Why become a member? ×

Laney Richter bass cab. Who'd have thought.

leschirons

A couple of years ago, I  bought a really cheap Laney Richter rig. 1x15 combo and a matching 4x10 just to leave at our rehearsal studio. Had no interest in the 4x10 so sold it to a friend for 40€

He never used it and last week, I agreed to have it back to stick in my home studio, probably to sit on whilst playing.

Plugged in my spare head (an LM2) to make sure it still worked, and cannot believe how great this thing sounds. Really tight and precise, nearly hi-fi tone. Fab lows and mids. It's really compact for a 4x10 and I'm sure that has something to do with it. These go for pennies on ebay . If you come across one,  it's worth trying out.

I know its all subjective, but it sounds better than my GB cabs, the Markbass cabs I had,  and a Berg I tried last week.

Trouble is, it's not Neo weight 😂

Edited by leschirons
Left out something

18 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

This is interesting information... time to do an eBay trawl xD

Triple ports at back and on/off switch for the tweeter. Celestion 108 loaded.

Just found one on Gumtree for £60. Probably nick it for £50. Mine's the older type with Richter on the front. I think it's only about 250 watts but it knocks out gig volume with the LM2 on No 4. Moves a huge amount of air and seriously handles a low B.

4 hours ago, leschirons said:

Triple ports at back and on/off switch for the tweeter. Celestion 108 loaded.

Just found one on Gumtree for £60. Probably nick it for £50. Mine's the older type with Richter on the front. I think it's only about 250 watts but it knocks out gig volume with the LM2 on No 4. Moves a huge amount of air and seriously handles a low B.

I think my Ashton 410 had these - part of the lower end Tru-vox / TF series and they worked great in that too. They haven't got an exceptional spec but there's something pretty sweet sounding about them.

• Like 1

i always tell my bass playing students if they want a good cheap cab to get one of these and they all ignore me as its a Laney! i'll have to show them this thread! 

i used one for band practices at our local rehearsal rooms and thought it was a great cab with my genz 12.2. the owner has since moved it into his studio rooms for bass tracking.  

16 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Old Peavey 4x10s and 8x10s are the same. Heavy, but seriously good sounding and can be picked up for peanuts.

I had the the slightly newer, larger box TXF version. It sounded awesome but weighed 8000 tonnes..

4 hours ago, Andytre said:

i always tell my bass playing students if they want a good cheap cab to get one of these and they all ignore me as its a Laney! i'll have to show them this thread! 

i used one for band practices at our local rehearsal rooms and thought it was a great cab with my genz 12.2. the owner has since moved it into his studio rooms for bass tracking.  

Just tried mine with my Shuttle 6.0

Absolutely brilliant.