Why become a member? ×

Nitro Finished Neck

yorks5stringer

I refinished and decaled a neck for my Telecaster Bass Project. Whilst I'm fine with the head stock and rear of neck ( lightly rub with 1200 then 200 wet n dry till smooth) and polish with Farecla scratch remover, I'm a bit unsure on the fretted side.

I've already got the lacquer off the frets by rubbing with thinners through a fret-shaped cardboard template but how do address the area between the frets?  Do I rub with w&d on a small block in the direction of the grain ( lengthwise) or go cross ways without a block to match the slight curve of the neck? Also how do i deal with the top end of the neck where the frets are close together?

Also should I mask the frets to avoid going over them?

I used micromesh pads, cut them into strips as thin as I needed with scissors and didn't worry too much about sanding across the grain. It would have been nigh on impossible otherwise. Then a good polish with Meguillar's ultimate compound (T-cut would probably work just as well) and I have a nice shiny fretboard. It's not a bass though, which is why there's no build thread on here :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris said:

I used micromesh pads, cut them into strips as thin as I needed with scissors and didn't worry too much about sanding across the grain. It would have been nigh on impossible otherwise. Then a good polish with Meguillar's ultimate compound (T-cut would probably work just as well) and I have a nice shiny fretboard. It's not a bass though, which is why there's no build thread on here :)

Wash your mouth out!

3 hours ago, Norris said:

So did you cut them to the 'declining'  width of the gaps between the frets as you got higher up the neck?  Assume no hard block but just finger pressure? I heard T Cut has ammonia in it and might not be nice to nitro...?

9 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

So did you cut them to the 'declining'  width of the gaps between the frets as you got higher up the neck?  Assume no hard block but just finger pressure? I heard T Cut has ammonia in it and might not be nice to nitro...?

I cut about 3 different widths. I'm assuming that your fretboard is fairly flat to start with of course. The micromesh takes off such miniscule amounts that it's not going to affect the flatness of the board. I don't know about T-cut, I used Meguillar's - it polished it up nicely with no detrimental effects on the lacquer as far as I can tell