Why become a member? ×

Buddy Rich.

bubinga5

2 hours ago, mikel said:

As Dad says, both. I am not a lover of "Flash" drummers. Its only personal taste and opinion but his arrogance comes across in his playing.

I always find criticisms of  musicians as “flash” or “busy” a bit strange, as if the only sign of a great musician is restraint, regardless of whether that’s what is required at a particular point in time. I always got the impression Buddy was doing his damnedest to swing his band into outer space, which is a fairly admirable trait for a jazz drummer in my book.:biggrin:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I always find criticisms of  musicians as “flash” or “busy” a bit strange, as if the only sign of a great musician is restraint, regardless of whether that’s what is required at a particular point in time. I always got the impression Buddy was doing his damnedest to swing his band into outer space, which is a fairly admirable trait for a jazz drummer in my book.:biggrin:

For my part, it's not a question of musicianship. I'll be the first to agree that BR was a great musician. It's only personal taste, with music as with much else, I tend to connect better with sobriety. There are a great many artists, of all and every ilk, that I applaud for their contribution to their art, but wouldn't consider for my own consumption. I'm not denigrating his playing; just saying that I don't rate it above others, as a personal choice.

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

For my part, it's not a question of musicianship. I'll be the first to agree that BR was a great musician. It's only personal taste, with music as with much else, I tend to connect better with sobriety. There are a great many artists, of all and every ilk, that I applaud for their contribution to their art, but wouldn't consider for my own consumption. I'm not denigrating his playing; just saying that I don't rate it above others, as a personal choice.

For my part, I put BR above the others. He was way ahead of his time who's abilty backed up his mouth.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I can't claim to have an encyclaepedic knowledge of big bands, but from what I've heard so far Buddy Rich and his band are, IMHO, the pinnacle of high achievement and something to aspire to. I know his character was, errrr, "interesting" but so what? I am intelligent enough to take inspiration from the subset of his activities which I admire (ie the music) and not copy his band management style and expect equal success there.

• 3 weeks later...

BR was never really rated by Jazzers. He was an entertainer, showman and a drummers drummer. As clever as he undoubtedly was, he was never really considered very musical. I had one of his albums on cassette way back but would not look for anything he has done again. Ps Neil Peart is also a bit crap at Jazz.

Edited by Bilbo

He certainly was a showman; and whilst he may not have particularly highly rated by “jazzers” (whatever that means), he clearly had the playing ability and a larger than life personality. He also toured with some tighter than tight big bands with some ripping arrangements so not just a drummer. 

He was in some ways a product of his time - and how many well-known musicians aren’t particularly nice people in the flesh?

I don’t play drums that well but know enough to recognise a prodigious talent and a huge amount of hard work and practice. The clip at the top actually shows some very deft and nuanced stickwork that is evidence that he wasn’t just a showman but a great musician. Whether he was the ultimate sideman in terms of taste or restraint isn’t really relevant; it’d be a dull world if we were all the same etc etc.

On 2/6/2018 at 20:50, Bilbo said:

BR was never really rated by Jazzers. He was an entertainer, showman and a drummers drummer. As clever as he undoubtedly was, he was never really considered very musical. I had one of his albums on cassette way back but would not look for anything he has done again. Ps Neil Peart is also a bit crap at Jazz.

Name me a musical drummer. :biggrin:  Actually, most of the Jazzers I've ever known (and I've known a lot) rate him very highly, but they're all his age group.

I second the Neil Peart thing (a lot crap at jazz I'd say), but he's still pretty good in Rush, which is handy for him.xD

Edited by 4000

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Name me a musical drummer:biggrin:  Actually, most of the Jazzers I've ever known (and I've known a lot) rate him very highly, but they're all his age group.

I second the Neil Peart thing (a lot crap at jazz I'd say), but he's still pretty good in Rush, which is handy for him.xD

Jake Hannah: definitely a musical drummer, especially with his brush work. 

Bollards too. Just seen your subsequent post!

Edited by Bobthedog