daff39cc63dd63a3215ec9ba7278bf4ab12c2e0047

TNTLeft.jpg&key=1c6c733052446cdb7ab6a3a08acc9fbfcdff0f00a61f6954a51376ad13253139

TNTMiddle.jpg&key=564c807f7494332447801674337405d1efc0c2da5a76fc8a9d9305bd22d72e8e

TNTRight.jpg&key=188094604fbe816c0e5cfa99de353b8eab8fa393976716cbdd9a5987392a5075

TNTHandle.jpg&key=d79bb4848f7aa179037f673bc28c1ff3821dda48021db1b301b8cee254a0122e

TNTLabel.jpg&key=a8ddbae46ccf42da9da125d1e17bf06e4b51cc158069eefaa725d9192a945729

TNTGraphic.jpg&key=16a72a84050d79b6e8bb3400e7a946d388be83e9a74ef26fb9aa8897698a4dcf

TNTRemote.jpg&key=4d05e77c196780d84ce872ffc8af5d1086e3a8509484c1f0c5ae8c315be6fbd3

Now WITHDRAWN. I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

I did a PA in a largish pub recently. The bass player had one of these and he didn't need to go through it. If anything he was too loud! Hugely underrated now and will still put much much newer and expensive gear to shame. Great piece of kit. Eee back in the day... GLWTS.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, itsmedunc said:

I did a PA in a largish pub recently. The bass player had one of these and he didn't need to go through it. If anything he was too loud! Hugely underrated now and will still put much much newer and expensive gear to shame. Great piece of kit. Eee back in the day... GLWTS.

Are you coming from Blackburn to buy it? I'll even help you to get it on the train. :D

I couldn't lift it in the house, never mind get it in the train!!! On the night I did the PA, his amp was buzzing. There was  a crack in the plug. He changed that and voila! You never know. I used it's bigger brother for years, the one with the parametric eq. Can't remember the model now. Truly a great sound. That also had a buzz at idle and it turned out to be too many earth's in my chain. Maybe it's the power outlet you have been using?

4 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Maybe it's the power outlet you have been using?

Could well be, my house is an electrical death-trap. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. I don't think it's serious whatever it is. No doubt someone with more technical knowledge than me (i.e. anyone) would know what it is. The buzz isn't loud and it doesn't get any louder as you turn up the volume. I thought I'd better mention it for clarity, and so on. :)

Edited by discreet

Had a look at the plug and it won't screw closed properly. So I put a different, more robust plug on it, and - nothing, it's the same. :D Whatever the buzz is, it's not the plug. But it could still be the power outlet. I'm using it with an extension so I'll plug it direct into the wall and see if that makes any difference.

Tried it plugged directly into the wall and the slight buzz is still apparent. I could easily put up with it, but you might not if your OCD is flaring up. :) However, having played through the combo for a while I have to say it sounds really fantastic. When I gigged it one time I got comments and compliments...

Edit: I might just get it fixed and keep it as my home amp.

Edited by discreet

It can't be a big problem and shouldn't be an issue live really. All my ex Eden gear had various levels of hum too and was never an issue. At the price you are asking, keeping it at home seems the most sensible option if you have room etc. You've always got a backup combo if needed!

• Thanks 1

Just now, itsmedunc said:

It can't be a big problem and shouldn't be an issue live really. All my ex Eden gear had various levels of hum too and was never an issue. At the price you are asking, keeping it at home seems the most sensible option if you have room etc. You've always got a backup combo if needed!

Definitely not an issue live, but it could probably do with a service. I tried my BDI-21 into the return, thus bypassing the preamp and the buzz is still there. I don't know much about amps, but I think I read somewhere that this is an issue with TNTs and it's something to do with the power caps? Could be talking out of my bumhole, of course. :D But you're right, I should probably keep it. The more I play through it the more I don't want to sell it.

You know what... having played through this for a few days it's really grown on me. It's loud, has loads of headroom and genuinely has tone to die for. Having said that, I'd probably die from an exploded scrotum if I had to carry it anywhere... Ow. I'm going to get Greg at Guitar Aid to fix it up and service it, then use it as my home rig. Thanks for the interest and comments, folks. :)

*WITHDRAWN*

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

There's a business opportunity for someone to put on the Market a balloon filled with helium that one inflates inside these cabs and combos. The 'weight of one of Jupiter's moons' phenomenon would be a thing of the past, and these 'old school' tone machines would get a whole new lease of life. Any entrepreneurs out there..? B|