Why become a member? ×

Miming on TOTP's

thebrig

I was watching glam rock at the BBC the other night, and I couldn’t help noticing just how bad the miming on Top Of The Pops was, most bands never even tried to make it look like anything other than blatent miming, just look at the bass player in this clip of Chicory Tip, his right hand is moving as if he is playing rhythm, and his left hand just doesn’t move at all.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess I just needed to mention it I suppose.

10 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I was watching glam rock at the BBC the other night, and I couldn’t help noticing just how bad the miming on Top Of The Pops was, most bands never even tried to make it look like anything other than blatent miming, just look at the bass player in this clip of Chicory Tip, his right hand is moving as if he is playing rhythm, and his left hand just doesn’t move at all.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess I just needed to mention it I suppose.

Perhaps the band never played on the recording so they didn't actually know how to mime to it ... or simply couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, back in those days many rockers thought it pretentious actually to mime, so better to take the fosters.

All the bands were miming, the audience knew they were miming and the people at home knew they were miming, what is the point pretending well?

Some people took it to an artform, stand in dummies and the like, sure iron maiden, quo and motorhead did that.

Then there are people that didn't even get round to it:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

All the bands were miming, the audience knew they were miming and the people at home knew they were miming, what is the point pretending well?

Some people took it to an artform, stand in dummies and the like, sure iron maiden, quo and motorhead did that.

Then there are people that didn't even get round to it:

That looks more like a foldback problem than any deliberate attempt not to bother. I remember seeing a now famous Pebble Mill at One act who had the same problem. Cant remember the band though

Edited by fleabag

27 minutes ago, fleabag said:

That looks more like a foldback problem than any deliberate attempt not to bother. I remember seeing a now famous Pebble Mill at One act who had the same problem. Cant remember the band though

Think that was Owen Paul - My favourite waste of time.