Why become a member? ×

New range from fender.

Painy

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There were always lots of other brands than fender from the 60s - 70s onwards, especially as fender were quite an expensive brand (over here).

I would also say it isn't really fair to say that fender unloaded fender and start MusicMan. He sold Fender as he was wrongly told he was dying and he wanted to provide money for the family, and then didn't die, so helped a guy who used to be at fender with his new company.

G&L was certainly a thing of his own though. 

Not sure if they out fendered fender though, in scale of how many basses are put out by manufacturers, I would think only ibanez come near to the output of fender.

Other than output volume, Ibanez is quite literally the opposite of Fender in terms of innovation. Sure, each year’s new batch of models will feature new colours/wood combos of last year’s models but you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll also bring out a good number of genuinely interesting new instruments. Particularly in the bass department.

Edited by CameronJ

The point is that in a thousand bars across the world there are a thousand bass players churning out Mustang Sally on a Fender Bass - or a Fender copy. You go to Andican in the Fergana Valley, in the foothills of the Tien Shan mounains, the mountains of Heaven, or Kinshasa, or Brasilia, and you will find someone playing Mustang Sally on a Fender Bass. OK, I'm exaggerating for effect, but that is basically what Fender is all about, and where its market is. That's what sells, and what it will come back to.

I agree they are everywhere, but not at £2grand a pop! Bass players only have themselves to blame. When do you ever see a pro band’s bassist on TVor at a gig playing anything else that a P or J? It used to be guitarists who were so conservative as to only play a Strat or a Les Paul, now bassists have reverted to the same narrow outlook.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Spelling mistake

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The Dimension wasn’t particularly new or innovative, just different for them. It wasn’t a bass which filled a hole, it would be hard to see a vital place for it on any company’s roster. It came across as a half-hearted effort. I really believe if they put out a high quality instrument which actually did something well, it could be a success. Their business model is just utter laziness. Either “here’s old stuff with a new name” or “here’s something new which is a mish-mash of old parts with a variation of an old name”

It’s safe and dull and predictable.

Certainly have some points there.

I own an American Dimension Deluxe 1V HH.

The neck is asymmetrical thicker at back than front. The compound radius board combines with that to make THE fastest neck I've ever played. The pup selector switch is so simple, pre amp is great, the pups go from smooth to aggressive.

Nothing exactly revolutionary but a tremendous bass to play.

The only reason I don't gig it more is because I prefer passive.

Nonetheless, it's my 1st choice for home noodling :)

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

They're never going to the same amount of units of, let's say, contemporary designs, but if Dingwall, Sadowsky, Lull, Ibanez, etc, etc, etc can make money selling new designs,

Show me the new designs that Sadowsky and Lull make!

8 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I wonder what these add that the American Vintage series didn't already have. Those were already highly regarded and very true to the original models. I guess they had become too affordable and stopped people from buying the American Professional series :|

Modern radius board and frets. 

I quite like this idea actually, it’s predominantly why I got a Geddy Lee.  I prefer the look and the finish (especially if it’s nitro) of the older stuff, but I don’t really get on with the radius and thin frets. 

Price though ? Ouch !

I don't have a problem with Fender reinventing the past it IS what they do best. I just don't see the point of these... replacing the AV line with something that isn't a vintage reissue is neither here nor there. I thought Fender were doing just fine with the AVRI line. Changing the years occasionally and offering classic colours had more mileage and kudos I would have thought. So now the Mexican basses are more accurate.. wot?

25 minutes ago, discreet said:

This evening I tapped out Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' on my scrotum with a teaspoon.

By sheer chance, I recently bought a teaspoon for £1800. I was assured, it was a vintage-replica teaspoon with the '54 correct curvature of the handle. 

Washing up and tea spoon playing aside, Fender announces a rename of its American Vintage line with some (very mariginally) modified basses and it gets 1370 views and 100 replies in less than 24 hours?!! 

Good for them if that's what keeps them afloat and is their sales model. I'll certainly be looking at the new models with interest - not sure they'll get over my 70s created aversion to their basses, when lots of other makes started providing a better platform for players to express themselves. 

However if people generally want to hark back to 60s pop when bass players were generally the rumbling and inaudible poor relation of the band, plodding along in the background then this doesn't auger well for bass players and bass playing in general - it's also to be heard and seen in current popular music as well - not universally though as some producers and players do seem to see the value of bass as a fundamental or leading part of music. 

The demographic of the forum must have changed and is perhaps over-represented by Fender players - something also visible on televised music but strangely not amongst the range of players I see in local bands where a much broader range of makes appears. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1