Why become a member? ×

Gig Gear bag = what do you use

dmccombe7

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure whether to laugh at that or whether its genuine or not. O.o

Dave

The incident is one that I will never forget.  The site of the sting was right on my glans!  I modified the story slightly for laughs to compensate for the days of agony that I suffered.  I'll let you imagine what sort of ribbing I got from the other campers.

That was the last time I swung a leg over a motorbike whilst naked without checking the saddle first.  Talk about motorcycle helmets... mine was a beaut for a while.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

The incident is one that I will never forget.  The site of the sting was right on my glans!  I modified the story slightly for laughs to compensate for the days of agony that I suffered.  I'll let you imagine what sort of ribbing I got from the other campers.

That was the last time I swung a leg over a motorbike whilst naked without checking the saddle first.  Talk about motorcycle helmets... mine was a beaut for a while.

Now i'm gonna laugh. Always thought motorbikes were dangerous. xD

Should i reinforce that you should always cover your head while riding a bike. :D

Dave

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I carry my gig gear in a large MPV. For most gigs it contains at least a dozen bags and boxes of varying sizes.

The idea of fitting "my gear" into a backpack is actually quite funny.

Only talking about carrying the smaller items, the necesities to get you thru a gig. Leads, batteries, effects, tuner, tools, anything else required in case of breakdown or emergency when gear goes wrong. 

Not so much the bass or amp side of gigging.

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now i'm gonna laugh. Always thought motorbikes were dangerous. xD

Should i reinforce that you should always cover your head while riding a bike. :D

Dave

In my case I only sat on the 'bike.  I never even got to turn the motor over until the swelling went down a week later!

@Happy Jack;  It sounds like you'd need a massive sac(k) to accommodate your bulky peripherals.

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Only talking about carrying the smaller items, the necesities to get you thru a gig. Leads, batteries, effects, tuner, tools, anything else required in case of breakdown or emergency when gear goes wrong. 

Not so much the bass or amp side of gigging.

Dave

Yeh, I get that, but - what with being the bass player an' all - I get to bring all the "Leads, batteries, effects, tuner, tools, anything else required in case of breakdown or emergency when gear goes wrong" for the entire band. :D

And the entire PA and lightshow.

But a fairer answer to the OP would be a Makita semi-rigid toolbag for my personal foldback & instrument leads + a Stanley toolbag for amp & pedals.

Basses live in Mono Vertigo bags without the Tick add-on.  I can keep charts, cables and tuners in the sleeve pocket.

For gig bags I have two, both picked up very cheap in a Mono close out sale from their former UK distributor.

Gig bag #1, which goes to all rehearsals and gigs, is actually a Mono Drum Pedal bag.  Perfect for two straps, tuner and patch lead, ear plugs, tool kit, two power leads and two speakons.

Gig bag #2 is a Mono Club, which is actually designed for pedalboards but is perfect for bigger gigs as I add into that all my other spare leads, two Hercules stands, two Markbass Mark Stands, and various other sundries.

I like Mono :)

I used a flight case for years, which looked incredibly cool, but weighed a ton. Recently, I've switched to a "Producer Bag" by Thomann which is brilliant. Loads of storage pockets and easy to carry. The centre dividing panel was removed from the main storage section to make room for bigger or odd shaped stuff - I use two Hercules folding stands and they fit in there a treat. 

image.png.9fb16ddd00ad8d5bf73a5a12bef7e873.png7778088_800.jpg

I use one of these. It's on wheels and has a pull-up grab-handle so easy enough to move around. If necessary, I can just take out the top half only which, to be fair, with a bit of re-organizing, I can get by with well enough.

But I've rarely been at a gig and thought, rats - I shoulda brought such 'n' such....!

image.png.177f8c132937bc59174f6556bb8b73c9.png

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's the very thing i was thinking off. Will see if they are available in UK.

Dave

I ordered through the website and got them to ship it over. Arrived pretty quickly with little fuss. 

It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but in the end I thought what the hell - it was paid back very quickly by gig money and it's well designed and makes life easier. 

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

I used a flight case for years, which looked incredibly cool, but weighed a ton. Recently, I've switched to a "Producer Bag" by Thomann which is brilliant. Loads of storage pockets and easy to carry. The centre dividing panel was removed from the main storage section to make room for bigger or odd shaped stuff - I use two Hercules folding stands and they fit in there a treat. 

image.png.9fb16ddd00ad8d5bf73a5a12bef7e873.png7778088_800.jpg

PeteB;s Lugville from the US which is circa £80 plus P&P is exactly what i was thinking but this could be a close 2nd and at only £30. Leads would still end up in the black hole compartment tho.....xD

5 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

I use one of these. It's on wheels and has a pull-up grab-handle so easy enough to move around. If necessary, I can just take out the top half only which, to be fair, with a bit of re-organizing, I can get by with well enough.

But I've rarely been at a gig and thought, rats - I shoulda brought such 'n' such....!

image.png.177f8c132937bc59174f6556bb8b73c9.png

Fascinating Steve ... but what do you actually use the spirit level for at a gig?

:crazy:

• Like 1

I just carry all my leads and stuff in a Stanley tool bag. £10 from B&Q - it's sturdy and plenty of space for me. I believe they come in 3 sizes at the time I bought mine last year.

It's black and yellow, so if you're a Markbass user - like I have again become - it matches nicely!