Why become a member? ×

Are Flatwounds Addictive

stewblack

I first tried flats on a cheap old SGC Nanyo fretless, and they were Rotosound Monels, which i didn't like at all (too stiff for me, and a bit toneless).

But, I've got TIs on my Epiphone Jack Casady, and La Bella 760FLs on my Fender P bass, which are both lovely. Enough string tension without having to fight them, and really good, refined tone. I doubt i'd swap them back to rounds.

I have a Yamaha with nickel rounds for when I need that sort of sound.

The sound of flatwound strings was an eye opener for me. I put a set of GHS Precision flats on my Lull PJ5 a few years ago. They were the first set I'd used in many decades and they made a significant improvement to an already great sound. I was surprised as to how much oomph and authority they brought to the tone. I've since put on a set of TI flats and IMO they sound even better. I doubt I'll put rounds on my P basses again.

So the plan from now on is rounds on the active J but only flats on the passive P.

All I use now is flats gives me the sound I want not everyones cup of T or coffee, but you need some decent flats and not cheapo make I now retract this statement see my next thread further down the page, eating humble pie yes indeed 😗

Edited by kevvo66

Yes I've just fitted a set on my farida p bass sound great  so contradicting myself about cheap strings from my earlier thread , really good for the money , I read a string test on line and they came in at no 1 one  there as  good if not better than other high end strings if you can get past the snobbery  , I like them about  £14 notes on eBay psst  but don't tell everyone  as it will bang the prices up 😂 

Edited by kevvo66

2 hours ago, mikeycrikey said:

Has anybody else tried Olympia flats. Really cheap at £13:99. Low tension, great sound and feel to them. I actually took a set of TI Flats off my Yamaha BB4424x to fit these and I really do prefer them. Well worth a punt at this price. 

Now this is the kind of info I like!

23 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Fender flats are the horridest flats I've ever tried. Got them off my Corvette after two days. Stiffer than a doornail. TIs and Chromes are my favourite, much more compliant; I'd like to try the new low tension Labellas if I manage to find a set.

I love the fenders so if they're going in the bin I'll have them.😄

Oh, definitely addicted to loving flats. 

I have Chromes on my P Bass, EB Cobalts on my Jazz and LaBella on my Spirit headless. I like them all, but Chromes will be tried on the Jazz at the weekend, looking forward to it. 

Big fan of TI’s, and would love to try LaBella white nylon... guess I need 2 new basses? :) 

• Like 1