Why become a member? ×

New range from fender.

Painy

Fender slightly modify the same old things and give it a new name, the same depressing business model they’ve followed for quite some time. They are in one hell of a rut. It’s sad that a company once known for such revolutionary innovation have descended into being their own tribute band.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Fender slightly modify the same old things and give it a new name, the same depressing business model they’ve followed for quite some time. They are in one hell of a rut. It’s sad that a company once known for such revolutionary innovation have descended into being their own tribute band.

To be fair the revolutionary innovation happened years ago. I agree with you about the rut, but on the other hand when Fender do try something new everyone practically has a heart attack and demands they get back to their 'core values', i.e. more of the same. :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 4

The Dimension wasn’t particularly new or innovative, just different for them. It wasn’t a bass which filled a hole, it would be hard to see a vital place for it on any company’s roster. It came across as a half-hearted effort. I really believe if they put out a high quality instrument which actually did something well, it could be a success. Their business model is just utter laziness. Either “here’s old stuff with a new name” or “here’s something new which is a mish-mash of old parts with a variation of an old name”

It’s safe and dull and predictable.

Why didn't they release a fan fret, graphite neck, headless, MIDI equipped & self tuning P Bass? :facepalm:

I'm a Fender fan - I empathise that there isn't much to be done to a well established range, mass market design wise. With the guitar market crashing, second hand sales ever growing,  I can't see why they shouldn't mix up the specs to lure people, who can afford it, into buying new versions. I like some new bits, dislikes others, such is life. 

I'm with Discreet on this one. 

I wonder what these add that the American Vintage series didn't already have. Those were already highly regarded and very true to the original models. I guess they had become too affordable and stopped people from buying the American Professional series :|

Someone remind me, what was the series of fairly standard, US-made guitars called which was dropped just prior to the "American Professional" being launched? I have a sneaky suspicion the "Brand New American Original Series!" isn't actually a completely brand new idea (although of course the guitars themselves will be new, not secondhand etc).

2 hours ago, discreet said:

To be fair the revolutionary innovation happened years ago. I agree with you about the rut, but on the other hand when Fender do try something new everyone practically has a heart attack and demands they get back to their 'core values', i.e. more of the same. :)

Absolutely. Fender is for bass players who know what they like and like what they know. When was the last time Fender introduced a new design that actually stuck? What happened to the Urge? The Roscoe Beck model? Come to that, which artist sig has stuck other than the Jaco bass, which seems to have been around for ever? 

Whenever Fender comes out with a new design. . . . no one buys it. It seems they have not been managed very well and need to draw a line under the past. Expect a reissue of all their models with new names to differentiate now from before.

After all the only difference between an Anderson Strat and a Lull P bass and the Fender originals is quality of manufacture, sound and playability. I'd expect the new models will be better made so that Fender is better placed to be able to compete, and start reducing that massive debt.

I tried a Pro Jazz last year and I liked it. I thought it sounded better than the ASJV I had at the time. Still too heavy for my glass back but if it could shed a few pounds I'd have been tempted.

Edited by chris_b