Why become a member? ×

Supersonic, Oasis documentary

uk_lefty

29 minutes ago, mcnach said:

What did [I forget his name] see in them, at that famous gig in Glasgow's King Tut's, to decide he should sign them? Was the musical scene so dire at the time that it made them stand out? Noel has written some good tunes, no question, but the videos I saw from that

Isn't that the art though? Finding a band that has promise, signing them and working on them... If they were already the finished article they'd have been singed by someone else somewhere along the journey. I guess a lot of acts get signed then drop by the wayside if they can't develop, in fact I know someone who has been there and done that a few times. I expect very few "make it" but Oasis did. There weren't many other guitar bands around and most music at the time was dance tripe with repetitive inane lyrics, so there was an opening.

the perfect storm, badly behaved band that parents didn't like ( a well worn ploy), a brilliant songwriter, management who knew what they were doing and right place right time, I suspect quiet a few on here were too old to get Oasis, my kids played their records a lot and I got to like them

Edited by PaulWarning

Watched them at a Free festival in Preston just before their first album, Did not know of them but they really stood out amongst the other bands of the time.

Really had a swagger to them live but I lost interest in them after Morning Glory.

Great time to be a music fan around then and the Brit Pop era. 

I was at that Preston gig at Avenham park - my mate got us to go as he really wanted to see this up and coming indie band called Oasis. I took no notice of them and who did i watch??? Sister Sledge!! Doh!

I thought the documentary was outstanding. I really like the band so that helped.

Really interesting ending too mentioning that the Knebworth gigs etc and demise of the working class bands makingbit big coincided with the emergence of the internet and the hunger for fame rather than talent and experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcnach said:

That attitude just seems pathetic to me. Trying too hard, transparently, to "be cool", which by definition is a fail.

I really can't stand them. Urgh.

Kids from a council estate travelling around with their mates with lots of money and people telling them they're great.I think you just got an exploded version of what they already where.Nothing staged or planned

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

... which I find so hard to understand.

What did [I forget his name] see in them, at that famous gig in Glasgow's King Tut's, to decide he should sign them? Was the musical scene so dire at the time that it made them stand out? Noel has written some good tunes, no question, but the videos I saw from that time didn't look promising (to me, of course).

There are bands I simply don't like, for one reason or another, and I'm fine with it and I understand that people have different tastes. OK. But Oasis intrigues me like no other. How did they become that big? The music? Their lovely personalities? I watched the documentary and it was like watching an accident. I didn't like what I saw but I could not stop watching.

It was interesting, but it did nothing to change my mind about them.

How old are you ?

i was early 30s when they landed,did all the rock/punk stuff,80s manchester stuff,some good stuff around early 90s if you looked.

Heard all the fuss about these,saw them on tv ,lads looking like footy hooligans standing making no effort on stage,easy songs to play ,cocky arrogant etc .It was their time ,like a new Sex Pistols.The kids loved them and most over 25 didn't . In saying that like the Pistols and punk those early songs struck a chord with its audience,lyrics wise.The songs sounded fantastic in bars etc and when i think back to those times an Oasis song is playing .Hats off to McGee,he saw something that night and wuth a bit of guidance it all came off for them.Never known a band go from so promising to so dull

Annoyingly I kind of missed out on much of the Brit Pop, i was more in serious drinker mode back then. I look back and kick myself that in my late 20s I missed so much exciting guitar led music. Sure I`d watch them on top of The Pops, TFI etc, but never thought of going to the gigs or buying the CDs.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Annoyingly I kind of missed out on much of the Brit Pop, i was more in serious drinker mode back then. I look back and kick myself that in my late 20s I missed so much exciting guitar led music. Sure I`d watch them on top of The Pops, TFI etc, but never thought of going to the gigs or buying the CDs.

My serious drinker years included lots of gigs luckily,what i didn't bother with much was TV, cinema,dating,cosy nights in with a pizza  lol !!

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Isn't that the art though? Finding a band that has promise, signing them and working on them... If they were already the finished article they'd have been singed by someone else somewhere along the journey. I guess a lot of acts get signed then drop by the wayside if they can't develop, in fact I know someone who has been there and done that a few times. I expect very few "make it" but Oasis did. There weren't many other guitar bands around and most music at the time was dance tripe with repetitive inane lyrics, so there was an opening.

oh yeah! I was expressing my amazement that the guy could see something special in them at all... I see regularly bands that are far tighter and more polished, in every style you can imagine... so for someone to choose THEM, it's what I can't get my head around it. But then maybe it's why I don't make my living out of signing bands ;)

56 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

How old are you ?

i was early 30s when they landed,did all the rock/punk stuff,80s manchester stuff,some good stuff around early 90s if you looked.

Heard all the fuss about these,saw them on tv ,lads looking like footy hooligans standing making no effort on stage,easy songs to play ,cocky arrogant etc .It was their time ,like a new Sex Pistols.The kids loved them and most over 25 didn't . In saying that like the Pistols and punk those early songs struck a chord with its audience,lyrics wise.The songs sounded fantastic in bars etc and when i think back to those times an Oasis song is playing .Hats off to McGee,he saw something that night and wuth a bit of guidance it all came off for them.Never known a band go from so promising to so dull

I was in my mid 20s at the time... but heavily into 80s metal and prog rock, and 'virtuoso' guitarists etc... which I guess didn't help.

Once I grew up ;) and my taste expanded considerably I was able to like a few of their songs, and Noel's voice is not bad either... but the band just seemed terrible to me, coupled with their attitude and the whiny Liam as a front man... I just could not digest it.

3 hours ago, la bam said:

I was at that Preston gig at Avenham park - my mate got us to go as he really wanted to see this up and coming indie band called Oasis. I took no notice of them and who did i watch??? Sister Sledge!! Doh!

I thought the documentary was outstanding. I really like the band so that helped.

Really interesting ending too mentioning that the Knebworth gigs etc and demise of the working class bands makingbit big coincided with the emergence of the internet and the hunger for fame rather than talent and experience.

That was the Boo Radleys, Skunk Anansie and Tom Robinson Lineup was it ?  I was friendly with Red Moon Joe so went to watch them too.

Actually remember Tom Robinson really well being stood next to a few hundred bikers all singing "Sing if your glad to gay" at the top of there voices! 

I went to so many Mini festivals around that time. 

All i remember is some bloke getting cheered trying to climb upto the top of the big tent on the outside.

And the fact that for some (un health and safety 90s era) it was ok to make a fire wherever you were in the middle of the park and sit round it eith your mates keeping watm and getting bladdered on your own beer from the off licence!! Imagine trying to do that now!