Why become a member? ×

12 and 8 String Basses

Hobbayne

Tom Petersson's original basses were made by Hamer. The idea being that Cheap trick wanted the biggest sound they could get. The singer Robin Zander occasionally plays a 12 string guitar.

He still uses one to this day and his most recent one is a beauty - a Gretsch White Falcon the price tag is eye watering but I think in terms of looks it might even beat the Chandler Royale 

June16_LNU_Gretsch_Petersson_FEAT.jpg?14

tom56x.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Tom Petersson's original basses were made by Hamer. The idea being that Cheap trick wanted the biggest sound they could get. The singer Robin Zander occasionally plays a 12 string guitar.

He still uses one to this day and his most recent one is a beauty - a Gretsch White Falcon the price tag is eye watering but I think in terms of looks it might even beat the Chandler Royale 

June16_LNU_Gretsch_Petersson_FEAT.jpg?14

tom56x.jpg

Cool hat, cool bass.

I remember when Cheap Trick were still playing in bars.

How cool is that playing through a Highwatt!

I remember going to see Rick Deringer in a small bar in Rockford IL. Went into the bathroom, then in walks Rick, Robin Tom and Bunny.

Went to see Jefff Beck with Tal at Turner Hall a few years ago. I just walked right in on the sound check, just me and the band. "They were playing Ain't Supertitious" I got scared and left before I got thrown out. A big deal for a guy that as a teen lived Truth & Beckola.

I stood right in front of the stage for the show, a few feet away from Jeff. I noticed how the older guy standing next to me eyes were glued on Jeff's fingers. It was Rick Neilson.

Great story, right?

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

10 hours ago, ambient said:

The guy from Pearl Jam.

ament8x.jpg

Jeff Ament - if you want to hear a 12ver on it's own then listen to Jeremy. That's his own version of the B12A. The "A" stood for acoustic and the regular version looked like this:

ipb6bssvjmuzkfplsgql.jpg

Unless you play it really low with a plectrum I always thought it looked like a big cumbersome bass to play.

In the early 2000's there were loads of cheaper 12vers floating around - most made in the same factory that makes the Dean Rhapsody. I bought one from the USA when the exchange rate was 2:1 and used it for entire rock gigs and I don't use a plectrum.

DSC00622.thumb.JPG.dfc1c7cae2dcc701e74ddba68f511f19.JPG

2 hours ago, Delberthot said:

In the early 2000's there were loads of cheaper 12vers floating around - most made in the same factory that makes the Dean Rhapsody. I bought one from the USA when the exchange rate was 2:1 and used it for entire rock gigs and I don't use a plectrum.

DSC00622.thumb.JPG.dfc1c7cae2dcc701e74ddba68f511f19.JPG

Thats lovely, I would get one like that in a flash. I look on eBay every so often, they have the Dean Rhapsody which is a bit ugly, but would be ok if it was cheap enough. One on there at the moment but more than I would pay for something that I have no idea if I would be using, especially on something where you have no idea if you could sell if you didn't like it

58 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

CT in Manchester last year...

Maybe not the bes clip for showing off the tones of a 12-stringer (or any bass, for that matter..)..! I can't remember ever having listened to any track at all and thought 'Hmm, that's a 12-string'. I'm sure that the sound in isolation is identifiable, but with the rest of the racket going on in that clip the bloke could just as well have been miming, for all I could make of it. :$

Yep a 12 String is in my list of to gets when the right one comes along. For me it’s all about dUg Pinnick and he had a Hamer before his custom Yamaha.

I had a long look at Waterstone, Musicvox, Galveston and that Dean, but I don’t think any of them live up to the Hamer IMO.

This guy in Australia is doing custom 12vers and I think they look the beans. It will set you back about £3k before any import.

http://www.konigbassworx.com.au/kbwbassgalleryK12.html

43 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe not the best clip for showing off the tones of a 12-stringer (or any bass, for that matter..)..! I can't remember ever having listened to any track at all and thought 'Hmm, that's a 12-string'. I'm sure that the sound in isolation is identifiable, but with the rest of the racket going on in that clip the bloke could just as well have been miming, for all I could make of it. :$

Try this one...

Edited by 12stringbassist

51 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe not the bes clip for showing off the tones of a 12-stringer (or any bass, for that matter..)..! I can't remember ever having listened to any track at all and thought 'Hmm, that's a 12-string'. I'm sure that the sound in isolation is identifiable, but with the rest of the racket going on in that clip the bloke could just as well have been miming, for all I could make of it. :$

I don't hear it in cheap trick when I am listening. The only time I have ever really heard it is in pearl jam where it is much more noticable

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Yep a 12 String is in my list of to gets when the right one comes along. For me it’s all about dUg Pinnick and he had a Hamer before his custom Yamaha.

I had a long look at Waterstone, Musicvox, Galveston and that Dean, but I don’t think any of them live up to the Hamer IMO.

This guy in Australia is doing custom 12vers and I think they look the beans. It will set you back about £3k before any import.

http://www.konigbassworx.com.au/kbwbassgalleryK12.html

Now that is beautiful!

• Like 1