Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass rigs that you love , and beat your high end rigs

kevvo66

It's probably been done  but ,I've been pondering this one for a while  this can be a combo or rig  , but nothing other £500 pounds as it just get silly , I've played and owned some great cheap rigs and combo and some top end stuff  that was errr shite I won't mention names as people get a bit tetchy over such things . right people lets  have it  see me as your weekly  confession box  or agony  aunt , so lovies let's begin  😏

Hartke for me. Their HA3500 is a classic, great eq and loud as hell. Often see them going 

for c. £100 s/h , bargain.

Also my GK Backline 300 is a recent favourite, use it as a spare amp.

At rehearsals the other day I set it up and A/B’d it with my 1001RB and there wasn’t much in it.

Certainly not the £400 difference I paid anyway.

Amp-wise nothing really, but cab-wise I prefer my Ashdown ABM speaker cabs to the higher-end ones I`ve had previously. Happened by chance as well, every gig I did where the cabs were Ashdowns I just liked the sound, but hadn`t considered them due to the larger size & weight. Decided to pretend to be a real man & go for them, and am very glad I did. Used my 410 & 210 cost less than £400, a fraction of the cost, and I`ve seen them in not such good condition go for less than £200 for the 410s.

• Like 1

There's an old TNT 130 at our rehearsal space - the real old one with the parametric mid, not the graphic EQ - which is from the 1980's. We ditched the Scorpion speaker (which sounded a bit flat) and put a newer Celestion in (after trialing a JBL) and it for what it is, it kicks donkey.  It's a bit 'clangy' but has plenty of power for it's rating and is more than usable in a gig situation - I used it at a wet / muddy show during summer last year as I didn't want my Trace or SWR boxes covered in muck!  It'll never replace the Trace or the Fender but I'd happily use it again if I needed to.

i was given a Ashdown Blueline combo for free, one of the UK made ones. and i do like it! its not powerful enough for big gigs but smaller ones or home practice its ace! good tone, nice and simple and best of all free! i ended up cutting it in half so its a separate head and cab, popped a 300watt celestion speaker i had lying around in it because why not! 

Obviously I'm going to join in with the Peavey TNT love - just played through my TNT160 and it sounds brilliant. I originally bought it to gig with a band I was in a while back, as there was another TNT in the rehearsal room and it sounded so effortlessly good with a P Bass, I wanted one.

I've recently bought a Trace 7215 300W combo and that's a beast too - looking forward to gigging it in the near future. Incredible value for money! Makes me wonder a little bit about the amount of cash I've spent over the years on new amps and cabs... I'm not even going to attempt to calculate the total, I think it might make me sad...

Edited by discreet

The GK Backline600 head I had, that was £100 and a pint of cider. Really nice sounding head and very loud. I used to play that through a Ampeg B410hlf. Got that 2nd hand for not a lot (can’t remember the actual price). Really loud with a good tone that rig.

Brand new, I bough the V2 Fender Rumble 210 350w combo for about £300. In retrospect I should have just stuck with that as it sounded really good and was really solid.

I had an old Ashdown Mag300 head, and a GK backline 1x15 cab, the speaker of which had been swapped for an Eminence driver.

It sounded huge and was really portable too - did loads of gigs with that.

Good shout on the old Peavey TNT too - i had a TNT130 for a long time and thrashed it, but it always sounded good.