Why become a member? ×

LaBella Gold White Nylons - experiences?

Sibob

Anyone had them fitted to a bass?

Curious about them for my Lakland 55-01 but slightly apprehensive about the gauges (although I gather they're relatively low tension?!).

Thoughts? I gather they sit somewhere between black nylons and flats in tone/feel?!

Cheers

Si

I had a set on my main bass for a while. Feel lovely and smooth and I'd say sound similar to old Chromes regarding brightness. In the end I changed to D'Addario half rounds as I wanted something a little brighter sounding and the LaBella's were to low tension for me, but I'd happily play a tune on suspension bridge cables. 

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

I had a set on my main bass for a while. Feel lovely and smooth and I'd say sound similar to old Chromes regarding brightness. In the end I changed to D'Addario half rounds as I wanted something a little brighter sounding and the LaBella's were to low tension for me, but I'd happily play a tune on suspension bridge cables. 

That's interesting you mention Chromes as I have a set on my P and love them.

Is the tension similar to Chromes? The LaBellas would be going on a 35" scale bass.

Si

La Bella nylon flats are low tension, even the .60 set.  Much lower than Chromes.  The golds are similar in tone to the White Nylons (same outer, core is brass with the golds and steel with the whites), so they are the brightest of the nylon flats they make.

I love them on fretted and fretless basses.  Use nothing else.

4 minutes ago, walbassist said:

La Bella nylon flats are low tension, even the .60 set.  Much lower than Chromes.  The golds are similar in tone to the White Nylons (same outer, core is brass with the golds and steel with the whites), so they are the brightest of the nylon flats they make.

I love them on fretted and fretless basses.  Use nothing else.

Lower tension than round wounds? (I know that's variable, but you know what I mean). I have Lakland rounds on the 55-01 currently.

Cheers

Si

Had them on my Sandberg Thinline Custom Fretless 6 and, while I hate the plastic sound of the black nylon's on the fingerboard, these are very good sounding, lots of harmonics with a fundamental you can hear, very precise with lots of mwah on this special fretless (only one passive Bartolini Quad Coil with direct output and set neck). Light to the fingers, but not as light as the TI JF. More harmonics and not the flat feeling under the fingers which can be disturbing. Quite expensive too. To me, the best nylon strings ever.

• Thanks 1