Why become a member? ×

Sigh.....this is what we're up against

Barking Spiders

I loved the first bass player I would have stopped for a while , given him some cash and tried to buy his squier off him :D ,but can completely appreciate why he was getting ignored. There was a magnificent string quartet playing in Liverpool city centre once with nobody watching whilst just round the corner guys dancing with jedward masks on had a crowd of hundreds. That was the market at the time.

Edited by edstraker123

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I don't mean the excellence of the guy's playing but the sad and dismal lack of interest from any shoppers.

We've all had to put up with disinterest and apathy from our audiences. The problem is that, as performers, we should be making them look, listen and appreciate us. if we don't do that then we don't deserve to be noticed.

This guy is not impressing anyone by sitting, hunched over in the street. He needs to get up and walk about. I'm impressed he's busking in a suit, shirt and tie. Did he pop out of the office for 10 mins in his lunch break for a bit of al fresco bass playing?  If you want to be successful at busking you've got to be big, bold and interesting. Unfortunately, 'cos he seems like a reasonably good player, this guy is none of those.

Edited by chris_b

I once stood and watched a fantastic saxophonist stand under a bridge, here in Edinburgh, and play his heart out. He was so good that I went up to him and gave him a tenner. He looked at me and said 'I'm not busking, it's just that the reverb is really great under this bridge'.

He didn't give me my tenner back though.

• Haha 2

In the late 60's you could regularly see Lol Coxhill busking outside places like Harrods in Knightsbridge and in the West End.

Sadly, there were very few pedestrians in the morning rush hour who were interested in unaccompanied free form jazz.