Why become a member? ×

Is there a bass somewhere that doesn’t “play like a dream”?

PawelG

22 hours ago, PawelG said:

Or “like butter”?

Seems like all of the second hand basses advertised online have that in the description. 

mojo

there was a thread recently on faceache cant remember where , the jist of which some young(er than me) whippersnapper was commenting whether he could justify calling something 'relic'd' to which i responded that you possibly could but beware of miserable old cynics such as myself who have been around the block a few times and know what roadworn look like as compared to careless and neglectful handling

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

Hehe. The thing is one doesn't even need to advertise them as playing like a dream. I recently sold 15 basses, and four of them were advertised with a warning about them NOT playing like a dream. The buyers confirmed that they knew what they were going to, and paid me the asking price, which was not lower than similar basses that did indeed play like a dream.

I guess sometimes it's the specific design that's important, and other times it's the buyer's conviction he/she can do something about it.

Also, being honest about these things saves you a lot of trouble afterwards, and it also makes the other ads more trustworthy.

Win win.

Absolutely. I bought a s/h MiM Strat that the seller said had some fret buzz and had priced a bit cheaper than normal. There is a high fret up at the dusty end causing it, but that will be gone after I do a level+crown+polish. Apart from that it is in great condition and I was very pleased with the seller's honesty.

Always pays to be honest and the seller will feel better knowing he hasn't misled someone.

Everyone's a winner with an honest sale.

Now I'm selling my Made in Dumbarton Jazz bass original copy with the lowest action i've ever seen. The strings actually sit on the 12th fret. Bridge is fully adjustable UP the way. Intonation doesn't matter with this incredible bass. Plays itself and the Truss rod is now glued in a fixed position to ensure staright-ish neck. The pick ups are so active i needed to fit them on the back of the bass and she plays like a Scotland mid-fielder on a soggy wet pitch with no boots. £3500 collection only as too valuable to post :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Anyone interested ???  :hi:

EDIT to clarify :- the above bass does not actually exist it was merely a joke about ridiculous claims on basses.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 2

On 1/13/2018 at 11:18, chris_b said:

I try to put all the info into my adverts but some don't put in enough. I still add "non smoking home" in my adverts. I remember the old days when basses, amps and cabs, from smokers, came into our non smoking home and the terrible stink that was so hard to get rid of and made our home smell so bad! Plus the awful smell of tobacco clinging to everything from the gigs!

The inside of the original hard case for my Ovation Magnum 1 smells like a tramp's trousers, but only sometimes.   I think it may be haunted.....

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Makes no sense to me hence the girlfriend analogy. 

„You'd better stop, before you tear me all apart 
You'd better stop, before you go and a break my heart 
Oh, you'd better stop...”

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Always pays to be honest and the seller will feel better knowing he hasn't misled someone.

Everyone's a winner with an honest sale.

Now I'm selling my Made in Dumbarton Jazz bass original copy with the lowest action i've ever seen. The strings actually sit on the 12th fret. Bridge is fully adjustable UP the way. Intonation doesn't matter with this incredible bass. Plays itself and the Truss rod is now glued in a fixed position to ensure staright-ish neck. The pick ups are so active i needed to fit them on the back of the bass and she plays like a Scotland mid-fielder on a soggy wet pitch with no boots. £3500 collection only as too valuable to post :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Anyone interested ???  :hi:

Dave

This should be in the BC Marketplace, 'Basses For Sale' section. I'll leave it unreported for now, as I've got to rush out for an urgent pee errand; please post it in the correct location.

Thanks in advance. :|

• Haha 1

My homemade jazz(ish) bass. The design criteria were that it had to fit TI jazz flats (standard scale) and a Fender hard case. Turned out looking like a cross between a Yamaha TRB and a Jazz Bass. Sounds wonderful, plays like a pig. And a fairly disgruntled, mulish pig, to boot.

5 minutes ago, leschirons said:

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not in resolving the concerns of the OP but I have some butter that tastes like a Jazz bass.

All the shops carry that stuff here in Norway. Here, the brand is called "I Can't Believe It's Not A Jazz!"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, leschirons said:

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not in resolving the concerns of the OP but I have some butter that tastes like a Jazz bass.

Vintage 60's butter ?    That'll be why it smells funny  :)

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This should be in the BC Marketplace, 'Basses For Sale' section. I'll leave it unreported for now, as I've got to rush out for an urgent pee errand; please post it in the correct location.

Thanks in advance. :|

It was a joke xD

There is no bass