Why become a member? ×

Gig Gear bag = what do you use

dmccombe7

Ive racked my amp and back up amp in an abs 4u rack. Contains everything i need, tuner, modeller, fx, di out etc.

All i need to do is plug in the pre wired 4 way and speakon and its good to go.

Considering looking at swapping my b3 for a ms60b so i can put that in there too as a handy tool.

On the side i have a mark bass keeper so no need for a separate stand.

My guitar clip on tuner (snark) and cables live in a compartment in the bass case.

Used laptop bags and cheap nylon shopping bags - the sort with the zip across the top. Have my Dynacord PA head in a ladies shopper thaat cost me eleven quid instead of fifty for the "real thing". MB LM3 is in an old laptop bag (free) instead of the official bag at fifty odd.

Three gym bags for all the cables and mains adapters for the PA rig, Bass rig  Microphones (seven of them) and a guitar rig. The whole lot including the PA fits neatly under the "desk" (a section of kitchen counter top) in my studio! Stands are in an old keyboard bag in the garden shed and all the ret is used in the studio when not gigging. About as compact as I can get.

If I am doing a bigger PA gig  I generally take one of my aluminium "pilot's case" or "electrician's toolbox" thingies. Bought four of them in the nineties at a tenner a piece  - was shocked to see how much they have gone up in price!

On 1/15/2018 at 21:43, dmccombe7 said:

Had a search and couldn't see anything so thought i would ask the question. 

I'm curious what people use to carry their gear to gigs. Not their bass but more their leads, spare batteries, strings, tools and all that kind of stuff.

I usually take a rucksack but was wondering if there is a dedicated bag for it.

Dave

All my gear other than bass and cab fit in a laptop bag. Even the amp. I just wish I could find a laptop bag that would also fit a 1x15 lol. 

• Haha 1

I don't gig but can imagine that hardware stores sales bags to suit your needs. I know for fact that angling stores do. I own a couple and they have all different compartments. They're lightweight, robust and waterproof.

Have a look. This gives you an idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fishing+holdall&oq=fishing+holdall&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.7061j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I carry my amp head in an old laptop bag, which someone was throwing out. It's a fairly sturdy bag
Plenty of room for my TC Electronic 550 head. But there's lots of room for a mains lead, couple of Speakon cables and couple of Jack leads
Also has pockets for set-lists or notes and plenty of room left over for odds & ends like a tuner etc
The main thing is it provides good protection for the amp head, I can sling it over my shoulder on its' strap..... and it was FREE! :)

If I'm taking my Genz rig, I use a Chauvet padded bag like this

14043190359267-CHS-40-CLOSED-LEFT%20edit.png?itok=6HqZojz4

...it fits my ShuttleMax 12.2 like a dream with the movable partition & takes my footswitch, leads, Zoom B3 & smaller bits & bobs with ease.

If I'm using the Rumble combo I take a laptop bag-type affair my missus picked up at a conference. It's cheap & cheerful, it's made out of some thin plastic type material so isn't going to last forever but it's got loads of compartments, has a shoulder strap & is light as hell. It does say 'Mental Health Foundation' on the front, but unfortunately, I've yet to be asked if that's what the band's called :P 

• Haha 1

I carry my leads, DI box, Wireless, mains extension leads, set lists, plasters, pain killers, business cards, etc. in a tool bag I bought from B&Q for 18 quid. Has a rigid bottom, so doesn't fold up when you lift it, and a wide opening so it's not to hard to find stuff inside it, though it helps if I've remembered to put in what I'm looking for, of course!

• Like 1

On 16/01/2018 at 08:07, dmccombe7 said:

I was hoping to find something that seperates but lifts. A wonderbra perhaps :biggrin:

Seriously thos something that doesn't end up being the pit of doom where all things can get lost in a black hole.

The Lugville shown earlier would be ideal but its a bit expensive and don't see any for sale in UK. I like the idea of my leads being secured individually and compartments for other bits and bobs incl smaller pedals like my TC Polytune.

The toolbag sounds promising. Will need to look into them a bit more.  

Yeah,the womans handbag syndrome!.I like the Thoman bag as it kind of amp head shaped so you sit it flat and open the top giving you access to everything easily

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I feel sorry for all those laptops left naked and shivering after they were evicted from their homes.  For shame!

Ive never actually owned a Laptop. I actually got the bag for the amp and cables.

Now that i want to start using a pedal board i guess im going to need something larger to carry it al in.

I use a small wheeled suitcase by IT luggage - I find the supermarkets often have deals on them.

They fit my amp head, guitar stand and various mains extension/spare leads, and have some pockets outside and inside the lid.  

Their main selling point is that they're supposedly the lightest luggage available on the market, and as I was having back troubles at the time, I was trying to save weight/improve portability where I could.

I'm on my second one after I broke the zip on the first trying to jam too much stuff in, but I'm really happy with mine.

They also come in a range of funky colours, if you're that way inclined...

I knew a chap once who bought a laptop bag just to pretend he owned a laptop.  That was when they were something special.  I pretty sure he paid a lot more than £24 too.  Turns out, these days they're of more practical value than the laptop that should reside in them.

Heeheehee well done that man.

• Haha 1

Have to say the laptop bag at £24 from Amazon does a pretty good job if you dont carry loads of gear.

Leads, Polytune and comp pedals, batteries, small tool kit, strings, music notes for rehearsals. Much more and it would struggle but suits me at the moment until something better comes along.

Dave

I'd love something more compact. But I carry: 6m loom from pedalboard to behind amp (power and signal), two 3m instrument leads for the gig plus another two spare, spare patch leads for the board (power and signal), Hercules iPad holder, strap, spare clip on tuner, two radio packs for instrument and IEM, IEM buds in their box, bluetooth page turner, box of spare 9V batteries, box of AA batteries.

There's probably more but either way, I couldn't get it in a laptop case :(

A wheelie suitcase - mostly because it's strong enough, light, got a pull out handle and on wheels. Carries all the XLRs, powercons, looms, straps etc. You can load it to capacity and the contents can weight a tonne without the bag destroying itself. For example, in contrast, how many of you have a drummer with a canvas rolling bag for their hardware? And how many of those drum bags are not falling apart?

Guess the size of your bag depends on how much gear you take to gigs.