Why become a member? ×

How the hell do you play with a pick?

thepurpleblob

12 hours ago, discreet said:

Quite. I played exclusively with a pick for more than thirty years - I only started playing fingerstyle relatively recently, about five or ten years ago. I wish I'd done it much sooner, as of course both techniques are valid and both are very useful. I sometimes use both in the same piece.

Same here, I decided I really should learn how to play fingerstyle a few years back, and it came in handy as my then band did a set where we played all our songs in a jazz-style, with playing fingerstyle suiting it much better than with a pick.

For reference I use the Dunlop Tortex Triangles - 1.14mm. They`re big, and essentially 2 picks in one due to the triangular shape, which makes things a lot better if it slips whilst playing. Like many I`ve never dropped a pick.

Edited by Lozz196

• 1 year later...
On 13/01/2018 at 11:17, Linus27 said:

I used to be a pick player as for me it suited the music and was the most natural way to play. Today I play both fingers and pick. The picking hand should be the most automatic process possible and follow the feel of the bass line and song. You don't limit yourself to up/down/up/down as the most efficient process, that's just utter rubbish. It should be what the bass line dictates. As an example, this is an old video (2008) of me playing pick to one of my own songs. The intro is all down strokes, it's the only way it works to give the desired effect. Then the verse is up and down and a mix of both, again, because it's what works. Its all about flow rather than technique. There is also no conection to what the fretting hand is doing. They are both seperate processes. The other thing to notice is if you listen with the volume off, my movement of my picking hand is consistent. This is what I mean by it being an automatic process. My wrist or arm is not changing or moving in different ways. I guess its similar to constantly strumming a guitar. Finally, most of the movement/strokes is in the wrist. So much so that my wrist used to lay against the top of my bass and rub the skin away on my wrist. 

This is a very useful post.  Love the video.

I'm currently under pressure from my band leader to play certain songs with a pick ("I'm not going to tell you how to play your bass, mate", then proceeds to tell me how to play my bass...)

Anyway, I have played a little with a pick before, so "no problem", I think.  Only he insists that my alternate up and down strokes are very, very wrong, and that everything should be played on a down stroke.  Now, maybe I've misunderstood him, but it seems whether it's down strokes only or alternate up and down is down to the song and the sound required?

Looks like more practice required on my part...

9 minutes ago, missis sumner said:

I'm currently under pressure from my band leader to play certain songs with a pick ("I'm not going to tell you how to play your bass, mate", then proceeds to tell me how to play my bass...)

Anyway, I have played a little with a pick before, so "no problem", I think.  Only he insists that my alternate up and down strokes are very, very wrong, and that everything should be played on a down stroke.  Now, maybe I've misunderstood him, but it seems whether it's down strokes only or alternate up and down is down to the song and the sound required?

What's the song?

By the way, had a listen to the stuff you posted on SELOC and it sounds great.

1 minute ago, Linus27 said:

What's the song?

By the way, had a listen to the stuff you posted on SELOC and it sounds great.

They're all originals that we're doing at the moment - all his own compositions.  He is an awesome guitarist, and has played bass in bands before, so I do respect what he's saying, it's just that his "people skills" could use some work.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I saw Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons last year. They do a little bit of an audience interaction routine as a sort of 'ritual' before Tyla Cambell goes into the bass riff og Ace of Spades.

Of course this time he hits the e-string and his pick flies off into space 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, missis sumner said:

Play with your back to him. He'll never know the difference. I had exactly the same thing asked of me in the distance past and he couldn't tell without looking.

As an aside I've always been a plectrum monkey. I use Clayton 1.07 big triangles. I've never dropped one either.

On 13/01/2018 at 10:29, thepurpleblob said:

The big one - how do you mute?

Given your right hand (or picking hand) can't be everywhere at once, I know I rely much more on the left (fingering) hand for control / damping. The other thing is the right edge of hand (fleshy bit above pinky) - often used to get a full damped sound (like when Fenders had a pad under bridge cover, or like what Carol Kaye sometimes did with her basses) - use that back edge of hand to damp, but it's not selective, I mean you can't select one string this way.
I think it's a really good technique to have, totally different attack sound to fingers, requires serious accuracy... so it's just practice. There are some basslines you just can't get the same any other way.
I tend to use those really thick molded ones with finger/thumb recess - less chance of losing (only slightly less!), and so stiff you have no margin for error - the flexi ones make it a little easier but in turn the pin-sharp accuracy goes with it.
Good things I reckon - IIRC: Chris Squire; Phil Lynott... and loads more.  

4 hours ago, missis sumner said:

He probably can't do alternate picking and failed his shredding exams, so he's p****d that you can.

I don't like using a plectrum much. I like nice low action so it tends to make a bass sound clanky, and I can pluck faster with my fingers (my one and only flash move is a Sheenan-style three-finger trill). I also play guitar fingerstyle more often than with a plecky.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2019 at 15:33, Stub Mandrel said:

He probably can't do alternate picking and failed his shredding exams, so he's p****d that you can.

I don't like using a plectrum much. I like nice low action so it tends to make a bass sound clanky, and I can pluck faster with my fingers (my one and only flash move is a Sheenan-style three-finger trill). I also play guitar fingerstyle more often than with a plecky.

Three fingers. 😎

I like to try this, but not in public. lol

• Haha 2

I had to start using a pick after a motorcycle accident left me with a permanently damaged right hand. Took a little while to get used to it, but now I play in a band which covers material in which the original bass player had a distinctive tone and his use of a pick was a big part of that. I prefer thick and totally inflexible picks, currently 3mm Dunlop big stubbies. Haven't dropped one yet (a pick, I mean!) despite having a much reduced grip in my right hand.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I prefer thick and totally inflexible picks

Me too - way better. I think the tone is sharper / cleaner in the attack, and it forces accuracy as there is no give. Those soft ones are actually a bit inaccurate I reckon - got some no-brand really thick molded ones with indents for thumb / finger - great, cheap (I mislay them). I'm kind of back on using picks recently quite a bit.