Why become a member? ×

Sigh.....this is what we're up against

Barking Spiders

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Nah, it`s cos in these label-driven times passers by saw he was playing a Squier, so thought he wasn`t a serious musician.......................

Would have been ok if it had been a Squier P bass, though, right Lozz (particularly if he was using a Sansamp PDDI to go with it)? :D

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Had he been some girl warbling an Adele number to a backing track there'd have been a good size throng.

Went on holiday to the Gambia some years ago, one night the entertainment was a band playing JuJu music - brilliant musicianship and fantastic performances all round, I loved it - they were almost totally ignored by the largely British audience. Next night, the hotel staff mimed (very badly) to a selection of hits from the 60s and 70s played over a very crappy PA system - the audience went nuts and lapped it up. 

Edited by discreet

Whereas this guy has had nearly 5 MILLION YouTube hits had no trouble getting passers by to stop! (Side story - he actually auditioned for one of the covers bands I'm in, but bizarrely proved to be a superb solo bedroom warrior and not able to play so well in band, so we went with someone much less charismatic! Real shame, I'd have loved to have worked with him). 

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Whereas this guy has had nearly 5 MILLION YouTube hits had no trouble getting passers by to stop! (Side story - he actually auditioned for one of the covers bands I'm in, but bizarrely proved to be a superb solo bedroom warrior and not able to play so well in band, so we went with someone much less charismatic! Real shame, I'd have loved to have worked with him). 

Ive seen this guy a few times. love his playing. Very talented IMO.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive seen this guy a few times. love his playing. Very talented IMO.

Whereabouts in Central London are you dave_bass5? I'm planning on meeting up with @Wolverinebass to try out his 8 and 12 strings basses, which I'm intrigued by (and to slag off ugly designer bass cabs over a beer ). Dunno if you fancy joining us?

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Whereabouts in Central London are you dave_bass5? I'm planning on meeting up with @Wolverinebass to try out his 8 and 12 strings basses, which I'm intrigued by (and to slag off ugly designer bass cabs over a beer ). Dunno if you fancy joining us?

Im right in the middle of London, by the Southbank. Thanks for the invite but its not really my cup of tea if im honest. I try to stay away from things i dont have or cant afford, for the obvious reasons :-)

Red knob notwithstanding, it helps that that guitar player has done so many other things smarter than the two bass players.  Obviously, playing one of the most recognisable and well loved guitar songs of all time helps a great deal :) but he's also a stronger entertainer all round, despite looking like a shy guitar nerd.  He sounds better, he's louder and he looks significantly more at ease.

Edited by linear

It matters not how great the musicians are, its the quality of the material that makes the sound interesting or listenable. Singing while busking always seems to help. My brother in law busks with his sax and when he plays difficult and complex Jazz stuff the odd muso will comment, but when he plays well known swing stuff he draws a crowd. Guess what he plays the most, he likes to earn money, thats what busking is mainly about.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

It matters not how great the musicians are, its the quality of the material that makes the sound interesting or listenable. Singing while busking always seems to help. My brother in law busks with his sax and when he plays difficult and complex Jazz stuff the odd muso will comment, but when he plays well known swing stuff he draws a crowd. Guess what he plays the most, he likes to earn money, thats what busking is mainly about.

Aye I totally get what you and Dropzone are saying it's all about the market i.e. needing to play familiar stuff you hear ad nauseam on pretty much every music radio station . Same thing applies to whether viz  jobbing bands playing well worn covers or own/less known stuff. Guess I'm bored with what the 'market' keeps pumping out.  Possibly both the bass players need to put a bit of a performance into their schtick but I'd have stopped for five mins and bunged 'em a quid.

Most people walking past these guys probably have their own agenda, lunch break, catching the train home, work deadlines etc. and are too busy to stop and watch buskers. How many non bass players are going to give someone playing solo bass a second thought ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

Most people walking past these guys probably have their own agenda, lunch break, catching the train home, work deadlines etc. and are too busy to stop and watch buskers. How many non bass players are going to give someone playing solo bass a second thought ?

Not even me, and I play bass. I like to hear bass in a song context, personally I dont find it a solo instrument.

• Like 1