Why become a member? ×

12 and 8 String Basses

Hobbayne

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Seems I felt myself disconcertingly tempted to put some money down on a spector classic 8 this weekend :D 

Oooh enjoy! Look forward to getting your thoughts on it when you've had a chance to put it through its paces!

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So in order of preference, what are / have been your favourite 8 string basses? I find myself disconcertingly tempted to get one later this year (when I've managed to move on some existing kit)!

Depends on what criteria you use to define "better." If I did it again, I'd go full custom neck through but that's just me. In terms of what is available, I'd get the Frank Bello ESP. After that it's take your pick. The old Ibanez ones are good but weigh a ton. In terms of current availability, probably the spector or Dean Edge. But I'd be modding them. Probably the Spector is better in terms of wood choices, but that depends if you care.

27 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Depends on what criteria you use to define "better." If I did it again, I'd go full custom neck through but that's just me. In terms of what is available, I'd get the Frank Bello ESP. After that it's take your pick. The old Ibanez ones are good but weigh a ton. In terms of current availability, probably the spector or Dean Edge. But I'd be modding them. Probably the Spector is better in terms of wood choices, but that depends if you care.

So if ESP make an 8 string bridge for that bass why don't they make it for the normal ESP 8 string?

I went for the spector as beyond the fact it is an 8 string, its neck profile and looks appear like something I can live with.

Here’s my Schecter. It has Nordstrand Big Blades in it. Amazing upgrade over the passive EMGs that are stock. I don't think I'd ever played a Korean-made Schecter before this but would highly recommend, it's a very good instrument.

I should have some tracks that I can post for you to listen to.

F8B6DDDC-C8FE-4E19-98B3-2AB61202CF64.jpeg

5DD0EA9B-7104-4967-9D21-C25A65CA3E93.jpeg

Edited by Sean
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Are those nordy blades?

Yes. In 30+ years of swapping out pickups these are the best I've tried. The difference is massive. I'm a big fan of these blades and am considering put a set of P and J blades in my Valenti.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Wrong answer. I was hoping you were going to say Shecter Stiletto :D

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

Yes. In 30+ years of swapping out pickups these are the best I've tried. The difference is massive. I'm a big fan of these blades and am considering put a set of P and J blades in my Valenti.

+1 for Nordstrands.

Pups maketh the bass! And I'm loving the Nords in my Ibby SR 4 string and 6 string basses.

So Sean do you have a Schecter 8 (which model?) in which you've swapped in Nords or did you manage to order with Nords when you bought?

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 for Nordstrands.

Pups maketh the bass! And I'm loving the Nords in my Ibby SR 4 string and 6 string basses.

So Sean do you have a Schecter 8 (which model?) in which you've swapped in Nords or did you manage to order with Nords when you bought?

I swapped the EMGs out and bought the Nords in the USA.

I have the Schecter pictured above, it's the Stiletto Studio 8. I love a neck-thru.

Ah yes, dunno how I missed that!

In terms of 8 string and pups that's pretty much what I would go for too(!) - like you, I think there's something special about a neck through. (I'd probably go for the Honey Satin finish, but that's obviously pretty cosmetic / marginal in the scheme of things!)

Interestingly one of the reviews referred to the 'considerable' string tension on an 8 string bass neck (and therefore even more so on a 12 I presume) and that a neck through would provide greater stability than a bolt on neck in relation to this. Something I'd always suspected as being an additional benefit of NTs, in additon to their greater sustain and let's face it, fantastic appearance; but it seems like this additional strength benefit may well also be the case?

Did you go for the Studio or the Deluxe version of the Schecter Stiletto and is there much of a difference?

Those Nords look very snug - identical in size to the EMGs you've replaced? Which Nord Pups did you go for?

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes, dunno how I missed that!

In terms of 8 string and pups that's pretty much what I would go for too(!) - like you, I think there's something special about a neck through. (I'd probably go for the Honey Satin finish, but that's obviously pretty cosmetic / marginal in the scheme of things!)

Interestingly one of the reviews referred to the 'considerable' string tension on an 8 string bass neck (and therefore even more so on a 12 I presume) and that a neck through would provide greater stability than a bolt on neck in relation to this. Something I'd always suspected as being an additional benefit of NTs, in additon to their greater sustain and let's face it, fantastic appearance; but it seems like this additional strength benefit may well also be the case?

Did you go for the Studio or the Deluxe version of the Schecter Stiletto and is there much of a difference?

Those Nords look very snug - identical in size to the EMGs you've replaced? Which Nord Pups did you go for?

It's the Studio version - I picked it up at an amazing price and it was in stock in the UK. Always fancied one.

The Nords are EMG sized and the Clean and Clear versions of the Big Blades. I would rate them as highly as the G&L MFDs and the Yamaha BB2024x pickups. Very different but as good and with buckets of their own personality.

Here's the Schecter 8 in a band setting at a jam this week. Drums, bass, loud guitar, vocal. Roughly recorded on a Zoom H2n and then a few tweaks. It's as rough as you like but gives an idea. Not as high in the mix as I'd like but...

Edited by Sean
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Strange thing is, looking around, the ESP Ltd B-208 advertised in the states has 8 saddles such as this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B208STBLK

whereas the ones around here appear to have 4 saddles.

I wonder if this is a change in model, or just a slight difference in markets.

That bridge is the same as the Schecter one.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well did it happen? Or did you manage to take a pill to stop the flow of GAS?!

It did, I didn't:

Thank you for choosing Andertons Music for your purchase.

To confirm that the following item(s) on your order are currently out of stock:

Spector Bass Legend 8 Classic Black Stain (Stockcode SL8CLBKS)

Our suppliers have informed us that we will be receiving our order on or around  25th January.

Ooh - thats soon :)