Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Sub USA Sterling SOLD
£500

martthebass

Up for viewing is a 2005 MM US made SUB. This is the much rarer Sterling variant in the equally rare cinnamon sparkle ‘artex’ like colour scheme which sort of flips between dark crimson and dark green.  The bass is active 3 band (the only US Sub that was IIRC) but doesn’t have the coil switching like the full fat  Sterling.  The neck profile is like the Sterling however, Jazz profile and very fast.  The body is slab but due to the smaller proportions the bass is a nice weight at 9lb dead on.

When I first got the bass the Matt black painted neck was sticky and the top coat starting to peel so I had it professionally stripped by a Sheffield luthier and sprayed up with a thin gloss with a slight tint. To maintain the headstock look this was kept black and lightly sprayed over.  The serial of the bass was carefully kept in situ on the back of the headstock.  The black paint has left a few tiny flecks which can be seen under the lacquer in odd places but I didn’t want the already slim neck over sanded. The original drain grate pickguard has been replaced by a nice pearl number.

The condition of the Bass is pretty good considering it’s done a hundred or so gigs with me alone, there are some cosmetic dings but nothing too horrendous. 

In terms of trades, not really, unless you have a nice Fender Mustang bass preferably a competition stripe model in great condition.

No hard case but would be securely packaged for a buyer arranged courier.  Alternatively you could meet me somewhere in sunny South Yorkshire (or at one of my gigs over the coming weeks in the Selby, Leeds area) or even at MTB towers which would include complimentary Yorkshire tea and a Ginger Nut.

30E1D66D-B0A9-432F-88BC-5153409622C0.jpeg

DC2C7B71-A19E-40E3-8A55-19738B9DF69A.jpeg

7B299883-F066-4CC6-93BB-20A2093767B9.jpeg

109DD95F-F3D9-436C-8F4B-05C0AA0BCEB8.jpeg

354B50C0-8BB9-42BB-810C-32F7402BE8CE.jpeg

Edited by martthebass

1 hour ago, KingChrome said:

Great basses, and a bit more aggressive for my taste then the regular Sterlings.

Might be the wood.

I loved mine!

I could be wrong KC but I believe the pup is wired in series and is an Alnico job as opposed to the Ceramic in a regular Sterling.  It definitely sounds different to the 3 band Alnico Stingray (2016 Starry Night Ltd) that has replaced it.  On the flip side it doesn't sound anywhere near as aggressive as the full fat US 2002 Sterling I owned some time back - that was a real sizzler.  I have it strung with Status Half Rounds which are a bit smoother though which is probably a factor.

Edited by martthebass