Why become a member? ×

Bass lines that really only suite synth bass

KingPrawn

It's possible to get a decent sounding version of this using a Stingray with an envelope filter. Another track which would be better with synth bass is Flashlight. 

Ive played Chameleon live quite often on bass guitar without effects and have merged the bass part from Flashlight with it - having a fat bass sound helps. 

Edited by drTStingray

2 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

I was listening to 6 music earlier. This came on and it struck me that some bass lines are meant for synth bass. I don’t think even with a synth pedal you could accurately produce the feel of this  

To be pedantic I don't think that's synth bass, I'm pretty sure it's a standard bass through an envelope filter pedal.

That seems to be how he played it live in the early days...

Although I've also seen clips of him playing the bass on his synths pretty much all the way through.

As aside I've had some success copying the synth bass on Bruno Mars' 24k magic with a fretless and an envelope filter.

Edit: sorry, Dr Stingray I didn't fully read your post before putting up mine.

Edited by Cato

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

To be pedantic I don't think that's synth bass, I'm pretty sure it's an envelope filter pedal.

I'm pretty sure it's a synth. If Wikipedia is anything to go by: "The piece's signature funky bass line was played by Hancock on an ARP Odyssey, as was one of the keyboard solos."

13 minutes ago, Higgie said:

I'm pretty sure it's a synth. If Wikipedia is anything to go by: "The piece's signature funky bass line was played by Hancock on an ARP Odyssey, as was one of the keyboard solos."

I stand corrected, I was going by early live vids of him performing the song.

Another one from the era of Chameleon but a top 20 single. This always sounded more like an organ to me - i don't know what type of keyboard is used. I think you would need an octaver to perform this on a bass guitar - interesting bit at 1.39 - almost a little bass solo. These tracks are certainly from the days of punchy, up front bass in the mix - none of that woolly rumbling in the background!! 

12 hours ago, KingPrawn said:

I was listening to 6 music earlier. This came on and it struck me that some bass lines are meant for synth bass. I don’t think even with a synth pedal you could accurately produce the feel of this  

There is actually a bass guitar part on this - playing a type of guitar picked line high up on the fretboard. If you are very adventurous you can play the keyboard bass part into a looper on bass guitar with envelope filter and then play the actual bass guitar part over it!!

I'm sure lots of people play this,  the band I'm in plays this the guitarist plays the picked part but changes to duplicate the melody line with the sax - it actually sounds quite effective. 

We play it as a latter day jazz standard along with Watermelon Man and others. 

Edited by drTStingray

16 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Let’s Dance by Bowie is an awesome synth bass line that really isn’t replicated as well by a bass player.

I alway thought that was played on Bass Guitar by Carmine Rojas ?

Blimey, I learn something every day. :$

EDIT: As I first thought. Various articles on the net says it was indeed, Carmine Rojas (including himself).

Thought I was going mad for awhile...xD

Stevie Glasgow posted up a transcription online and some track info, what Bass was used etc... (if anyone is interested).

http://www.stevieglasgow.com/transcriptions_e/let's-dance.html

Edited by lowdown

36 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Very camp :)

But this one back-in-the-day, could never tell if bass was doubled with the synth? anyone know.

Aaah, the subject of a lot of speculation over the years.

Highfox, the answer, from the very man himself....  'Tony Swain'.....Not sure from what article it came from (my son found it recently - He was transcribing the track).

"There has been much speculation about this subject but as I also played and recorded the bass lines it is time to put the record straight!

The Bass was played using an early Roland SH1000 made in the late 70's This was originally designed to sit on top of a Hammond organ so it looked like one! This was a monophonic synth but would play two octaves at once so using a combination of square and sine waves an octave apart combined with a lot of wrestling with a portamento switch to get the slides this is how the bass lines were done. No sequencer was used at all on the bass lines just a lot of sweat and keeping time which was helped by me also being a drummer! The synth was recorded through a Boss chorus guitar pedal (blue type) and then compressed a lot through a studio DBX160 a really great vintage compressor.The bass was very high in the mix but cut through because of the compression and the split octaves.Just an illusion bass was the best of two different lines recorded over two days on Analogue 24tk before digital came in.
I hope this finally answers the question.
All the Best
Tony"

:D

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lowdown said:

I alway thought that was played on Bass Guitar by Carmine Rojas ?

Blimey, I learn something every day. :$

EDIT: As I first thought. Various articles on the net says it was indeed, Carmine Rojas (including himself).

Thought I was going mad for awhile...xD

Stevie Glasgow posted up a transcription online and some track info, what Bass was used etc... (if anyone is interested).

http://www.stevieglasgow.com/transcriptions_e/let's-dance.html

He did, but I think it was double tracked as a synth part too. I'm talking more about it live - I've seen some terrible versions that don't nail it unless it's double tracked.

17 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Weren't  the basslines to Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby and  Frankie GTH's Two Tribes done on a Fairlight? Quite difficult to get the exact sounds on tha bass

I think Hyperactive is more about the exact muting and note length than the exact sound.

And as for Two Tribes, here's Trevor Horn doing a pretty fair job.................

2 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

. . . . as for Two Tribes, here's Trevor Horn doing a pretty fair job.................

Exactly.

A bass guitar can carry any song that was recorded with a keyboard bass line, because they were bass lines in the first place.