Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Jazz Deluxe V - 60s/70s Style

JimBobTTD

8 hours ago, JimBobTTD said:

Many thanks, Dolando. I cannot find anywhere local that does 22mm Forstner bits so I have ordered some off eBay. 

It looks like the project will be done at the end of August, give or take. 

Awesome! It's looking lovely look forward to seeing it finished. A Spade bit could also work if you were really careful, but more surface area for drill to lock into on a Forstner bit. :)

5 hours ago, Norris said:

Drilling accurately with a spade bit is not easy, even using a pillar drill. Having 3 or more cutting edges makes it much more stable and less likely to wander

I agree with @Norris here.  In my earlier days, and in total ignorance of there being such things as Forstner bits, I used spade cutters once or twice for this job - highly dodgy to be honest, with lots of potential for unwanted problems

57 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I agree with @Norris here.  In my earlier days, and in total ignorance of there being such things as Forstner bits, I used spade cutters once or twice for this job - highly dodgy to be honest, with lots of potential for unwanted problems

I agree with you agreeing with Norris. I think Dolando's "if you were really careful" sealed it for me...I am careful, but I do not want to do anything that will risk damaging the body, so I do not think I can be careful enough. 

• Haha 1