Why become a member? ×

Miming on TOTP's

thebrig

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Expletive Delighted...

Yes, it pleases me to have a good old swear as well, but I can't. Apparently this is a family-friendly forum, but I've never seen kids on here, ever. Or dogs, babies or grandmothers.

Plenty of grandfathers, though. :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

I thought I remembered seeing a Stranglers clip on the UK TOTP wher JJ Burnel is jumping around wafting smoke away instead of playing and then Hugh Cornwell mimed the guitar solo in mid air below the guitar neck.

Then again, it could have just been some sort of perverted dream I had...

This one?

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2018 at 15:42, thebrig said:

I was watching glam rock at the BBC the other night, and I couldn’t help noticing just how bad the miming on Top Of The Pops was, most bands never even tried to make it look like anything other than blatent miming, just look at the bass player in this clip of Chicory Tip, his right hand is moving as if he is playing rhythm, and his left hand just doesn’t move at all.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess I just needed to mention it I suppose.

When I was (very) young it was a revelation to me that the performers on TOTP were not actually performing for the most part.  Everyone around me already knew!  Before wireless the absence of instrument cables gave it away even if the vocalist was miming well.

We were much more easily entertained back then.  Now we're demanding  a lot out of entertainment.

On 1/15/2018 at 07:33, T-Bay said:

Yup, it was the bbc band rpthat had some sort of stitch up job done as they had to have a part in somehow. It’s been on a few documentaries over the years but I can’t remember the exact details.

Anyone remember the awful TOTP albums of the years best songs but played by completely different people?

Yes.  A right old rip-off they were.  If the vinyl was any thinner it'd be transparent.

14 hours ago, discreet said:

Yes, it pleases me to have a good old swear as well, but I can't. Apparently this is a family-friendly forum, but I've never seen kids on here, ever. Or dogs, babies or grandmothers.

Plenty of grandfathers, though. :D

As a lady of grandmotherable age, I find it quaint when gentlemen apologise to me for swearing (this happens quite frequently in a new band situation).   My stock response is  'Don't mind me, I lived with a drummer for 11 years'  :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seashell said:

As a lady of grandmotherable age, I find it quaint when gentlemen apologise to me for swearing (this happens quite frequently in a new band situation).   My stock response is  'Don't mind me, I lived with a drummer for 11 years'  :D

Today's word is 'grandmotherable'. You win the internet. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always used to amuse me in the late 70's / early 80's to see all the punk and new wave bands on TOTP. They knew that going

on the show was really compromising their ideals, but couldn't resist the opportunity to shift some units, and therefore used to

to mess around & mime badly ( or not at all..)  in the mistaken belief they were being so anti-establishment for their fans. 

I worked in music retailing at this time, and the effect of a TOTP appearance ( however bad/good ) was massive on sales,

so they obviously knew what they were doing. Lots of those bands would not have had such success without TOTP and

the Beeb in general, yet liked to give the impression of biting the hands that fed them. All good for the image I guess.....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dlloyd said:

There's a story about Jimi Hendrix appearing on Top of the Pops in 1967 to perform/mime Purple Haze, only for the technician to put on Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear... I would have liked to have seen that, if it's true.

Also the thought of Alan Price doing Purple Haze could have been interesting.

3 hours ago, seashell said:

So is Grandmotherable another word for GILF??

"Cor!! She looks Grandmotherable!!"

:)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

The was a period where you did have to pre record your song live early in the day then mime to it later,or record the vocal live or soemthing along those lines.Something to do with MU ??

Think you had to re-record the song in the presence of MU reps to prove it was you on the original. Then mime to it on TOTP.

Apparently the re-recorded tapes often used to get 'confused' with the original recordings for TOTP transmission quite often though :D

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 07:33, T-Bay said:

Yup, it was the bbc band rpthat had some sort of stitch up job done as they had to have a part in somehow. It’s been on a few documentaries over the years but I can’t remember the exact details.

Anyone remember the awful TOTP albums of the years best songs but played by completely different people?

There's also a rather curious "Hot Gossip" album that was actually played on and produced by Ian Craig Marsh and Martin Ware of the early Human League. 

On 16/01/2018 at 14:21, MrCrane said:

A couple of reasons broadcasters prefer miming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032vp1d

IIRC, didnt Hendrix change a song when he played on some live show  ( maybe the Lulu show ? )   I think he was booked to play Hey Joe, and suddenly he stopped the band and started playing  Sunshine Of Your Love,  and  beeb geezers behind the scenes cut the power after a minute or two

24 minutes ago, fleabag said:

IIRC, didnt Hendrix change a song when he played on some live show  ( maybe the Lulu show ? )   I think he was booked to play Hey Joe, and suddenly he stopped the band and started playing  Sunshine Of Your Love,  and  beeb geezers behind the scenes cut the power after a minute or two

You should have probably looked at the first link in the post you quoted... ;-)

Edited by BigRedX

3 hours ago, darkandrew said:

There's also a rather curious "Hot Gossip" album that was actually played on and produced by Ian Craig Marsh and Martin Ware of the early Human League. 

Damn *rushes to find a copy for early Human League, B.E.F., Heaven 17 completist issues*

Ahhhh yes...

Edited by Frank Blank