Why become a member? ×

Two Basses into one amp

beastie

Hi all I have a delima 

i have a Double Bass and a electric bass that I want to run into one input on my amp .the idea is so I can have a floor pedal that gives my two separate lines with both guitars plugged in so when playing live I can swoop the instruments over inbertween songs without having to adjust the front of house pa or amp no pre amps or preferred 

gary

I found that with a passive switch (such as the above Fender ABY pedal) that it would sometimes make a 'pop' sound when switching instruments.  I don't (fully) know the technical reasons, or perhaps I was doing something wrong.

I've had more success with a Boss LS-2 which is buffered (and so requires a power supply).  Switching is completely silent.  Also, it has a volume knob per channel, allowing you to equalize the volumes of the two basses if they have different underlying output levels.

I suppose the disadvantages are that it costs a bit more, and some people might argue that a buffered pedal can alter the tone.

I use a custom built AB-Y switch (about 20 quid)

I run two line 6 g30 wireless units into it  A - my upright/ B - my bass gat, these then run to TC tuner, DOD compressor and then my preamp - a Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe with 3 channels saved for various Upright sounds and 3 for my bass gat. Two taps and I've swapped instruments and EQs between songs.

I also use an EHX silencer in the loop to kill pickup hum. 

All fits on a Pedaltrain junior. Lovely jubbly

A boss LS 2 would also be a good option

On 14/01/2018 at 11:14, James Nada said:

One of these would do it

Fender ABY Pedal Switch Between Two Amps or Guitars 023-4506-000 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HQXUH5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_USZwAbXNJ0RPR

There are cheaper ones out there too.  A friend if mine uses one of these to switch between guitar and pedal steel into one amp.

I use the Fender ABY, and it’s great. Doesn’t make any noise when switching between two basses either.

For around £25 it’s a no brainer  IMO.

I use a Radial bigshot i/o instrument selector (passive) and I also have a Radial Tonebone Bassbone (active with EQ and DI) for that purpose. Both great quality, the passive one is a lot cheaper mind you!

Edited by jimbobothy

• 4 weeks later...