Why become a member? ×

12 and 8 String Basses

Hobbayne

9 minutes ago, cattytown said:

I think I can say with a degree of confidence the schecter isn't for sale anymore :-)

Paul.

Congratulations on your new acquisition  (and helpfully one less temptation in my path!)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

What you want is to start with that 8-string, then add some octave courses...

That guy is a world class tool. I hadn't been aware of YouTube idiots as I never really watch things like this, but, a tool who plays variations of the same 5 slap licks is nothing more than he is at least on cursory glance. I'm happy to avoid it.

However on a lighter note as he's known as Davie504, it does conjure up images of science fiction dystopia where people don't have full names and have bar codes tattooed on their arms. 

I seem to have went off reservation there, but seriously, if anyone uses that idea, I want royalties. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2018 at 17:03, cattytown said:

Thanks - sounds and plays nice. 

How's the Schecter 8 holding up? Going to be a keeper or too soon to decide on that? Can you see yourself using it live or will it be just for the bedroom?

Love it thanks - tweaked the setup  a fair bit - reduced neck relief, adjusted action a little. Mainly going to be a bedroom toy - I don't really have time for being in a band for the next couple of years. My repertoire is also such that local dep jobs would be awkward too! once the kids are old enough to get themselves around and be left unattended I might start looking.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ok it's taken me the best part of the year to join this illustrious club, but I'm delighted to finally do so!

An 8-string was going to be my "treat" bass if I managed to pull a particular work related thing off, and I'd set my heart on a Schecter Stiletto 8  - almost bought the bass that Cattytown in the end snapped up and which we were discussing some 7 months back. Well that work thing finally happened a couple of weeks back and I was very fortunate to find a used Schecter Stiletto 8 string in very good condition for sale up in Scotland, from a really decent bloke (whom I've tried to persuade to join us on BC as I'm sure he'd love it).

Immediate first impression is that it's lighter than I was expecting: certainly lighter than some of my 5'ers. That was a nice surprise. I guess I was anticipating a wider neck to cope with 8 strings but this feels much more like the neck and body of a 4 string. It's also surprisingly easy to play single strings plucking upwards with fingers to enable it to be used as a normal 4 string bass and then fill out the sound with the octave strings added with a thumb down-stroke hitting both strings.

Looking forward to giving it a proper workout in the weeks ahead.

Schecter I.jpg

Schecter II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks great!

Thanks buddy - I'll have to 'fess when it comes to looks, I'm a complete sucker for a neck-through! 

3 hours ago, cattytown said:

Yay! Welcome to the club!

Cheers :) I take it you're still enjoying yours then?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Indeed that is a funny view (not criticising) as it’s by no means a reflection of build quality, but will of course be a subject of debates about the benefits of 1 vs another etc

Indeed an interesting question. My point was purely a cosmetic one (being a sucker for the look of a neck through). 

However just taking one much loved manufacturer to illustrate:

Yamaha make some superb basses. If you ask Yamaha fans which were Yamaha's very best basses over the last 40 years they would almost certainly include the BB1200 / 1200S; the BB3000; the TRPB5pii and the BBNE2.

What do they ALL have in common? Well they are made by Yamaha. And they are all neck through. Coincidence? I don't think so.

On 21/01/2018 at 12:59, Sean said:

Here’s my Schecter. It has Nordstrand Big Blades in it. Amazing upgrade over the passive EMGs that are stock. I don't think I'd ever played a Korean-made Schecter before this but would highly recommend, it's a very good instrument.

I should have some tracks that I can post for you to listen to.

F8B6DDDC-C8FE-4E19-98B3-2AB61202CF64.jpeg

5DD0EA9B-7104-4967-9D21-C25A65CA3E93.jpeg

On 21/01/2018 at 14:35, Sean said:

I swapped the EMGs out and bought the Nords in the USA.

I have the Schecter pictured above, it's the Stiletto Studio 8. I love a neck-thru.

Oh my! If there is one thing I would maybe at some point love to follow suit on, it would be to do the upgrade you did with your Schecter Stiletto to the Nordy big singles. I absolutely love the Nords in my Ibby... but it would probably be good for me to "live with" the standard EMGs in the Stiletto for a little while first.

Hah - another neck-through fan I see :) 

Edited by Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Indeed that is a funny view (not criticising) as it’s by no means a reflection of build quality, but will of course be a subject of debates about the benefits of 1 vs another etc

I know it isn't, as I said, most of my basses aren't neck through, including my 'main' basses, the 1605 & 5005 ibanezes and the Maruszczyk, but it doesn't take that impression out of my head.

19 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Late to the party here, but did anyone see this 8 string acoustic made by Emerald guitars!

Yup! Andy T beat you to the draw on that one (back in Feb) and was retailing at a bargain basement £4,000 or so! :) 

@Al Krow or chronology/cost Bias

BB1200 - first proper BB bass - nostalgia

BB3000 - re design, altered pick up placement and higher fret access to improve the 2000

TRP - new model

Nathan East - bling, pre amp and bloody expensive soncourse you are gonna like it to justify the expense!

Aesthetically neck through looks nice too.

The debate can extend to 1 piece/multi piece basses with fans and detractors and reasons either way for the argument 

Some “random” comments 

1. I finally have my Helix set up in a way that I can emulate my 8 string without feeling like a nob. It made my last PJ tribute gig a 2 bass affair instead of 3 which was handy given the lack of room in the van, still prefer taking the 8 when possible though

2. Plectrum over fingers for tonal reasons

3. Another solid EMG Hz alternative are the Seymour Duncan soapbars, very impressed with them

4. Passive over active for me on 8s

5. @Al Krow set neck is best ;)

34 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Al Krow or chronology/cost Bias

BB1200 - first proper BB bass - nostalgia

BB3000 - re design, altered pick up placement and higher fret access to improve the 2000

TRB(5pii)  - new model [BK edit: not "TRP"]

Nathan East - bling, pre amp and bloody expensive soncourse you are gonna like it to justify the expense!

Aesthetically neck through looks nice too.

The debate can extend to 1 piece/multi piece basses with fans and detractors and reasons either way for the argument 

Haha - love the amateur arm chair approach to authoritative commentary! Reminds me a bit of well er...me actually 😂 Should probably leave the guys with some proper historical knowlege of Yammys @hookys6stringbass and @pete.young to set the record straight on why the above Yammy neck-throughs are some of their finest.

18 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

1. I finally have my Helix set up in a way that I can emulate my 8 string without feeling like a nob. It made my last PJ tribute gig a 2 bass affair instead of 3 which was handy given the lack of room in the van, still prefer taking the 8 when possible though

2. Plectrum over fingers for tonal reasons

3. Another solid EMG Hz alternative are the Seymour Duncan soapbars, very impressed with them

4. Passive over active for me on 8s

5. @Al Krow set neck is best ;)

Some interesting points:

1. Love to hear some clips of how your Helix sounds in terms of polyphonic octave up tracking - would you be able to post some for us?

2. Noted :) 

3. What I love about the Nords is their throaty growl. What are the Seymour Duncans like in terms of sound / punchiness?

4. Why? Active just gives you a) more bite b) greater tonal control at the bass 

5. didn't quite follow your terminology: "set neck" = bolt on or neck through?

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow be happy to find out if I am wrong with chronology, but before berating  did you check it yourself?!

Its an alternate theory which I think you will find holds water.

So in your arm chair or expert view:

Through neck vs bolt vs set.

1 piece vs more pieces bodies

laminate vs single piece neck

Fretboard properties on sound