Why become a member? ×

12 and 8 String Basses

Hobbayne

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

so The dean Edge is discontinued as an 8 string...there is still this handsome beast.

Although there are a few 8 strings around, that, the dean Rhapsody is I think the only reasonably priced 12 string you can get as a new instrument.

Why they discontinued the edge for the rhapsody I don't know.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Although there are a few 8 strings around, that, the dean Rhapsody is I think the only reasonably priced 12 string you can get as a new instrument.

Why they discontinued the edge for the rhapsody I don't know.

The Dean 12 is somewhat "meh." I would avoid.

As for them discontinuing the Edge, I'd imagine they wanted the Rhapsody basses to match. Pity that they're not that great.

I've promised myself that I'd stick to a one in one out policy with my gear this year - although I've allowed myself a bit of leeway on the type of guitar :) 

Well I've just managed to move on my 1996 Fender Strat that was in pretty mint condition (showing how little use it had and why it deserved a more appreciative home!) and dropped it off to the guy who had bought it off me via eBay.

Turns out that he's a fellow bassist who set up a mixing and mastering company at the turn of the century. Invited me in for a cuppa and his current clients include, wait for it(!) MUSE, COLDPLAY, and TAKE THAT!! He was given Chris Martin's acoustic guitar as a gift! Lovely guy. He's recommended that I check out SGC Nanyo MIJ late 80s and 90s basses whose designs were apparently 'ripped off' by Ibanez (which I really rate)...any fans of SGCs on here?

In the meantime, I'm actually two six string guitars out the door and just one bass in this year, so I now need to make my mind up...an 8 string or a 5 string fretless? Hmmm...decisions... :)

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've promised myself that I'd stick to a one in one out policy with my gear this year - although I've allowed myself a bit of leeway on the type of guitar :) 

So one 4 string, one 5 string, one 8 string, one 12 string, one upright, one 4 string fretless, one 5 string fretless... etc?

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

So one 4 string, one 5 string, one 8 string, one 12 string, one upright, one 4 string fretless, one 5 string fretless... etc?

Nearly :) 

Two 4 strings (one flatwound, one roundwound), two 5 strings (a P/J and a twin double humbicker), one 6 string, , one 12 string, one electric upright, one 4 string fretless, and (possibly) either an 8 string or a 5 string fretless... etc? Am I overdoing it?

You'll be pleased to hear that I never did go for that spendy second hand NS Design EUB you and I saw me lusting over in Wunjos in the end...combination of price and being on a stand...

And you?

2 minutes ago, bartelby said:

After I've bought nothing, musical wise, since the mixer near the end of last year. All my GAS energy is being put into refurbing my guitar amp and finishing fx projects.

Sounds very productive (and rewarding). Good for you B.

23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

10 string fretless? :D

Would need to be and a decent ebony fretboard and probably flat-wound strings (to avoid too much string damage to the the fretboard) and could you make that a P/J bass neck through whilst you're at it? And I'll probably end up taking (expensive) bass (and singing) lessons from Cuzzie 'cos by the time we've found one he's going to have made his fame and fortune as the the next Kings X frontman.

• Haha 1

Digitech Mosaic - a pretty good approximation to an 8 string on a 4 string bass? 

Here's a review of the pedal I found on the 'other' forum:

'If you like presence and bright but not tinny at all (I suppose because it is built for "jangle" in the first place) and super clean (depending on how articulate you play) the mosaic gives you clean in spades. I would most likely use the compressor with it as it does brighten/sharpen up everything. The separation of octaves is wide open and very apparent. I noticed no tracking problems. 

Here's the killer. I kicked in the Sub-n-up and got three chilling octaves! Still clean as a whistle. Depending on your genre and play style it will absolutely give you and new sound. I tested on an Ibby Mikro played through a D800 and 2x115 Subways with no horns active, but intend to also try a P and a BTB 5'er (High C). 
The Chorus does what you'd expect but more pronounced and out front with the octave. 

It is definitely unforgiving as far as exposing your playing ability, good or bad. When you step on the pedal you are essentially boosting for soloing, but that is only from the fiddling I did with it in a very short time. I'm sure it can be toned down or dampened to suit setting in a full song as the intended bass sound. Sounds like a clean 8 string. Definitely not wimpy or weak, no soak at all that I noticed and could be pretty hard/harsh if you want or, hmmmm likened to good diaphragmatic support as in voice, being strong and solid at a lower volume as well. I'm surprisingly impressed.'

It's selling for £100 at Andertons incl. P&P and that's LESS than the $149 US price for the pedal at Sweetwater, which given that it is a US made pedal and we would need to add transport and tax on top if we imported, sounds like a bit of a bargain...hmmm I need to take my foot off the pedal GAS

Edited by Al Krow

Might sound good, not going to be the same though. I don't see how there is an effect way of getting to an 8/12 string, because it isn't a question of taking what you play and making a copy an octave up, as that is not what you get on an 8 string, you sometimes get an octave up, sometimes not quite or just over an octave, sometimes slightly after the note, or slightly before the note, or maybe just the octave and not the lower note.

• Like 1

Finally I can agree with this and not just in theory but practically having used octave pedals and a 12ver, but if what any pedal gives you works for you then it’s not a bad thing, but it will not be a multisteing instrument.

Its like bass done by a keyboard, yep the bassline will be there, but it’s not the same

@Wolverinebass hey buddy, this guy has used it live and on studio recordings in lieu of a 12 string (instead of a 6 string) guitar. Check this out (playing kicks in at 1.00)

I've not found anything on YouTube using a bass*, but I'm guessing as with a number of octave pedals aimed at guitar this should work just as well with bass.

Maybe we should put an 8 string head to head with a Mosaic and upload on YouTube at some point soon?

You're a bloo*dy bass player: stop getting ideas above your sonic zone :) 

Really good article shared by the guy in the US whom I quoted above - comment 1 below the article was helpful about the importance of having a slight delay, second comment about the quality of Digitech products more generally. Is that something you've heard?

http://tonereport.com/reviews/digitech-mosaic

Subject to folk having concerns about the build quality of Digitech gear, I'm definitely tempted to get the Mosaic and maybe the real thing too - as I mentioned I'm one more axe 'out' than 'in' this year :) 

I suspect they will both have their time and place in terms of convenience for gigs (pedal) vs reality and the sheer pleasure of playing (the 8 string).

I use a Variax and while the 8 and 12 strings are decent approximations, and will do the job in their own way rather than take another bass to a gig, that is all they are, approximations. As is that pedal above. None of these will ever have the sound of real multiple courses, that slight delay between courses, the characteristics you get from actually striking more than one string. This can't be replicated by modulating the sound of a single string. 

• Like 2