Why become a member? ×

Supersonic, Oasis documentary

uk_lefty

I'm no fan of theirs, only ever bought their records as nostalgic presents for my brother who now lives abroad, but the documentary is a good watch.

If you hate their personalities, and I can't blame you for that, you still can't help but admire the hard work, determination, song writing and seizing of the moment. It really shows the band as a group of mates who tried to start a band and just stuck their neck out for one gig where a chance encounter got them a record deal. 

It's in BBC iPlayer at the moment, worth an hour and a half. Some great 90's pop songs from the days before the internet ruined everything ;)

• Like 2

Yep I saw this and thought it was great. I just wish that there was a good live CD of them, preferably from the Knebworth or Maine Road gigs. Whilst I love their hits, the non-hits really pass me by, but a good live performance of all the hits from one gig, rather than snippets from many would be great.

I can't stand them.......but it's a great watch and I enjoyed it. 

Theres a quote in there from someone saying the Gallagher brothers are the last of the great 'rock stars' and i think that's probably correct. Smashing stuff up, fighting and being generally hard work etc is proper rock and roll 

Edited by Mudpup

I will echo everyone else's comments, I never had much time for them as people or their music to be honest. However this was a good insight and very entertaining, and I don't quite know why, but I actually really like Noel. He really doesn't give sh*t what he says or who he offends, and I think most of it is only meant to provoke people for the fun of it rather than intentionally hurt anyone. There is a dark sense of humor in there and he pokes fun at his own songs, which even I cant deny, defined a generation and struck a chord with so many people. It is an incredible talent being able to write songs that so many people identify with, especially when you do it on your own without a focus group to help out.

On 16/01/2018 at 11:42, Mudpup said:

Theres a quote in there from someone saying the Gallagher brothers are the last of the great 'rock stars' and i think that's probably correct. Smashing stuff up, fighting and being generally hard work etc is proper rock and roll 

Yeah,anyone who's tried to make it with original stuff can relate to the story and all the antics .Real old fashioned Rock n roll spirit,drugs ,trashing hotels,fights etc.etc.

44 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

unlike most on here I liked Oasis (it's almost unfashionable to say that isn't it?), well the first 2 albums anyway, but I like the Beatles and Glam rock,.

I'll have to give this a watch, thanks for the heads up

I did too,the first albums speak for themselves but they seemed to get more mouthy the worse they got after that so i suppose you make your bed.They're getting a resurgence with kids at the moment,teenagers including my son

54 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

It's a documentary about the Gallagher brothers, rather than Oasis. 

Fair enough I suppose as they're the only ones people give a rat's about. 

Background wise i suppose you're right but everyone gort a mention from McGee to the sound guy to the stand ins to the tour managers

On 1/16/2018 at 11:42, Mudpup said:

That attitude just seems pathetic to me. Trying too hard, transparently, to "be cool", which by definition is a fail.

I really can't stand them. Urgh.

Our old producer did the sound for Oasis on their far-east tour, and he said that they really were more like a street gang than a band. He didn`t seem to be of the opinion that they were trying/acting in any way, that was just how they were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

...but they were cool in the eyes of the people who's opinion really counted at the time.

... which I find so hard to understand.

What did [I forget his name] see in them, at that famous gig in Glasgow's King Tut's, to decide he should sign them? Was the musical scene so dire at the time that it made them stand out? Noel has written some good tunes, no question, but the videos I saw from that time didn't look promising (to me, of course).

There are bands I simply don't like, for one reason or another, and I'm fine with it and I understand that people have different tastes. OK. But Oasis intrigues me like no other. How did they become that big? The music? Their lovely personalities? I watched the documentary and it was like watching an accident. I didn't like what I saw but I could not stop watching.

It was interesting, but it did nothing to change my mind about them.

25 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Our old producer did the sound for Oasis on their far-east tour, and he said that they really were more like a street gang than a band. He didn`t seem to be of the opinion that they were trying/acting in any way, that was just how they were.

so they were real idiots, not fake idiots? :P

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mcnach said:

... which I find so hard to understand.

What did [I forget his name] see in them, at that famous gig in Glasgow's King Tut's, to decide he should sign them? Was the musical scene so dire at the time that it made them stand out? Noel has written some good tunes, no question, but the videos I saw from that time didn't look promising (to me, of course).

There are bands I simply don't like, for one reason or another, and I'm fine with it and I understand that people have different tastes. OK. But Oasis intrigues me like no other. How did they become that big? The music? Their lovely personalities? I watched the documentary and it was like watching an accident. I didn't like what I saw but I could not stop watching.

It was interesting, but it did nothing to change my mind about them.

Well - and I must stress I can take 'em or leave 'em - they wrote some great anthems that the kids latched onto. And lots of those kids also picked up guitars because of them... I'm sure we'd all agree that's a good thing.

I wouldn't say the musical scene was dire at the time, but it was in danger of disappearing up its own derrière. Oasis reminded us that normal people can start a band, have fun, and make a shedload of money.

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Well - and I must stress I can take 'em or leave 'em - they wrote some great anthems that the kids latched onto. And lots of those kids also picked up guitars because of them... I'm sure we'd all agree that's a good thing.

I wouldn't say the musical scene was dire at the time, but it was in danger of disappearing up its own derrière. Oasis reminded us that normal people can start a band, have fun, and make a shedload of money.

It's undeniable that they had a huge effect. Kids picking up guitars etc... that's true too. Which all adds to my amazement. Sometimes I feel like I was away in Mars and I had missed a whole decade or something because I really could not understand how they were so influencial. :D

I think I also resent them a bit because they were the reason I found it so hard to find a band I'd like to join. Far too many Oasis wannabes... but without the good songs ;)