Why become a member? ×

Just bought my first 6 string any advice appreciated

thebigyin

Just bought my first 6 string Bass....it's a second hand Cort a6....through neck and through body stringing option...probably an impulse buy but took my eye the moment i see it...played it or attempted to lol...the actions low and felt quite comfortable to be honest...i hung it back up and had a play of a few 4 strings and was immediately drawn to it again...i have pondered whether to get one for a number of years but never bothered....any advice will be gladly accepted. Ended up buying the above 6 string and a second hand ESP Pancho Tomeselli signature Bass aswell and a new Ampeg practice amp lol

I don't know how you play at the moment but with the above comments I would say make sure your left hand is anchored by the thumb being at the back of the neck and not hooked over the top of the fretboard. This opens the hand more and allows you to reach the strings etc easier. Have fun :D

Initially, how you get on, will be down to whether you're used to a B string. If you're not, then the mistaking it for an E string will soon pass😂 You may then, find yourself wondering how you ever did without one. 

Thetop C, if you're not really into soloing, will still allow you to explore some great chord work. Loadsa fun

Personally, I love a sixer but have to stick to narrow string spacing.

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Do you play a five already? I'd find a six easier to play than a four these days! 

No always played 4's....but fancied a change it's more curiosity than anything....obviously still a bit clumsy on it...it's getting used to the string spacing but hopefully will get the hang of it eventually thanks for your reply 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Do you play a five already? I'd find a six easier to play than a four these days! 

You're absolutely right, me too. Is it the symmetry do you think? Having the normal four strings with one either side.

Edited by ambient

Thanks for the replies folks....i am hoping to get the hang of it but not in a hurry to do so....i just wanted to explore some more options and hopefully click with it...i'm really pleased with it...it's a beast but beautiful to the eye. Fingers crossed lol

Watch videos of great 6 string players like Steve Lawson, who I ended up studying with in the end when I was having problems adapting to the 6. When I first started on a 6 string about 15 years ago, I was still trying to play like a 5, particularly with my right-hand. A good right hand technique is to follow the strings down as you move, so if you're playing notes on the D string for instance, then you might be resting your thumb on the E string. Muting is very important, and slightly harder to do due to the extra strings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Thanks for the replies folks....i am hoping to get the hang of it but not in a hurry to do so....i just wanted to explore some more options and hopefully click with it...i'm really pleased with it...it's a beast but beautiful to the eye. Fingers crossed lol

I'd be tempted to only play the six for a few months even if you don't touch the extra strings. 

5 hours ago, ambient said:

Watch videos of great 6 string players like Steve Lawson, who I ended up studying with in the end when I was having problems adapting to the 6. When I first started on a 6 string about 15 years ago, I was still trying to play like a 5, particularly with my right-hand. A good right hand technique is to follow the strings down as you move, so if you're playing notes on the D string for instance, then you might be resting your thumb on the E string. Muting is very important, and slightly harder to do due to the extra strings.

Even when I play the 4 string i adopt the floating thumb method...so i mute the string that's not been played...personally i don't know any other method i couldn't imagine myself playing any other way.....when i went for my first ever lesson my tutor then showed me and it just stuck...i tried lessons with another guy a couple of years later when my original tutor stopped teaching but he tried to change my style and i just couldn't get on with him

8 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Even when I play the 4 string i adopt the floating thumb method...so i mute the string that's not been played...personally i don't know any other method i couldn't imagine myself playing any other way.....when i went for my first ever lesson my tutor then showed me and it just stuck...i tried lessons with another guy a couple of years later when my original tutor stopped teaching but he tried to change my style and i just couldn't get on with him

Wonder why he tried to change how you play?

Anyway, keep at it, 6 string bass is brilliant.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Wonder why he tried to change how you play?

Anyway, keep at it, 6 string bass is brilliant.

He was only a young lad....i only had the one lesson....i personally worked hard on feel and technique and received some positive feedback about my sound...i remember an instance i was playing a gig with a Squier Jazz and tatty old Carlsbro Viper 90w Combo and a fellow Bassist said how do you get such a great sound from cheapo gear.....he told me he was going home to burn his thousand pound Musicman and grands worth of Ampeg stack lol....i said it was in my fingers...i'll be the first to admit I'm no great shakes but i keep it smooth and simple 

• Like 2