Why become a member? ×

Effects SIgnal routing, DIs and the B9

Salt on your Bass?

Hi guys,
Looking for some advice and thoughts on pedal board routing.

I'm running a delay, fuzz, meatbox and wah in series presently but soon to be sending a separate feed to FOH from the meatbox.

I've also just picked up an ehx b9 to simulate some organ type sounds in a few areas with the aim of it coming across as a separate instrument. This is where my question is. I've tried both separate amp and blending via an Ls2. It feels like a dedicated amp/channel to foh provides more flexibility....does it? Or is this me making stuff up.

Also does anyone else turn up to gigs and ask for three DIs from the sound guy.... Pretty sure that would be reasonably well received.... Not!

Welcome any thoughts. I'm still playing around and rebuilding my board at the mo.

Thanks as always

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Think of it this way, say another band on the same night had an extra guitarist and keys - the FOH would have to deal with those extra channels then, why should you be treated any different. Just class the B9 as your keyboard player!

The B9 has a dry output, so unless you want to split your signal beforehand so you can send an octave up into the B9 (which I recommend trying), just go into the B9 first and send the dry output to the rest of your bass chain.

I really like the B9 going into a bit of overdrive or even a dirty guitar amp (that you could then mic up), so give that a try too!

• Like 1

I've been running a b9 and c9 on my board for a couple of years now. 

I go in to the input of the b9 and via the dry out to c9, and then route the bass signal out to the rest of the bass board. 

From the organ out of each pedal I go to an a/b box and then via a killswitch ( for when I need to mute the keys signal) and then to a di and separate channel in the desk. 

All I have to do from there is select which keys sound I need for the particular song, and mute / open as necessary. 

Pit works a dream in situ 😉

Happy to talk via pm if it helps👍👍

• Like 1

Had a good long mess around in rehearsal and having tried two amps, different eqs and in my Ls2 I actually prefer it though the Ls2.... 

Not to say that's representative of anything live of course, just felt best. I'll probably try a separate di foh once we're back out gigging as well though. Got a nice little di killswitch which would work well. 

Thanks for the replies 

• Like 1