Why become a member? ×

Best sounding/value for money used 6x10

cetera

Been thinking about revisiting a 6x10 cab....... I had a Berg NV610 for a while a few years back and loved the sound/weight but it may be a little expensive to pick up another one used now.....
Anyone have real world experience of other used cabs and can offer opinions/suggestions etc  e.g. SWR Goliath SR, Ampeg 610HLF etc? I'm interested in tightness of tone, punch, low end authority (not muddy!) and weight/value for money....
Cheers!

Edited by cetera

I've a SWR Goliath SR and it's awesome. A little on the heavy side at 115lbs but sounds amazing with the tweeter off. Best thing is no one seems to want these behemoths so are dirt cheap on the 2nd hand market.  Tone wise, a great presence, strong in the mid range, a clean tight sound.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Thanks 1

I have a old USA Ampeg 6x10 and absolutely love the punch from it ...prefer it over the 8x10 and ashdown 6x10cl I had. Quiet heavy though, but can be found cheap. I use a valve head with It ( if makes a difference).

I will say that the horn on it sounds crap though ( I never use one for my sound anyway)

Edited by danbowskill
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Anyone have real world experience of others who can offers opinions/suggestions etc on e.g. SWR Goliath SR, Ampeg 610HLF etc? I'm interested in tightness of tone, punch, low end authority (not muddy!) and weight/value for money....

I know a bass player getting a great sound out of a Barefaced Six10. It'll tick all your boxes and most of them twice. I'd also check out the Four10 which would be a match for most of the 610 cabs you've listed.

If you’ve had experience of the Berg NV610 then the SWR and Ampeg 610s are going to disappoint. Not that they’re awful, it’s just that Bergantino is much much better.  The technology has moved on.  I’ve had no experience with the bigger offerings from Markbass/Genz Benz/Barefaced etc but if I were you I’d be looking for some more modern designs than the SWR or the Ampeg.