Why become a member? ×

Buddy Rich.

bubinga5

Im sure this vid has been on BC before. Probably by me. o.O. But it still amazes me now. What a character he was and what a fantastic drummer. I have lots of favourite drummers, Poogie Bell, Billy Cobham, Dennis Chambers, Pete R Biggins. But this guy, especially back then, was just way out there. 

Far from being my 'favourite drummer', but respect; he plays all that in a three-piece suit and 'dicky' bow tie, and is way past his teens. A showman's showman, and a great model for 'fronting' the drummer. I must say I prefer when he's playing with and for the band, rather than these solo set-pieces, but it shows how it can be done (given decades of hard, dedicated practise and one hell of a dose of talent...).
Thanks for posting.

I saw this band in the mid 70s around the same time I saw the Stanley Clarke band (I'd never heard Schooldays as it had only just come out - first song - rather mind blowing), the Crusaders, Roy Ayers, Jeff Beck band, Weather Report and others.

It's a testament to the Buddy Rich Orchestra that I remember the concert really well - and not just because of him - the bass player was excellent and the whole band played jazz funk and jazz rock with a tightness and fluidity easily on a par with the best of the time. 

Edited by drTStingray

Always love to watch Buddy play but this video is the same as ones that appear on Youtube with Billy Sheehan or Stu Hamm. They don't play like this all the time, these clips are there to show that they can play like this should they want to :)

It was when watching this video the first time that I came across this

Since then Steve Gadd has become one of my favourite drummers

Edited by Delberthot

Absolutely my all-time favourite drummer by leagues; arguably my favourite musician. Totally driving and swung like a mutha. Worshipped his drumming as a kid (was brought up on jazz). Saw him live twice and he was light years ahead of anyone else. 

Edited by 4000

2 hours ago, mikel said:

A great and innovative player but too full of himself for me, ...

I'm interested in your comment - Are you saying that his performance demonstrates that he is "full of himself"? Or, are you saying that Buddy Rich's reputation lessens your appreciation of him as a musician?

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

I'm interested in your comment - Are you saying that his performance demonstrates that he is "full of himself"? Or, are you saying that Buddy Rich's reputation lessens your appreciation of him as a musician?

Personally, I'd say 'Both'. I'm not expert in the private lives of folks in general, and tittle-tattle is not a reliable source for judging people at all, but the tales told and some videos don't do much to make the bloke sympathetic to me. His playing is equally somewhat bereft of humility, for the most part. As I posted above, he was a brilliant showman, and a virtuoso drummer; there's no denying that. Would I go to see him play 'live', even in his prime..? No, I wouldn't. My loss, quite likely, but I'd rather stay at home and listen to Spencer Dryden, Dave Mattacks or Joe Morello. A question of taste, that's all.

Edited by Dad3353

22 hours ago, mikel said:

A great and innovative player but too full of himself for me, and I am primarily a drummer. Check out Chick Webb from the old drummers, now there was a guy who could out play the best but was happier fronting and playing for his band.

Buddy is probably the only guy where I accept his arogence. He definitely had the goods to back up his mouth.

Back in the early days of rock, there were a considerable number of drummers that were just as he says, crap.

My recollection, the first guys in rock to start breaking the mood and stepping out of that small box, Dino Dinelli of The Rascals and Mitch Mitchells.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

As a youngster I bought a double album of Buddy's drum solos.

what was I thinking ? I hate bloody drum solos xD

I actually like drum solos from artist of this caliber.

I also like acoustic jazz bass solos. However I do not like solos on the electric bass guitar. I don't like listening to them or taking them.

Blue

I played a big band gig off one of Buddy’s charts some time ago. The tempo sig was given as Orgasmo Furioso. When I politely inquired I was told it meant Go Like Fcuk. No kiddin’.

BTW it is said that in his long career BR was never ever happy with any snare he used.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bassace said:

I played a big band gig off one of Buddy’s charts some time ago. The tempo sig was given as Orgasmo Furioso. When I politely inquired I was told it meant Go Like Fcuk. No kiddin’.

Priceless  :)

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

As Dad says, both. I am not a lover of "Flash" drummers. Its only personal taste and opinion but his arrogance comes across in his playing.

16 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Buddy is probably the only guy where I accept his arogence. He definitely had the goods to back up his mouth.

Back in the early days of rock, there were a considerable number of drummers that were just as he says, crap.

My recollection, the first guys in rock to start breaking the mood and stepping out of that small box, Dino Dibelli of The Rascals and Mitch Mitchells.

Blue

My point exactly.  No need for mouthing off If you are comfortable with your playing, and knocking other musicians is plain wrong. Live and let live. Mitch was pretty much a Jazz/Fusion drummer.

13 minutes ago, mikel said:

My point exactly.  No need for mouthing off If you are comfortable with your playing, and knocking other musicians is plain wrong. Live and let live. Mitch was pretty much a Jazz/Fusion drummer.

It wouldn't be Buddy if he didn't mouth off. 

Buddywas more than a great drummer, he was also a celebrity a personality. People expected and we're entertained by his antics.

Blue

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Buddy was more than a great drummer, he was also a celebrity a personality. People expected and we're entertained by his antics.

Blue

Indeed, a showbiz legend.

Watching Buddy being interviewed on TV was always good for a laugh, with all his musician stories and antics. And of course, the Bus tapes are legendary.

His driving, hard swinging Big Band playing was pretty spectacular in a showbiz way. Certainly put bums on seats.

Not my favourite drummer, but certainly deserves his place as a respected, top musician. I only watched him play once (Lewisham Theatre in South East London), the evening was great, totally amazed by the level of musicianship from his young band. There are still a lot of his ex players who talk fondly of him, and there were some terrific, well known musos who passed through his bands.

Steve Marcus (RIP) was playing Tenor with him for years and gives a great radio interview about him below (worth a listen - some good music in there as well).

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Buddywas more than a great drummer, he was also a celebrity a personality. People expected and we're entertained by his antics.

Blue

Mussolini was followed and revered by many at one point, too. :|