Why become a member? ×

If £2k is burning a hole in your pocket....

Barking Spiders

18 hours ago, martthebass said:

Know what you mean GST, if I can hold the course it’ll be the Omega, if I can see financial pressures (eg. ‘We could do with a new bed’ Mrs MTB) then it’ll be the Breitling....but still an auto.

Go for a Speedmaster Professional - you know you want to :heart:

As for me?  I think I'd be holding out for a BassDirect offer on a  Mike Lull Thunderbird at a favourable price.

Take Mrs. LBM to spend a month or two with my cousin Tim in Perth, W.A. No brainer for me. It's the least she deserves after nearly 40 years of putting up with me, and he doesn't enjoy good health these days so if we're going to meet again it's the only way it will happen. Helps that we have an open invitation to stay as long as we want.

Given my age and current circumstances I have all the musical gear I'm ever likely to need. 3 months ago I'd have said 'a decent parlour guitar and a nice acoustic amp', but after selling my Shuker Jazz I now have those anyway.

1 minute ago, josie said:

It happened. The hole now looks like this: 

Splendid; well done you..! Although I can already hear the feathers ruffling; in other topics here, how every string has to have its own saddle..! No, my Verithin bass hasn't, either, and my cloth ears don't pick up the difference..! Old school 'thump' guaranteed, I'll bet, and you'll not be doing much 'slapping' either..! Strings are a personal choice, of course; I chose tapewounds (Rotosound Tru-bass 88...) over a decade ago, and they suite the style of bass very well indeed. Just sayin'. B|

She sounds surprisingly light and crisp until you push in that little red "bass boost" button and suddenly the growl and thump run up your spine and down the floorboards. No wonder reggae bass players loved EB2s. I had no idea until I first picked her up how much visceral response you get from a hollow-body. Let alone the emotional punch of knowing she's been part of 50 years of music history and makes me part of it too.

I've tried playing tape-wounds once, on a borrowed Jazz, and didn't like the feel or the sound. I've put chrome flats on my fretless and love them - tape-wound on a fretless works if you want a jazz double-bass sound, but I'm aiming for a blues slide bass with that one. But I can see your point for this one, I might try it. Thanks for that :-)