Why become a member? ×

12 and 8 String Basses

Hobbayne

@Al Krow oh sweet Jesus Bas, all you have done is find out what most people already knew that some manufacturers make a multi string bass, then because you have the horn for a neck through and decided Schecter are an OK brand (in which the QC and innovation is probably more centered in the new range cf the old range) based on someone else’s research (wonder who that was....) you declared the Schecter King and are now getting one, only if I get a 12 string, despite being less than tepid on an 8 string not long ago.

Never professed to be an expert, never make sweeping judgements or comments without due diligence or knowledge, in general of course, I fear the opposite is a nigh on daily occurrence for you.

Bas it’s like being back at school with plasticine and potty time, or fuzzy felt and stickle bricks with you sometimes, I know you used to look at my homework and pretend it’s yours.

Go in Bas, get your nap in before milk and cookies

ps love you xxxxx

3 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

It was factory strings. If you played 5th fret and below you were laughing. Above the 7th things started to go awry and by the time you reached 12th fret the octave string was almost a half step out.

I'd like to replace the word odd in my previous comment with the word outrageous.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

If manufacturers made self intonating strings, every bridge on any stringed instrument would pretty much become redundant from an adjustment perspective.  There's probably some long and drawn out article online somewhere covering the science behind string gauge, string length, action, tuning and the effects thereon, but just trust us, for a 12 (or 8) stringed bass you really should have a bridge with eight saddles, one for each of the fundamentals, another to carry the octave strings. 

Yes.  That's why I find it hard to understand how an instrument with such a difference in string gauges adjacent to each other would be sold without being independently adjustable for each saddle.  I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised when Leo's bridges were pairing different gauges on the same saddle for years and they're still popular.

Never played one, no real interest in playing one but as far as intonation goes I’m guessing there is a reason when in the studio many producers like to use a regular 6 string guitar and a Nashville tuned guitar to emulate a 12 string guitar tones. It’s much more stable in terms of pitch/intonation. I could imagine intonation on an 8 or 12 bass could get problematic real quick. 

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That sounds like a really good option. How much to get the Schaller fitted (I'm guessing £150 parts and labour?); so a decent and nicely set up ESP 8 for £730 or if you're pushing the boat out a bit further a Schecter Stiletto NT for £970; and then there is always the Spector Legend 8 for £600 as a third option... :) 

That looks ok too. Does that have 8 saddles? Can't really see from the pictures.

Agreed. My best guess is that it won't be anything special as a bridge, as this is very much a budget Spector. Edit: but my best guess on this would be wrong (see next comment below). Spector do seem to be pulling up the bottom end of the 8 string price range with aplomb! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

http://www.spectorbass.com/legend8classic

"BRIDGE : Special Two Piece 8st bridge"

It's the same bridge that every  Korean-made 8-string bass with individual saddles sports.

Having owned a Carlo Robelli 8-string bass with that bridge, it does the job in an OK fashion, but the separate tail piece is particularly ugly.

If you want a really good bridge on your 8-string bass you either need a Japanese Tune Bass or something fitted with the 8-string version of the Schaller 3D Bridge.

Edited by BigRedX

FYI for any of you out there on the 8 String trail that happen to like a Sandberg bass, Sandberg produced about 10 or so, so the unicorns are out there.

I have no further details except the last one left the factory last year to I think an endorsing artist, and that Sandberg produce quality machines.

They have no plans to do any more currently, which is a shame.

Oh the cataldo thunderbird 12 looks nice. I am thinking not too cheap.

I think I probably will pick up a 12 or even 8 at some point, but it needs to be cheap as I really don't expect that it would be used all the time, although probably ok if it is a project and needs some work.

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh the cataldo thunderbird 12 looks nice. I am thinking not too cheap.

I think I probably will pick up a 12 or even 8 at some point, but it needs to be cheap as I really don't expect that it would be used all the time, although probably ok if it is a project and needs some work.

I think the cataldo was $3200. I don't think that's bad at all. Hamer were selling the chaparral for £4000 before fender shut them and that's 6 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

I think the cataldo was $3200. I don't think that's bad at all. Hamer were selling the chaparral for £4000 before fender shut them and that's 6 years ago. 

Seems reasonable for what it is, but way out of my range. And I think I would probably have gone for the australian one first (purely on image - I haven't heard or played either) in that range.

7 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Thanks for posting the videos, both enjoyable for a course-tuning perv like myself!

I was somewhat amused by the fellow in the second one going to the unusual effort of tweaking the preamp with his fretting hand, and then somewhat dismayed by his assertion that the height of the nut was responsible for buzzing on fretted notes. Still, plenty of nice "B-ching!" to cheer the evening along! :)

My pleasure. 'Course-tuning'??